What's deal with Peyton Krebs?

dudacek

Peyton Krebs  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best fits your perception of Peyton Krebs?

• I think his offence can take a leap and he'll be a good complementary middle-six piece
    • He will have a solid career as a Dixon Ward-level 2-way NHL 3rd-liner
    • His future is as a 4th line role player, like a Curtis Lazar
    • He'll get another couple sniffs because of his draft pedigree, but is basically on his way out of the NHL
  2. 2. Do you think Peyton Krebs will still be a Buffalo Sabre on Oct. 1, 2025?

10 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

He is mandated to sign it by the CBA

No.  The team is mandated to make that offer.  Once they do that, they own his rights even though he's unsigned.  No one can put a gun to your head and make you sign a contract.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Jorcus said:

Having said that playing as defensive minded 4th liner never hurts a players development

My sense is that the team gave Krebs the assignment of becoming a pesky, defense-first player who's tough to play against.  You can see that he's tried to fulfill that role, but do you think any NHL opponent sees him as tough to play against?  As physically tough?  Bless his heart he tries but he's just not a bruiser.  So from that standpoint I think he's failed at the assignment he was given.  I think Kevyn Adams really wanted to see him succeed but at this point Kevyn recognizes Krebs is not, and will never be, a hard-nosed bottom six player, nor will he improve the top six.  Maybe on a rebuilding team he could earn top-six minutes and his foray into defensive hockey will be an asset.  But even though he's a pretty good defensive player, he just isn't a bottom-six tough guy and never will be.  So give him a chance on a rebuilding team; maybe he can resurrect his stalled career.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe this isn’t that unusual.

Coming off his ELC and a ***** 9-point NHL season, Casey Mittelstadt signed a $875K 1-year deal one week before the start of training camp.

Meanwhile, 2 months earlier, coming off his ELC and a ***** 1-game NHL season, Tage Thompson signed a 3-year deal with a $1.4 AAV.

And a year later, coming off 11 points in 28 COVID season games, Rasmus Asplund signed a 2-year deal for $865K AAV 6 weeks before training camp.

Those are the only 3 comparables of Adams’ career.

The track record shows the holdup here may actually be Adams standing firm on the QA for one-year deal, but dangling more for term. 

Maybe the new Dad who once said he wants to raise a family in Buffalo is looking for security and the GM actually does believe in Krebs and is hoping for another Tage-type win, meaning this is a trickier negotiation than it appears.

Edited by dudacek

What is kinda crazy is seeing how Krebs is actually ahead in his development compared to Tage and Casey coming off their ELCs, and how Asplund wasnt far off either coming off his.

Asplund scored 10 goals over 2 years on his 2nd contract and fell out of the league.

Casey put up 10 on his in just 41 COVID games

Tage? He scored 93 goals over his 3 years on what has to be the biggest bargain 2nd contract in modern Sabres history.

I see no way in hell Krebs develops anywhere close to the way Tage did, but maybe it is a little premature to dismiss him as another Asplund in the making.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

What is kinda crazy is seeing how Krebs is actually ahead in his development compared to Tage and Casey coming off their ELCs, and how Asplund wasnt far off either coming off his.

Asplund scored 10 goals over 2 years on his 2nd contract and fell out of the league.

Tage? He scored 93 goals over his 3 years on what has to be the biggest bargain 2nd contract in modern Sabres history.

I see no way in hell Krebs develops anywhere close to the way Tage did, but maybe it is a little premature to dismiss him as another Asplund in the making.

Tage is a physical freak. It does matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Tage is a physical freak. It does matter. 

No no no.  Every player eventually figures it out like Tage just give Krebs another few years, a few hundred losses. He'll be fine. 

We also seem to forget that Krueger literally cratered every single player on the Sabres for 2 years yet use those to be like ooo ooo look! They got better so well Krebs! 

45 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No no no.  Every player eventually figures it out like Tage just give Krebs another few years, a few hundred losses. He'll be fine. 

We also seem to forget that Krueger literally cratered every single player on the Sabres for 2 years yet use those to be like ooo ooo look! They got better so well Krebs! 

Literally no one is carrying water for Krebs. Some are just saying it isn’t quite time to toss him to the curb. If you disagree and think it is time to move on, that’s fine and fair. No need to paint a fake narrative or argument. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The best thing that can happen for Krebs now is that he signs his QO, comes to camp with w chip on his shoulder, and goes and earns a job in camp.  Prove to Ruff that you belong in the lineup and prove you are more than Lazar 2.0 or Jost 2.0.  

Except, where does he play? Who is he kicking out of the line up? 

33 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe he earns a 3rd line gig and pushed Greenway to the 4th line.  He has good defensive metrics, maybe he pushes Aube-Kubel to the bench.  Kubel has never played a full NHL season.  

The thought that the Sabres have become so good there is no way Krebs can squeeze into the lineup seems wildly optimistic to me.

• 215 20/46/66
  • 105 8/16/24
  • 282 31/47/78
  • 289 36/47/83
  • 219 32/43/75

Never mind the inevitability of injury, check out the career stats. Statistically, he’s cut from similar cloth to our 4 new bottom-6 guys and he’s capable of playing in a similar role. Effort and coachability don’t seem to be issues. And he may have more utility further up the lineup.

Like most of you, I see him starting the season as #13, but it’s not like this team is stuffed full of far better, or more proven players and the coach isn’t the type to sit still.

He has as much chance of being an everyday player as most. He just has to earn it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Through injuries, the 12th-15th forwards in the lineup last season were: Olofsson 51 GP, Jost 43 GP, Robinson 40 GP, and Rousek 15 GP.

