What's deal with Peyton Krebs?

dudacek

Peyton Krebs  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best fits your perception of Peyton Krebs?

• I think his offence can take a leap and he'll be a good complementary middle-six piece
    • He will have a solid career as a Dixon Ward-level 2-way NHL 3rd-liner
    • His future is as a 4th line role player, like a Curtis Lazar
    • He'll get another couple sniffs because of his draft pedigree, but is basically on his way out of the NHL
  2. 2. Do you think Peyton Krebs will still be a Buffalo Sabre on Oct. 1, 2025?

It's not particularly unusual for a player coming off his ELC to still be unsigned this late in the summer, Puckpedia currently lists 15 of them.

But I'm really curious how (if?) Krebs fits into Kevyn Adams plans and what the respective positions are in contract talks.

I think most of us have Krebs pencilled in as the team's 13th forward.

Does he have a path to becoming a roster regular?

Does he have a level beyond what we've seen in his 202 NHL games in Buffalo?

Does he have a future in Buffalo?

Edited by dudacek

I voted Dixon Ward, although I think Ward’s contemporary, Curtis Brown, who was a bit better than Ward, and was also a center, is within reach as well.

I think Krebsie has good hockey IQ, good feet, good passion for the game and, unfortunately, lousy hands.  I don’t think he’ll ever be productive enough to be a top-sixer.  There also is a real possibility that he never sees a 35-pt season.  But next season is only his 3rd full NHL season and I can see Lindy getting the best out of him.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Some guys have it. Some guys don't. 

Krebs turns 24 in January and doesn't have elite size or a crazy shot to fall back on like Tage.

If he had it, we'd already know.

Probably, but not 100%.

There are first and early 2nd rounders that looked liked busts until they got to 24 or later...

-Lawson Crouse averaged under 10 goals per season, he only hit 20+ after he turned 24.

-Joel Erikson Ek played 4 seasons without hitting 10 goals, after his 24 year old season, he has scored 20-30 every year since

-Sam Bennet was widely considered a bust, averaging just over 10 goals a season until he was 25. At 25, he scored 28.

-Jared McCann never got out of the teens in goals through 24 years of age. Since he turned 25, he has scored 27, 40, and 29.

-Elias Lindholm only reached the teens in goals until he was 24, at 25 he put up 29 goals, and at 27 hit 40.

-Valeri Nikushkin put up 46 total goals over 6 seasons (including a season he played 59 games with ZERO goals) through 25 years old.  In the 3 years since he turned 26 he has 70 goals in 169 games (34 goal per 82 pace)

-Ryan Hartman was another first round pick.  He played in the NHL from age 20-26, never breaking the teens, and most of the time in single digits for goals.  At age 27 he scored 34.

There are other examples.  Now, with all that said, I personally don't think Krebs has 'it'.  He supposedly has great vision/passing, but I remember ONE time all last season he seemed to see the ice well and made a good pass. If they cut him or traded him for a mid round pick now, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  Its just that...every once in a while, you have guys that look like totals busts and end up 'getting it' past age 24.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

There are other examples.  Now, with all that said, I personally don't think Krebs has 'it'.  He supposedly has great vision/passing, but I remember ONE time all last season he seemed to see the ice well and made a good pass. If they cut him or traded him for a mid round pick now, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.  Its just that...every once in a while, you have guys that look like totals busts and end up 'getting it' past age 24.

I think if he had any kind of underlying skill, I'd be more apt to want to believe in him. But the only positive I've really seen out of him is a bit of grit. Too bad he doesn't have the size to back it up.

Posted (edited)

I always wondered a bit about how the Sabres developed Krebs.

He never seemed to get the opportunities or the leash his peers got. 

Kid’s numbers in his 48-game rookie season compared favourably to the mid-30s totals Quinn and Peterka put up a year later, and he was about a point-per game as an Amerk prior to his call-up and in the playoffs. His production was tracking well.

