Judging the off-season: the big picture

dudacek

Overall  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes your feelings about Kevyn Adams’ off-season?

• Focused and well-executed; he saw what needed to be done and addressed it
    • Good, but incomplete; the team is better, but I’m not sure he did enough to get us in the playoffs
    • Not good enough; the moves were around the perimeter, a top 6 forward and better mix on the blueline is needed to be a playoff team
    • Are you kidding? He dumped Mitts and Skinner for nothing and added a few plugs, the team got worse

29 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

At this rate, I'm not all that worried about Byram's next (bridge) contract given his annual production (he's not yet broken 30 points). Bouchard and Dobson had both had much better seasons than Byram ever had before they signed their bridge contracts. They're at $3.9M/2 and $4M/3, respectively.

(He could have a breakout campaign this season, but probably only if he's on PP1 with Dahlin.)

Bouchard and Dobson are relevant comparables:

at 20

• Dobson 34 1/6/7
  • Bouchard AHL
  • Byram 30 5/12/17

at 21

• Dobson 46 3/11/14
  • Bouchard 14 2/3/5
  • Byram 42 10/14/24

at 22

• Dobson 80 13/38/51
  • Bouchard 81 12/31/43
  • Byram 73 11/18/29

Byram is already on his bridge contract. He signed it off a concussion-hampered season where he was pacing close to 20 goals and 50 points without significant power play time.

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 1

KA is a ***** genius.  He knows that the Sabres were not going to attract the players to get them in the playoffs this season and has accurately predicted that when this doesn’t happen Dahlin will lose his love of the game. Pegula will demand he is moved for a 3rd best prospect, a bum, and a quitter.  And KA will have already acquired Dahlin’s replacement.

Im telling you, ***** genius.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

They are relevant because we traded Mitts. 

It isn't about 3c it's about top 6 forwards 

A. I don't see how that tweet is meaningful.

B. The disconnect is what @Taro T already argued, which I agree with, that none of the three centers if you include Mitts have a legit 200' game. They don't. Mitts is a center. You're not going to put him on the wing. We have wingers that, ostensibly, can score at the same rate or better (yes, I know Mitts was the leading point guy when he was traded). Effectively one of Mitts or Cozens had to go.

I'm just waiting for Mitts to run his truck into a Snooze to complete the cycle.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I’ve said this before, but the trajectory of this team was defense-first when they were “cornered” into drafting D at #1 overall twice.  

It’s never happened before.  

So this team was going to be built differently than all others for that reason.  Blue line first. It is why I don’t mind the Byram trade. Handedness aside (which I personally feel is overrated), getting the best top four D is always how this team was going to be built. 

You need to put some of your regular conventions aside with roster building to get inline with the Sabres current roster construction.  This is Bryram dependent, but if KA is right and he is good (and if Power continues to progress)…the Sabres are going to be a menace to the nhl.  Disagree button all you want, but I’m here for it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

16 hours ago, ... said:

A. I don't see how that tweet is meaningful.

B. The disconnect is what @Taro T already argued, which I agree with, that none of the three centers if you include Mitts have a legit 200' game. They don't. Mitts is a center. You're not going to put him on the wing. We have wingers that, ostensibly, can score at the same rate or better (yes, I know Mitts was the leading point guy when he was traded). Effectively one of Mitts or Cozens had to go.

I'm just waiting for Mitts to run his truck into a Snooze to complete the cycle.

Mitts played wing multiple times in the 22 and 23 seasons. 

It's an utter lie or fallacy that 1 of Mitts or Cozens had to go. Especially when both can play wing and opposite wings. 

Edited by LGR4GM
Spelling
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I’ve said this before, but the trajectory of this team was defense-first when they were “cornered” into drafting D at #1 overall twice.  

So this team was going to be built differently than all others for that reason.  Blue line first. It is why I don’t mind the Byram trade. Handedness aside (which I personally feel is overrated), getting the best top four D is always how this team was going to be built. 

You need to put some of your regular conventions aside with roster building to get inline with the Sabres current roster construction.  This is Bryram dependent, but if KA is right and he is good (and if Power continues to progress)…the Sabres are going to be a menace to the nhl.  Disagree button all you want, but I’m here for it.

To the bold: I agree, I just haven't seen enough evidence of that to have faith in it. Considering the last 13 years, until they prove otherwise, I being critical and skeptical is warranted. 

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Really a very strange take ^. 

Dahlin and Power were not selected by the same GM and they were selected 3 years apart and that was purely fate, and not a plan.  

Regarding the selection of Power, Adams took what he considered to be the BPA   It’s that simple.  

The same GM that was allegedly building “defense first” failed to bring in reliable NHL goaltending and lost a lot of games with Tokarski, Dell, etc.  That same GM drafted 3 centers in the first round in the same draft.   That same GM hired a coaching staff that could not install a defensive system without ruining their offensive system. 

He also failed in getting Chyckrun and Pesce.  He traded for Byram simply because he was the best player he could get for Mitts.  There was no grand plan to any of it, he didn’t want to pay Mitts - and he never talked to them about it.  

Maybe Byram turns into a great player and maybe Power “continues to progress”,  but a good hockey team requires a talented and balanced roster and a capable HC.  

