Goal Scoring and the Sabres Current Forwards

LGR4GM

To be a top 10 team in the league (basically a team with a realistic chance of moving forward in the playoffs), you need to be about a +40 on the goals by the end of the season.  Now I'm sure the Sabres want to be as good as they can be, but maybe they are going to 'sacrifice' getting to 270, or 290+, and accept a bit less if they can get/keep the goals down.  Yeah, those 3rd and 4th lines don't look to be scoring much, but what it they are a SIGNIFICANT improvement over what was here last year?

Last year the Sabres allowed about 2.5 goals per game for MORE than the 2nd half of the season (Since January 1).  So it wasn't a short stretch, for a 'majority' of the season they allowed right around that 2.5 goal average.  What if they get better defensive zone play from the forwards AND the young D-men play a bit better now that they are one year older.  2.5 goals per game shouldn't be out of reach if you get those (even slight) improvements allowing for UPL to have a (slight) regression.

2.5 goals per game, IF it is possible, would mean they only need to score about 250 on the season to be closer to that +40 overall number.

So, its great to want to get more goals and figure out where they are coming from. But if the changes you made keep your goals allowed near (or likely just above) that 200 mark for the season, you only 'need' to score in the mid 240-250 range to be a very good team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I agree that they need more movement  and that all of the shots shouldn't come from the same general area, but still.  I think Dahlin can and does roam and shoot from the entire blue line, not just the left side, and that the Sabres, like most teams, only have one "point" guy on the PP, with the other 4 closer in (right and left half-walls, slot and behind the net).

I think they need a better plan, with more motion, and better playmaking from at least 2 of the right half-wall, slot and behind-net guys.  (I think TT and Dahlin both excel at playmaking, but VO and Skinner were both lousy at it.) 

My first choice at this point would be Quinn at the right half-wall, Tuch in the slot and Benson or Cozens behind the net.  That lineup, with good coaching, will be much better than last year's PP.

Have said this before, but personally would like to see them run:

Thompson - Quinn - Peterka w/ Tuch down low and Dahlin up top.  If that doesn't work, would try Cozens or Benson in the Quinn role and Zucker or Benson in the Tuch role.  (There's a few other permutations that could be tried, but surely some form of that will be effective.)

Would run a 2 D second unit with Power up top and Byram working towards the right side wall predominantly with Zucker Cozens and Benson getting 1st crack at being the F's on that unit.  And there's a few other guys that could get looks on that unit (primarily Kulich when he finally gets the call) depending upon circumstance.  And especially in the 2nd period, when the Sabres bench is close to the action would consider having McLeod take the draw and replace him as soon as convenient with the last F of the unit.  Getting the unit set up in zone should be a priority.  Not sure why it was an afterthought for the other guys.

And before Liger chimes in with "they need to be moving," well yes they do.  And these positions should not be viewed as being static.  There should be a LOT of movement on the PP, both puck and player.  And when there is a loose puck, they need to overwhelm the opposition and gain control of it.  Skinner was bad at regaining loose pucks.  So was Olofsson.  The guys slated for the top unit are all quite good in that role and the guys slated for the 2nd unit aren't exactly slouches themselves.

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

They really did not ever use Tage as a net front guy.   Granato never saw TNT as an Andreychuk type of player.   He had Benson in front of the net more than Thompson.  

Hoping Ruff can run more than one PP formation because Granato and his staff did the same thing for two years.  

Yes I know. What I'm saying is because of his size you could do that, but if you don't, I didn't like how they used him and I think that has to change. We were far too predictable and easy to defend with a left side bias. 

5 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I agree that they need more movement  and that all of the shots shouldn't come from the same general area, but still.  I think Dahlin can and does roam and shoot from the entire blue line, not just the left side, and that the Sabres, like most teams, only have one "point" guy on the PP, with the other 4 closer in (right and left half-walls, slot and behind the net).

I think they need a better plan, with more motion, and better playmaking from at least 2 of the right half-wall, slot and behind-net guys.  (I think TT and Dahlin both excel at playmaking, but VO and Skinner were both lousy at it.) 

My first choice at this point would be Quinn at the right half-wall, Tuch in the slot and Benson or Cozens behind the net.  That lineup, with good coaching, will be much better than last year's PP.

Yes, I agree, but Dahlin roaming over is part of why I'd try Thompson on that other point. He can drift in easier and have that shot option ready (or pass) but I also like him back there as better able to cover up for a missed pass or block that might trigger a short handed rush. His reach allows him better control or the ability to break that up before it starts. 

Anyway, his utilization has to be improved along with net front presence from whoever is that guy. Can't rely on Dahlin too much imo or else it's too easy to defend as teams will adapt to that.