But the following season he got the more conventional rookie treatment: limited ice time in a bottom-six role, grinders for linemates and a spot on the bench when he screwed up.

It seemed to me the organization made a decision that he was going to be the 3C behind Tage and Cozens and they were going to force-feed him lessons on defence to prepare him for that job.

It kinda worked. 26 points is a respectable total for a 22-year-old 4C - pretty similar to what Ryan McLeod put up as a 24-year-old 3C - and he went from being a rookie turnover machine to a respectable checker.

A year ago, I was still pretty high on him becoming a good 3C.

But like so many of his peers, his game stalled last year. It’s like in the bid to make him more reliable, they stripped away the creative part of his game.

Last year he was pretty much the definition of a JAG.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

Who is Krebs going to beat out for a starting job?  

At center he isn’t beating out McLeod or Lafferty who were two of KA’s key acquisitions this summer.  

At wing he isn’t beating Greenway and Zucker on the 3rd line two other big key KA acquisition.  That leaves Krebs to battle it out with two other new acquisitions in Malenstyn and Aube-Kubel.   Krebs is solid defensively, but was one of worst offensive forwards in the NHL last season.  He also isn’t as fast or physical as Aube-Kubel or Malenstyn.   I give his chances of beating either of them out in camp at about zero!  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Probably, but not 100%.

There are first and early 2nd rounders that looked liked busts until they got to 24 or later...

-Lawson Crouse averaged under 10 goals per season, he only hit 20+ after he turned 24.

-Joel Erikson Ek played 4 seasons without hitting 10 goals, after his 24 year old season, he has scored 20-30 every year since

-Sam Bennet was widely considered a bust, averaging just over 10 goals a season until he was 25. At 25, he scored 28.

-Jared McCann never got out of the teens in goals through 24 years of age. Since he turned 25, he has scored 27, 40, and 29.

-Elias Lindholm only reached the teens in goals until he was 24, at 25 he put up 29 goals, and at 27 hit 40.

-Valeri Nikushkin put up 46 total goals over 6 seasons (including a season he played 59 games with ZERO goals) through 25 years old.  In the 3 years since he turned 26 he has 70 goals in 169 games (34 goal per 82 pace)

-Ryan Hartman was another first round pick.  He played in the NHL from age 20-26, never breaking the teens, and most of the time in single digits for goals.  At age 27 he scored 34.

and then there is 

Curtis Lazar.  Drafted 17th overall in 2013 by Ott after a stellar WHL career (sound familiar).  Had 20 pts at 19 in the NHL and then worked his way to the minors and has been bouncing around the NHL ever since with stops Calg, Buffalo, Boston, Van and NJ.  

Tyson Jost.  Drafted 10th overall by Colorado in 2016.  He peaked with 26 pts at 20 with the Avs and since then has worked his way to 13th work for Minn, Buffalo and now with the Canes.

Lias Andersson.  Drafted 7th by the Rags in 2017.  He has never been able to keep an NHL job and spent the last two years in the AHL.   

Krebs is very close to turning into Lazar or Jost.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

and then there is 

Curtis Lazar.  Drafted 17th overall in 2013 by Ott after a stellar WHL career (sound familiar).  Had 20 pts at 19 in the NHL and then worked his way to the minors and has been bouncing around the NHL ever since with stops Calg, Buffalo, Boston, Van and NJ.  

Tyson Jost.  Drafted 10th overall by Colorado in 2016.  He peaked with 26 pts at 20 with the Avs and since then has worked his way to 13th work for Minn, Buffalo and now with the Canes.

Lias Andersson.  Drafted 7th by the Rags in 2017.  He has never been able to keep an NHL job and spent the last two years in the AHL.   

If he doesn't come on strong this season could see him very easily turning into Danny Paille.

Hope he ends up more than that, but not real hopeful.

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who is Krebs going to beat out for a starting job?  

At center he isn’t beating out McLeod or Lafferty who were two of KA’s key acquisitions this summer.  

