Getting ready: are players in town working out yet?

dudacek

Just now, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

I don't know.  When the Sabres were known as the "the hardest working team in hockey" it wasn't a ruse, it was a culture created by the coach and FO. 

I think holding each other accountable for on-ice performance is also a culture.  It's definitely a characteristic that has been missing from this team for several years.

I think it was because we had the greatest goalie ever who bailed out so many mistakes merely being a very hard working team (all teams) was enough. We also had the player personnel who played that style: aka ability/talent 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think it was because we had the greatest goalie ever who bailed out so many mistakes merely being a very hard working team (all teams) was enough. We also had the player personnel who played that style: aka ability/talent 

Yeah, Ted Nolan and Muckler were completely disposable because of Dom AND were completely disposed of because of Dom. But let’s not talk about that, we might start questioning how much Ruff was responsible for a quarter of his wins. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Adams interview on WGR says the focus at training camp is getting the big club ready as soon as possible.

You will see the guys expected to be on the final roster together pretty much from the get-go, and way less mixing in of players further down the depth chart.

The first 2 exhibition games will see them icing a lot of roster regulars and the 27 players headed to Europe will be formalized shortly thereafter.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Adams interview on WGR says the focus at training camp is getting the big club ready as soon as possible.

You will see the guys expected to be on the final roster together pretty much from the get-go, and way less mixing in of players further down the depth chart.

The first 2 exhibition games will see them icing a lot of roster regulars and the 27 players headed to Europe will be formalized shortly thereafter.

prepare the banner 🙃

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Alright since people are (sort of) asking for some negativity how about this. 

This is a mistake because your camp should be competitive. You shouldn't feel you have a safe job and the kids should feel they have a legit chance to crack the line up. Nobody has to earn anything I guess. It's already predetermined. 

and stop smiling 🙂

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Excellent 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Alright since people are (sort of) asking for some negativity how about this. 

This is a mistake because your camp should be competitive. You shouldn't feel you have a safe job and the kids should feel they have a legit chance to crack the line up. Nobody has to earn anything I guess. It's already predetermined. 

and stop smiling 🙂

My gosh if we aren’t done with evaluation years at this point I need to evaluate my life choices 

the kids shouldn’t be under the impression spots are available. They should be under the impression a spot can be taken against the will of the incumbent

getting this team ready to go, game 1, is absolutely the priority. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

My gosh if we aren’t done with evaluation years at this point I need to evaluate my life choices 

the kids shouldn’t be under the impression spots are available. They should be under the impression a spot can be taken against the will of the incumbent

getting this team ready to go, game 1, is absolutely the priority. 

You should be able to do both things but yes, it's obviously already preset, which is probably why they have a Krebs issue. He doesn't want to be 13th man. 

1 hour ago, Eichless21 said:

When does training camp start? Thought we would be seeing some interviews and stuff today

Per a Sabres Mailbag article on their website, TC opens on the 18th.  No data if that's the day they report or the day they hit the ice.

19 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So you actually are serious? i thought you were having some fun playing the role.

The body of work generally outweighs — and should outweigh — what you do over the 3 weeks in camp.

There is no way Lukas Rousek is making the team over Jason Zucker unless Rousek scores 8 in the exhibition games and Zucker is caught pissing in Lindy's skate boot.

Camp competition is on margins and about roles. It's about forcing decisions where people are close: Benson and Zucker battling for a top six LW spot; Levi pushing UPL and Reimer pushing Levi; Clague and Johnson pushing Bryson and Gilbert pushing Clifton and Jokiharju; Byram pushing Power; Krebs pushing McLeod; Lafferty pushing Greenway; Rousek, Rosen and Kulich pushing for the last forward spot on the roster; the top 5-7 forwards battling for PP time; the bottom 5-7 forwards battling for the last spot on the opening night lineup.

Also, you've been big on Lindy taking a whole new approach with his lines, wouldn't you rather he spend the 2 weeks he has before Prague figuring out how his NHL combinations might work, than giving Östlund and Komarov a chance to skate a few practices with Tuch and Dahlin?

i mean you know who Lindy Ruff is. You can't actually think "safe" will be the theme of this camp?