Krebs as a 13th forward would still get in a lot of games.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Through injuries, the 12th-15th forwards in the lineup last season were: Olofsson 51 GP, Jost 43 GP, Robinson 40 GP, and Rousek 15 GP.

Assuming he’s healthy, committed to this team, and here, I’d put the over/under of Krebs games at 70.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1

If GMKA really wants to keep Krebs as the unsung future hero of the Eichel trade... I wonder what contract (that DarthPegulasTheWise is willing to pay, unnaturally) is sufficient for Krebs to pass through waivers to Rochester.

Maybe 2 x $2M? 

Krebs has 66 points in 215 career games, isn't good at faceoffs, led the Sabres in fights/season once (2), was 4th among forwards in hits, is a 3rd PK and 3rd PP mop-up time guy. He's Tyson Jost 2.0, who was traded once, then claimed off waivers by a rebuilding team with a ton of cap space. Note: Jost signed with Colorado for 2x$2M before his trade to and subsequent waiver from Minnesota.

On 9/8/2024 at 1:15 AM, dudacek said:

Maybe this isn’t that unusual.

Coming off his ELC and a ***** 9-point NHL season, Casey Mittelstadt signed a $875K 1-year deal one week before the start of training camp.

Meanwhile, 2 months earlier, coming off his ELC and a ***** 1-game NHL season, Tage Thompson signed a 3-year deal with a $1.4 AAV.

And a year later, coming off 11 points in 28 COVID season games, Rasmus Asplund signed a 2-year deal for $865K AAV 6 weeks before training camp.

Those are the only 3 comparables of Adams’ career.

The track record shows the holdup here may actually be Adams standing firm on the QA for one-year deal, but dangling more for term. 

Maybe the new Dad who once said he wants to raise a family in Buffalo is looking for security and the GM actually does believe in Krebs and is hoping for another Tage-type win, meaning this is a trickier negotiation than it appears.

On 9/8/2024 at 1:22 AM, dudacek said:

On 9/8/2024 at 11:32 AM, Archie Lee said:

Literally no one is carrying water for Krebs. Some are just saying it isn’t quite time to toss him to the curb. If you disagree and think it is time to move on, that’s fine and fair. No need to paint a fake narrative or argument. 

@Archie Lee see above for the "fake argument" that I am supposedly painting. 

And for the record, I am not saying Dudecek believes that will be the argument but did at least argue in part that it is possible so.. again, I am not painting a fake argument. I was responding to a real one. 

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Maybe he earns a 3rd line gig and pushed Greenway to the 4th line.  He has good defensive metrics, maybe he pushes Aube-Kubel to the bench.  Kubel has never played a full NHL season.  

Which means Krebs most likely path to the lineup is through injury. I think the 4th line is intended to be Malestyn, Lafferty, Kubel due to their speed and ability to run stuff over. Krebs doesn't fit that mold but would be useful as another forward in the bottom 6 for the eventual injuries that will come. 

5 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I am sure Lindy has a soft spot for an Alberta boy. Might treat him like a special project to get Krebs to be an everyday player.

17 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I am sure Lindy has a soft spot for an Alberta boy. Might treat him like a special project to get Krebs to be an everyday player.

Not disagreeing with your point, but was Krebs ever a healthy scratch last year? 

He was 3rd in games played with 80 and I don’t remember him sitting out, really since the first half of the previous year, when Donnie was rotating him with Peterka and Quinn initially and then they added Jost.

But since he kinda found a slot between KO and Girgs, it feels like he’s been a regular.

15 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I suppose anything's possible but it seems unlikely. I will be really surprised if the 4th line isn't the 3 new guys.

10 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

So none of the prospects are ready?

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I suppose anything's possible but it seems unlikely. I will be really surprised if the 4th line isn't the 3 new guys.

So none of the prospects are ready?

I don’t expect any of them to be better than Krebs in a bottom 6 role.

It’s possible Rosen or Kulich might be better in an offensive role, but I’d be surprised if either beat out Krebs for a roster spot.

I have the new guys ahead of Krebs in the pecking order because of attributes, but I don’t know that they are clearly better players than Krebs is.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t expect any of them to be better than Krebs in a bottom 6 role.

It’s possible Rosen or Kulich might be better in an offensive role, but I’d be surprised if either beat out Krebs for a roster spot.

I have the new guys ahead of Krebs in the pecking order because of attributes, but I don’t know that they are clearly better players than Krebs is.

The thing is you have to define "better". Much like Lazar, Krebs can be an adequate bottom end player who does just about everything okay but doesn't do anything particularly well. So if you want that, he's your guy. But if you want a role player who maybe doesn't do everything as well but does one or two things better then he has no place. 

Ultimately we have to wait to see what Ruff will do with the line up. Who plays with who might be a surprise still. 

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not disagreeing with your point, but was Krebs ever a healthy scratch last year? 

He was 3rd in games played with 80 and I don’t remember him sitting out, really since the first half of the previous year, when Donnie was rotating him with Peterka and Quinn initially and then they added Jost.

But since he kinda found a slot between KO and Girgs, it feels like he’s been a regular.

Yes he’s been the 4C for about 2 seasons. McLeod should be the 3C so Krebs will be battling Lafferty, Malenstyn and Aube-Kubel for 4th line ice time. I believe Lafferty is the only one who can play C so it will be up to Lindy to configure this line.

Krebs could shift to wing in order to potentially move up the lines.

17 hours ago, French Collection said:

I get the opposite vibe.  I think the bottom six players that were brought in were at Lindy's request and if anything Krebs will be just another bottom sixer fighting for a spot.  If they thought he was good enough, they would not have brought in as many bodies as they did.