Prediction Time: Other than Levi and Benson, which Sabres' Prospect will have the Biggest Impact this Season?

nfreeman

Which Amerk is going to do the most in Buffalo this year?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Which Amerk is going to do the most in Buffalo this year?

• Jiri Kulich
    • Isak Rosen
    • Konsta Helenius
    • Noah Östlund
    • Anton Wahlberg
    • Ryan Johnson
    • Nikita Novikov
    • None of them will have more than a cup of coffee

I'm excluding Levi because he is pretty likely to play 25-30 games in the NHL, and Benson because he's pretty much graduated from "prospect" status.

Unlike years past, it doesn't seem like the Sabres have any of the prospects penciled into the NHL lineup for this coming season.  So in order to have an impact at the NHL level, someone is going to need to have a huge camp or, more likely, make the most of an injury-created opportunity when it arises.

Check out this thread for some excellent SabreSpace breakdowns of the current prospect pool:  prospect threadski

I went with Ryan Johnson, on the theory that he's more likely to get an injury-related opportunity than any of the forwards, plus he has a decent amount of NHL experience and I liked what I saw from him last year.

If it's a forward, I'll go with Whole Lotta Rosen, who tied for first in scoring on the Amerks and has played there for 2 full seasons now, so he knows their system well and they know him well.  I also get the impression that while Kulich is physically stronger, Rosen has more overall game.

Barring serious injury, no Sabre prospect will get more than a cup of coffee.

Kulich would be my pick if an injury to an offensive forward opens a hole.

He’s a 3rd year pro who Prospal publicly challenged to rip up the AHL this year to earn his chance.

Im glad the Sabres are at a point now where they can say that to their top prospects.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Barring serious injury, no Sabre prospect will get more than a cup of coffee.

Kulich would be my pick if an injury to an offensive forward opens a hole.

He’s a 3rd year pro who Prospal publicly challenged to rip up the AHL this year to earn his chance.

Im glad the Sabres are at a point now where they can say that to their top prospects.

This.

But, realistically, somebody will miss significant time due to injury and Kulich (especially without another top 6F being brought in before the season starts) is the most likely recipient of the newly opened ice time.

Would have Johnson next up on the list, but expect the real big guy they brought in will likely slide in as the 6 (if he isn't already rotating into there depending upon opponent) should 1 D-man go down.

I like Johnson, but I see him with Clague on the 5th pairing right now.

I thought he was behind Bryson last year and Bryson was brought back to give Johnson room to develop in the minors.

Meanwhile, Gilbert brings a more needed skillset and to my mind he’s ahead of both of them.

I hope Johnson’s given the Prospal order: rip up the AHL and force us to give you a slot

Johnson will push Bryson and Gilbert for 7/8 on the depth chart, and will likely become a better player than than both of them, but Johnson should play every day in Rochester and he can be called up without having to clear waivers.  

Forwards that we could see in Buffalo are Kulich and Rosen.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3

I see RyJo having an impact as a call up. He has the maturity and experience to step into any role. I see a possibility of a Dman traded out if he has a really good camp and forces his way into the lineup.

Kulich would be my forward choice who could carve out a niche on PP2 in a call up and pot a few goals.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I like Johnson, but I see him with Clague on the 5th pairing right now.

I thought he was behind Bryson last year and Bryson was brought back to give Johnson room to develop in the minors.

Meanwhile, Gilbert brings a more needed skillset and to my mind he’s ahead of both of them.

I hope Johnson’s given the Prospal order: rip up the AHL and force us to give you a slot

I generally agree with this, but the following scenario is pretty plausible IMHO:

- Mule or other starting D suffers a 2-month injury

- Bryson backslides to his 2022-23 form, which was largely not NHL-caliber

- Gilbert is game, and well-liked by his teammates and the fan base, but not good enough to play every night

If something like that happens, the door is open for Ryan J, and I think he's good enough to grab the opportunity.

• Like (+1) 3

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I'm excluding Levi because he is pretty likely to play 25-30 games in the NHL, and Benson because he's pretty much graduated from "prospect" status.

Unlike years past, it doesn't seem like the Sabres have any of the prospects penciled into the NHL lineup for this coming season.  So in order to have an impact at the NHL level, someone is going to need to have a huge camp or, more likely, make the most of an injury-created opportunity when it arises.

Check out this thread for some excellent SabreSpace breakdowns of the current prospect pool:  prospect threadski

I went with Ryan Johnson, on the theory that he's more likely to get an injury-related opportunity than any of the forwards, plus he has a decent amount of NHL experience and I liked what I saw from him last year.