Edited by dudacek

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

So you actually are serious? i thought you were having some fun playing the role.

The body of work generally outweighs — and should outweigh — what you do over the 3 weeks in camp.

There is no way Lukas Rousek is making the team over Jason Zucker unless Rousek scores 8 in the exhibition games and Zucker is caught pissing in Lindy's skate boot.

Camp competition is on margins and about roles. It's about forcing decisions where people are close: Benson and Zucker battling for a top six LW spot; Levi pushing UPL and Reimer pushing Levi; Clague and Johnson pushing Bryson and Gilbert pushing Clifton and Jokiharju; Byram pushing Power; Krebs pushing McLeod; Lafferty pushing Greenway; Rousek, Rosen and Kulich pushing for the last forward spot on the roster; the top 5-7 forwards battling for PP time; the bottom 5-7 forwards battling for the last spot on the opening night lineup.

Also, you've been big on Lindy taking a whole new approach with his lines, wouldn't you rather he spend the 2 weeks he has before Prague figuring out how his NHL combinations might work, than giving Östlund and Komarov a chance to skate a few practices with Tuch and Dahlin?

i mean you know who Lindy Ruff is. You can't actually think "safe" will be the theme of this camp?

semi-serious, not fully serious. 

I do think that camp should be competitive and the resounding words from the top should be "nobody will be handed anything", "you have to earn your spot", "it's an open competition" EVEN IF THIS ISN'T TRUE. I have a bit of an issue with Adams suggesting it's already decided. It's a bad idea when you are trying to build a new culture. It shifts things back to a "we are really talented, all we need is a better coach" rather than "we need a new attitude to go along with our talent". 

idk, season hasn't started yet and I'm just being skeptical. We shall see what Lindy actually does. I am waiting to see if he's still Lindy or if he's just an old burned out guy living off his past laurels who has lost his edge while he gained his arthritis. I'm hopeful, but I think it all hangs by a thread. 

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

semi-serious, not fully serious. 

I do think that camp should be competitive and the resounding words from the top should be "nobody will be handed anything", "you have to earn your spot", "it's an open competition" EVEN IF THIS ISN'T TRUE. I have a bit of an issue with Adams suggesting it's already decided. It's a bad idea when you are trying to build a new culture. It shifts things back to a "we are really talented, all we need is a better coach" rather than "we need a new attitude to go along with our talent". 

idk, season hasn't started yet and I'm just being skeptical. We shall see what Lindy actually does. I am waiting to see if he's still Lindy or if he's just an old burned out guy living off his past laurels who has lost his edge while he gained his arthritis. I'm hopeful, but I think it all hangs by a thread. 

Imo it’ll be more a commentary on the roster than Lindy’s abilities or lack there of. Lindy is capable enough if the roster is at least reasonable 

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Imo it’ll be more a commentary on the roster than Lindy’s abilities or lack there of. Lindy is capable enough if the roster is at least reasonable 

If Lindy can't bring something new and extra we are in trouble. Granato was a good hockey mind and arguably capable as well but they needed more. 

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

If Lindy can't bring something new and extra we are in trouble. Granato was a good hockey mind and arguably capable as well but they needed more. 

Granato may have been a net-negative. If we are relying on a coach to create some sort of alchemical process we’ve already failed. An average coach should be enough  

The coach should allow the roster to function to their inherent abilities, to me that’s the job, I don’t need one to create value where the roster doesn’t provide it  

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Granato may have been a net-negative. If we are relying on a coach to create some sort of alchemical process we’ve already failed. An average coach should be enough  

The coach should allow the roster to function to their inherent abilities, to me that’s the job, I don’t need one to create value where the roster doesn’t provide it  

We won in spite of Granato. He was never a good coach. If Lindy isn’t at least somewhat of an upgrade, we’re in big trouble. 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

We won in spite of Granato. He was never a good coach. If Lindy isn’t at least somewhat of an upgrade, we’re in big trouble. 

That’s sort of what I mean: just being average is imo a step up