Getting ready: are players in town working out yet?

dudacek

I'm sure it's cool to do a river cruise. I think my main issue is that you only have a limited amount of time at each place and that lends to not getting out of the "touristy areas" and exploring more of the local culture. 

On the other hand, you get all the food and drink on the boat, so much nicer than trudging through traffic. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Add Jack Quinn to the list

Not sure if I can remember this place as uniformly high on a young player breaking out as we seem to be on Quinn.

Havent really seen the fantasy predictions yet, but I’m kinda curious if the rest of the league has noticed. I certainly don’t hear his name much outside Buffalo fandom.

On 8/23/2024 at 9:37 PM, SwampD said:

I've been wanting to do one of those. That one in particular. How was that cruise? Was it worth it?

Still on it, 15 days from Prague to Amsterdam on the Danube and Rhine rivers. Great way to learn about sites going back up to 1000 years from local guides in each city. Food is great and all you can eat. Downside is you’re bound to get sick as colds get passed around on the ship. I’m on my second day of a sore throat.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

No names but Marty says he was down at the arena today and the place was packed with players getting ready - enough that 2 locker rooms were being used to accommodate them.

Great, I really need to be getting some more stories about guys getting ready, some action on the ice.

The Bills season opening is great and all, but over the past decade my love has shifted to hockey. I find it so much more fun to talk about and analyze the team building aspect of it, rather than 'non-stop' Bills coverage.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

No names but Marty says he was down at the arena today and the place was packed with players getting ready - enough that 2 locker rooms were being used to accommodate them.

That's good to hear. I was starting to wonder why I had all these stories about Bruins on the ice but nothing from the Sabres. I suppose then it just means they have more media coverage. 

Annual Bills game bond becoming a team tradition.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_qVh6mu5Zn/?igsh=cWd6ejV6Y3I0b2tx

Looks like about 20 of them made the outing.

The kid on the left end not looking nearly as scrawny as Corey Pronman told me he was.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nice for them to hang out and bond. It would be even nicer if they'd all come from the rink where they were skating and working out. 

They have been. 

I guess the Sabres Beat Reporters are just as burnt out covering the team as we are watching them and haven’t posted anything yet 

• Haha (+1) 1

From Mike Harrington’s interview with Alex Tuch:

Tuch and his teammates have ramped up preparation for the new hockey season under new head coach Lindy Ruff. Tuch said nearly two dozen Sabres have been skating at LECOM Harborcenter.

Thoughts on the Gaudreaus and routine “excited about Lindy and the element the new guys will bring” comments comprise most of the interview.

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

Annual Bills game bond becoming a team tradition.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C_qVh6mu5Zn/?igsh=cWd6ejV6Y3I0b2tx

Looks like about 20 of them made the outing.

The kid on the left end not looking nearly as scrawny as Corey Pronman told me he was.

My god, Zach Benson's legs look like trees and his knees just knobs halfway up. Kid may be short but he's built like a brick ***** house. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Nice for them to hang out and bond. It would be even nicer if they'd all come from the rink where they were skating and working out. 

Give it a rest. You think your precious Bruins sleep for 8 hours, go to the rink for 16 hours, then go back to sleep? The dumbest part of hockey internet these days is ppl getting mad at players for posting pictures outside of ripping slappers and bag skating. 

18 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From Mike Harrington’s interview with Alex Tuch:

Tuch and his teammates have ramped up preparation for the new hockey season under new head coach Lindy Ruff. Tuch said nearly two dozen Sabres have been skating at LECOM Harborcenter.

Thoughts on the Gaudreaus and routine “excited about Lindy and the element the new guys will bring” comments comprise most of the interview.

High Quality Im Shocked GIF

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Give it a rest. You think your precious Bruins sleep for 8 hours, go to the rink for 16 hours, then go back to sleep? The dumbest part of hockey internet these days is ppl getting mad at players for posting pictures outside of ripping slappers and bag skating. 

Why should I give it a rest? I want to see evidence of a cultural shift and so far there isn't any.

Will there be? maybe. I will credit it if and when it happens. and if it doesn't change I will continue to critique it as a problem, because it has been, for years. 

and I will continue to critique you and your numbers games too because after all these years, you still don't get it. 

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

My god, Zach Benson's legs look like trees and his knees just knobs halfway up. Kid may be short but he's built like a brick ***** house. 

This is what I was pointing out last year in prospect discussions. He has a very different build from most of the "small" guys we have drafted who are slight of frame like Östlund for example. 