If it's a forward, I'll go with Whole Lotta Rosen, who tied for first in scoring on the Amerks and has played there for 2 full seasons now, so he knows their system well and they know him well.  I also get the impression that while Kulich is physically stronger, Rosen has more overall game.

Yeah, I think RYJO probably has the highest probability of playing but I voted Rosen for two reasons. I think fans underestimate his game and I like the underdogs….and two, If he is real hot why wouldn’t we turn to Rosen (or Kulich) who project to the top six if they look like they could do it?

PS - I’m hoping we see Gilbert some and that he brings some serious attitude with him…

I voted for Kulich assuming a forward injury creates space for his next NHL stint. Johnson is my second choice based on our defense's consistent injury pattern over the last 3 -4 years. This of course is based on my limited knowledge and attention to all these prospects skills and motivation. 

I will be paying attention early and often this season to see if this team is going to be able to break the playoff curse. Health and who else steps up beyond modest expectations will play a big part in that including the right injury call ups.

Just a couple of weeks away from training camp and the fun begins...

Oh and a shout out to nfreeman on a wonderful job on the prospect summaries, potentials, and a thread to discuss.

Edited by R_Dudley
  • Like (+1) 2

I said Kulich, I just didn’t see anything from Rosen that looked like he belonged up here granted it was only a short stint but I wasn’t impressed. Kulich to me is going to be the player the Sabres count on when an injury arises and you know it’s going to happen. 

23 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

25-30 games for Levi? At least you didn't bury the lead (for the late, great Eleven: lede).

So we're missing the playoffs again?

We have a good shot to make the playoffs.   To early to tell if they did enough since so much depends on "The Core" and on UPL.  

On 8/23/2024 at 5:04 PM, PASabreFan said:

25-30 games for Levi? At least you didn't bury the lead (for the late, great Eleven: lede).

So we're missing the playoffs again?

Not sure if your point is that if Levi plays 25-30 games, the Sabres are hosed -- if that was your point, I don't agree.

I think Levi and UPL are both going to be very good this year, and goaltending will at last be a pillar for the Sabres.

Get ready to be happy, crabby old man.

I looked back into the mists of time to when the Sabres were a team that didn't need to push their prospects into the NHL early.

These were the approximate ages when these guys graduated to full-time NHL action

• Myers 19 years, 8 months
  • Ennis 20 years, 6 months
  • Foligno 20 years, 7 months
  • Stafford 21 years, 4 months
  • Sekera 21 years, 6 months
  • Kassian 21 years, 10 months
  • Armia 22 years, 7 months
  • Paille 22 years, 10 months
  • Pominville 23 years
  • McNabb 23 years, 8 months
  • Pysyk 23 years, 9 months
  • Miller 25 years, 3 months

These are the ages of these guys right now:

• Helenius 18 years, 3 months
  • Wahlberg 19 years, 1 month
  • Kulich 20 years, 4 months
  • Östlund 20 years, 5 months
  • Komarov 20 years, 7 months
  • Novikov 21 years, 1 month
  • Rosen 21 years, 5 months
  • Poltapov 21 years, 6 months
  • Levi 22 years, 8 months
  • Johnson 23 years, 1 month

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 8/27/2024 at 9:14 AM, dudacek said:

I looked back into the mists of time to when the Sabres were a team that didn't need to push their prospects into the NHL early.

These were the approximate ages when these guys graduated to full-time NHL action

• Myers 19 years, 8 months
  • Ennis 20 years, 6 months
  • Foligno 20 years, 7 months
  • Stafford 21 years, 4 months
  • Sekera 21 years, 6 months
  • Kassian 21 years, 10 months
  • Armia 22 years, 7 months
  • Paille 22 years, 10 months
  • Pominville 23 years
  • McNabb 23 years, 8 months
  • Pysyk 23 years, 9 months
  • Miller 25 years, 3 months

These are the ages of these guys right now:

• Helenius 18 years, 3 months
  • Wahlberg 19 years, 1 month
  • Kulich 20 years, 4 months
  • Östlund 20 years, 5 months
  • Komarov 20 years, 7 months
  • Novikov 21 years, 1 month
  • Rosen 21 years, 5 months
  • Poltapov 21 years, 6 months
  • Levi 22 years, 8 months
  • Johnson 23 years, 1 month

It is going to be a ton of fun starting this year…. You could add: Power, Byram, Benny, Quinn, Peterka and maybe even Cozens….

Lord knows we are young and we are on the rise!

Go Sabres!

I suspect Levi will be spending most of this season with the Amerks playing 45 games, give or take, so he won’t have an impact on the Sabres one way or the other. And given the additions to the roster this offseason, I doubt any prospect will have an impact this season. Barring injury of course.