10 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I don't know if it will work, but I 100% agree with what you are saying as their goal and it MIGHT work.

Control the game from the D-zone out. I brought up in another post a few months ago, go back to the Canadian Olympic team 2 sets of games ago, with all their talent they didn't win by scoring, they won by smothering the opposition. The puck went into their zone and their D-men got to it first. Once they got to the puck they were talented enough to skate it out OR talented enough to make good first passes out. They didn't turn the puck over when pressured.  They had enough skill that the other teams forecheck was basically useless, they would pass the puck back and forth until the entry pass out opened up.  

Every team would LIKE to be able to do that, but you need guys back there who are very good skaters, and are very precise with their passing, AND are good puck handlers.  The Sabres have the POTENTIAL to have a top 4 that is the best in the league at that. They aren't there yet, their decision making can be brutal at times, but that should get better as they get older and more experienced.

There certainly is a case for this NOT working, and I can both see it working well, and I can also see it failing miserably. That is why we play the games?

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It's an utter lie or fallacy that 1 of Mitts or Cozens had to go. Especially when both can play wing and opposite wings. 

"Utter lie" is histrionic, but perhaps you're right. Since Mitts O'Rielly has almost zero grit there wasn't really a choice: he was the one who had to go.

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

The same GM that was allegedly building “defense first” failed to bring in reliable NHL goaltending and lost a lot of games with Tokarski, Dell, etc.  That same GM drafted 3 centers in the first round in the same draft.   That same GM hired a coaching staff that could not install a defensive system without ruining their offensive system. 

The selection of Power set the course and the timeline goes from there. Then the Dahlin extension. Then the acquisition of Byram. This is going to be the most expensive blue line in the league and I think that’s intentional.  

I’m not defending any of your GMKA critiques.  I’m just pointing out blue line first.  

Regarding the selection of Power, Adams took what he considered to be Maybe Byram turns into a great player and maybe Power “continues to progress”,  but a good hockey team requires a talented and balanced roster and a capable HC.  

Literally no one is disputing any of that.

Dahlin and Power were not selected by the same GM and they were selected 3 years apart and that was purely fate, and not a plan.  

This is exactly what I meant when I said they were “cornered.” You may have said it better as I was drinking tequila and listening to a podcast when I posted. 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Really a very strange take ^. 

Regarding the selection of Power, Adams took what he considered to be the BPA   It’s that simple.  

He also failed in getting Chyckrun and Pesce.  He traded for Byram simply because he was the best player he could get for Mitts.  There was no grand plan to any of it, he didn’t want to pay Mitts - and he never talked to them about it.  

Maybe Byram turns into a great player and maybe Power “continues to progress”,  but a good hockey team requires a talented and balanced roster and a capable HC.  

And if you’re curious which tequila, this is the best bottle I’ve found under $50 

Cheers

Salude

Prost

IMG_0214.jpeg

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ... said:

"Utter lie" is histrionic, but perhaps you're right. Since Mitts O'Rielly has almost zero grit there wasn't really a choice: he was the one who had to go.

The Sabres trading their best forward, a tradition unlike any other. 

ROR 

Eichel

Reinhart 

Mitts

... guess Tage Thompson should prepare to move honestly. Can't keep him with all those drafted centers. Where would they play, right? Can't keep Tage Thompson. 

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

A Cozens/Mitts/Quinn line would have been an interesting line. As would a Mitts/Cozens/Quinn line. Not to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres trading their best forward, a tradition unlike any other. 

ROR 

Eichel

Reinhart 

Mitts

... guess Tage Thompson should prepare to move honestly. Can't keep him with all those drafted centers. Where would they play, right? Can't keep Tage Thompson. 

Tide goes in, tide goes out. Can’t explain that. 

5 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

And if you’re curious which tequila, this is the best bottle I’ve found under $50 

Cheers

Salude

Prost

IMG_0214.jpeg

My Tequilla days ended way back in the fall of 1988. 

That is when I realized that every time I drink Tequilla someone wants to fight me.  

• Haha (+1) 2

My Tequilla days ended way back in the fall of 1988. 

That is when I realized that every time I drink Tequilla someone wants to fight me.  

Those bastards! Why can’t they just let you enjoy some tequila?! 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Biggest part of the big picture is Lindy Ruff. No question it was the move made this summer with the most optimism in tow.

Good article that can be read by all 

Good article.  Well worth a read.  Thanks.

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Good article.  Well worth a read.  Thanks.

It was. 

Of particular interest was Lindy’s success with puck-moving defencemen, arguably the strongest element of this team and one accompanied by a large degree of uncertainty.

I can add that I took a look at how Lindy used his defence 2 years ago when the Devils took their huge leap and discovered that his top 5 got within 2 minutes of each other and his #6 was used much more sparingly.

Last year was kinda similar, except injuries factored in, so it was more a 4/2 split when Hamilton was unavailable.

A lot of their drop last year can be traced back to losing their best guy for most of the year and replacing 2 of their top 5 with rookies, even though they were talented rookies.

Im curious how having a prime Dahlin - something I don’t believe Lindy has ever had - factors.