13 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I want to see evidence of a cultural shift and so far there isn't any.. 

By this you mean wins, right? More specifically, enough wins to get them in the playoffs?

27 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why should I give it a rest? I want to see evidence of a cultural shift and so far there isn't any.

Will there be? maybe. I will credit it if and when it happens. and if it doesn't change I will continue to critique it as a problem, because it has been, for years. 

and I will continue to critique you and your numbers games too because after all these years, you still don't get it. 

I think comradery makes a team better and improves the chances of winning. Our perennial youngest team in the league just has never had the horses to win.

Unfortunately, barring a major upward trajectory compared to last year, we will have a hard time improving on our 23rd in the league GF... especially after losing two of our best guns.

Hopefully the Lindy factor is real and our fastest in the league 4th line can make up the difference (and more). I'm still doubtful.

That said, if we get another top 6, I'm officially on the going to the playoff bandwagon.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

This is what I was pointing out last year in prospect discussions. He has a very different build from most of the "small" guys we have drafted who are slight of frame like Östlund for 

Lolz

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

By this you mean wins, right? More specifically, enough wins to get them in the playoffs?

Pretty sure he wants to see them wear black jerseys with a big "B" on it... you know for Buffalo. 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

No. In simplest terms I mean no country club, no excuses, a higher standard and constant work ethic. A team that hates to lose more than wants to win. (everybody wants to win)

4 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I think comradery makes a team better and improves the chances of winning. Our perennial youngest team in the league just has never had the horses to win.

Unfortunately, barring a major upward trajectory compared to last year, we will have a hard time improving on our 23rd in the league GF... especially after losing two of our best guns.

Hopefully the Lindy factor is real and our fastest in the league 4th line can make up the difference (and more). I'm still doubtful.

That said, if we get another top 6, I'm officially on the going to the playoff bandwagon.

Comradery is fine, but what I want to see is a higher standard. 

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Lolz

Pretty sure he wants to see them wear black jerseys with a big "B" on it... you know for Buffalo. 

Goatheads actually. I've said that before. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No. In simplest terms I mean no country club, no excuses, a higher standard and constant work ethic. A team that hates to lose more than wants to win. (everybody wants to win)

How do you decide whether such things are there or not, if not by wins?

15 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s always been about this. The culture stuff was always a ruse. You might say “well it’s not a ruse it’s just only capably measured in wins” and that’s fine but I definitely don’t see it that way. Culture is just something we arbitrarily attribute to competently built teams. If we want to name a GM’s ability to configure this team in this way “culture”, that’s fine: but that’s not usually the general connotation. In truth the Sabres aren’t lacking “culture” in the way it’s almost always described, some sort of intangible ethic that makes the team work harder.

The Patriots have been bad without Tom Brady. Their grand “culture” was merely, it turns out, “winning”, because they had the greatest player the sport has seen. The greatest, most touted sports Culture know to man was nothing without the talent. Even with the greatest coach ever. That’s EARTH’S SIGNPOST sports culture, the “Patriot Way”

Don’t fall for it. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

How do you decide whether such things are there or not, if not by wins?

It's a cumulative thing. You see it over the year in attitude, comments, practices, changes in the next game, maybe even taking out their frustrations on an opponent. What the team does after a loss. There's a ton of things and you add them all up. If it changes I am pretty sure you will notice it easily. 

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

It’s always been about this. The culture stuff was always a ruse. You might say “well it’s not a ruse it’s just only capably measured in wins” and that’s fine but I definitely don’t see it that way. Culture is just something we arbitrarily attribute to competently built teams. If we want to name a GM’s ability to configure this team in this way “culture”, that’s fine: but that’s not usually the general connotation. In truth the Sabres aren’t lacking “culture” in the way it’s almost always described, some sort of intangible ethic that makes the team work harder.

The Patriots have been bad without Tom Brady. Their grand “culture” was merely, it turns out, “winning”, because they had the greatest player the sport has seen. The greatest, most touted sports Culture know to man was nothing without the talent. Even with the greatest coach ever. That’s EARTH’S SIGNPOST sports culture, the “Patriot Way”

Don’t fall for it. 

I don't know.  When the Sabres were known as the "the hardest working team in hockey" it wasn't a ruse, it was a culture created by the coach and FO. 

I think holding each other accountable for on-ice performance is also a part of culture.  It's definitely a characteristic that has been missing from this team for several years.

Edited by SHAAAUGHT!!!