Getting ready: are players in town working out yet?

dudacek

We’re about a month away from training camp, and if the past week is any indication, NHL GMs are back at work.

Im wondering if anyone has heard or seen any news about players getting back to town, or skating together yet?

Really curious about where their heads are as they approach the new season, after maybe being a little too full of themselves last year.

Posted (edited)

Aside from a few of the usual wedding/birth announcements, it’s been pretty quiet on the social media front.

The Swiss camp where Power and Mule joined the Euros seemed to be the only noteworthy thing: the team seemed to have kept a pretty low profile over the summer. Vacation photos were sparse. Public events seemed kept to minimum. The new guys only did their required team zoom calls and I can’t recall a single holdover player giving an interview anywhere. Not even a Risto-style workout video to be found.

I’d like that to mean they’ve been all business and focused on getting better. If that’s the case, leadership should be bringing the guys together relatively soon.

Edited by dudacek

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I saw Pominville catching an earful from his girlfriend while he stared ahead blankly and chowed down on some Salsaritas at the corner of Delaware and Chippewa.

….

Sorry. No.

That was August 2009.

Funny, it doesn't look like Jason....

image.png.19cb5bbc09397b27fb73900d4e5a7b71.png

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

Aside from a few of the usual wedding/birth announcements, it’s been pretty quiet on the social media front.

The Swiss camp where Power and Mule joined the Euros seemed to be the only noteworthy thing: the team seemed to have kept a pretty low profile over the summer. Vacation photos were sparse. Public events seemed kept to minimum. The new guys only did their required team zoom calls and I can’t recall a single holdover player giving an interview anywhere. Not even a Risto-style workout video to be found.

I’d like that to mean they’ve been all business and focused on getting better. If that’s the case, leadership should be bringing the guys together relatively soon.

They are all too afraid of getting heat from 'Spacers about how they chose to spend their CBA mandated free time ... wise move, this place is brutal to those who have fun 😜 

• Like (+1) 1

I sure hope Lindy puts together his starters relatively early in camp and focuses on getting them all on the same page together and with the system.

It's pretty clear Donnie's development blender last September was a mistake.

I can't recall a time when the roster was more set. They are basically deciding which two of Rousek, Gilbert, Bryson, Levi or Reimer goes down.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I sure hope Lindy puts together his starters relatively early in camp and focuses on getting them all on the same page together and with the system.

It's pretty clear Donnie's development blender last September was a mistake.

I can't recall a time when the roster was more set. They are basically deciding which two of Rousek, Gilbert, Bryson, Levi or Reimer goes down.

Haven't looked closely at the PS schedule, but somebody had pointed out that the Sabres play at least 1 preseaon game (maybe 2) after the squad will have played a PS game in Germany.  

That indicates that the team will have bifurcated into a Sabres plus a handful and Amerks by the midpoint of the preseason at the latest.  Which is a much better way of working things than still seeing if guys like Rousek or Kulich can be 1st liners in a pinch in the last tune up game.  Them not being desperate for their usual quick start to the season while their opponents didn't fully have their game legs and were overlooking the Sabres pretty well doomed the season.  They'll be desperate this year; but unfortunately their 1st 2 games are with another desperate team that will be trying to kick the snot out of their old head coach's new team.

Absolutely HATE that they're starting the year in Europe.  The disruption to the start of the season could seriously gum up the whole works.  Yeah, it could help them bond and have a solid October which starts the whole thing off on the right foot; but expect with the new coach and the renewed sense of desperation, they were going to get that with a normal start to the year.  More likely the disruption gets them off to a 1-4-1 start than the bonding gets them off to an 8-1-1 start.

• Agree 1

On 8/22/2024 at 2:18 PM, pastajoe said:

I was in that old Prague square 3 days ago. 😩 On a Viking river cruise. I have a picture but it’s too big to post.

I've been wanting to do one of those. That one in particular. How was that cruise? Was it worth it?