At wing he isn’t beating Greenway and Zucker on the 3rd line two other big key KA acquisition.  That leaves Krebs to battle it out with two other new acquisitions in Malenstyn and Aube-Kubel.   Krebs is solid defensively, but was one of worst offensive forwards in the NHL last season.  He also isn’t as fast or physical as Aube-Kubel or Malenstyn.   I give his chances of beating either of them out in camp at about zero!  

He's going to play because people get hurt and Lindy won't hesitate to juggle his lineup.

But as far as being a guy who stays in the lineup, I see 3 paths:

1) Beat McLeod out for the 3C job. This is the least likely path, given what the Sabres just gave up to bring McLeod in, but it's not impossible. Sabres fans have convinced themselves McLeod is going to be a great 3C, but the Oilers saw fit to upgrade him when they traded for Henrique and he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs. Krebs has more edge to his game; if he rediscovers his offence he could conceivably earn the job nobody wanted to see handed to him and push McLeod down a line, or over to the wing.

2) Hold on to the 4C centre spot. People haven't really talked about him in this role, but It's been his job the past 2 years and he hasn't been bad at it. His defensive numbers are solid, and he likes to mix it up. Lafferty can and frequently has played on the wing, so it's not necessarily an either-or situation. Basically, he just has to outplay one of Malenstyn, Aube-Kubel, Lafferty or Greenway. Krebs can also slide in on the wing ahead of one of those guys as well.

3) Grab a middle six wing spot. I'm leaning hard into what Adams said at the end on the year about playing him on the wing, but I'm wondering if he gets a look at the potentially open spot at left wing beside Cozens and Quinn. He and Cozens had excellent chemistry together as juniors and there's a school of thought that says maybe he can reignite that, after the combo has basically been ignored since Krebs' rookie season. Last year's Krebs of the meagre offence won't cut it, but the concept of Krebs can and maybe adds some defence, playmaking and instigating in the process. Nothing wrong keeping Zucker and Greenway honest.

I agree with you entirely that he starts — and should start — at the 13th forward, but I also agree with @Cascade Youth that he just might be a Lindy kind of guy and I do think he will be highly motivated. It's a make or break season for him as a Sabre, and maybe as an NHLer.

It's going to be up to him to earn his spot and in the process make the guys in front of them earn theirs.

That's the way it should be.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

and then there is 

Oh.... I've never denied, beyond the ones you mentioned, there are many, many more drafted in the middle too late first round that do turn into busts. The odds are definitely against him at this point.

I'm just saying if  management thinks there is even a chance that he could grow into more than he is now, it wouldn't be unprecedented. There are those who didn't turn into legit NHL players until their mid-twenties.

I never really liked his game, even when he first put on the uniform. I thought... He's probably not going to be good right now, but let's see a flash of something... I never saw that flash. I think he may not even be a good third or fourth liner, he may be a journeyman, that AAA type guy. 

I'm just willing to have him hang around another year... Provided he doesn't take too much ice time away from a player who's clearly better

Edited by mjd1001
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think he is certainly in the Sabres’s plans. I think he is perfectly suited to start the year as the 13th forward. If he stays healthy, recognizing that there will be injuries somewhere in the forward group, he will have a chance to cement himself as a valuable regular in a middle-six role. I don’t see why he can’t be at least a Curtis Brown level player with a bit of a higher ceiling. I think the issue in the moment is just him accepting that for now he is the 13th forward and the Sabres want to pay him accordingly, this year. 

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Could be a late bloomer if he reacts positively to Ruff. 

There are lots of prospects in the organization, he could be packaged in a trade and bloom somewhere else.  

I'm going with he gets bumped down to the AHL and becomes an AHL regular, with occasional callups to account for injuries.  He's the Matt Ellis of this roster.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Where's SDS?

There's no there there and even Peyton knows it. He's tried to hang on by marketing himself as a pest, a poor man's Barnaby.

Are you not entertained?

No.

• Agree 1