Judging the off-season: the coaching change

dudacek

Coaching change  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which best describes your feelings about the coaching change?

• Fantastic move; coaching was a major issue and Lindy fits what the doctor ordered
    • Change was needed and Lindy is an upgrade, but I would have preferred someone else
    • It was a hollow PR move, this team needs to stop recycling and bring in someone from outside who can change the mindset
    • Coaching wasn’t the real problem, Granato paid for Adams bad decisions

It seems like the heavy lifting of the summer is over and Adams has taken a number of steps to fix what was a very disappointing season.

Now that you’ve had some time for things to settle in, what do you think about the decision to fire Don Granato and bring in Lindy Ruff, and what kind of impact will it have on the coming season?

I'm fine with Lindy for the next 2 years (actually, may have been ok with 3-4 years of him)

In an ideal world, give me the best, up-and-coming coach who is 45 years old or younger. But I have no idea who that is, and would that person come here?

All of the other re-treads besides Lindy, I don't think they would be a lot better, so give me Lindy.  I never, ever wanted him fired back in the day to begin with.

I'm most interested in seeing how the defense, as a unit, plays under Lindy, and how Tage fits into and produces under Lindy. Those to me are the top 2 things that will determine the success of this coming season.

Edited by mjd1001

I voted "change was needed and Lindy is an upgrade, but I would have preferred someone else", I really wanted Craig Berube, I think he was the better fit imo. I think Ruff will be great for bringing fans into the building, everyone knows he will be on these players and doesn't want to let the fans down but what if he does? This could get real ugly for him. I really hope he can hold up that Stanley cup before he retires which is another reason I wasn't a fan of thw Ruff hire, he'll be retiring very shortly. 

Fun series of questions, well done to @dudacek, a true icon of not just sabrespace, but message boards, and really the art of typing on the internet in general 

- - - 

Im sort of between 1 and 2 on this, but voted 1 B/c some of my other answers have have had to be on the more negative side and a bit more balance is in order

I can’t say he’s a “fantastic” hire, but there isn’t someone i “wanted more”. I do know I really personally LIKE the hire so I’m comfortable going optimistic here and saying he’ll be a non-negligible addition to the improvement side of the ledger this offseason 

• Like (+1) 1

The concern going in with HCDG was there would be a time when the team needed to go experienced to take the next step. He got the forwards going; he was the anti-HCRK despite serving on his staff. Now, can Ruff be the playoff-experienced coach to take them to the next level? Yes, he should be.

In two more seasons, how high is the next level will be the question.

I’ve warmed to this one.

It’s was hard initially to get over the “really, we’re going to be that predictable?”

But I honestly can’t think of a better available match for this group of players at this time in their careers.

New Jersey proved Lindy can still coach; the fast, hard game he prefers fits this collection of players; and he seem to be the right personality for this core at this time.

Looking forward to seeing how the team responds, particularly Cozens, Krebs, Byram and Power.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Kristian said:

I like Lindy, but I fear his hiring was rushed.

Was it rushed, or should it have happened in season last season?

Might have a different look to the AC's and also maybe a player or 2 could've been on the block or already lined up with their ideal partner / linemates rather than figuring that out over the 1st month or so this year.

I will always like Lindy and he is an upgrade to DG.  

I did NOT like the “coaching search”.   Very amateurish overall.   This is a hire the guy you know to placate the masses, and then set up your AHL guy to take over.    This is as much about getting Appert ready.  Lindy didn’t bring in a staff.  

If Lindy still has it, it might work out.   These “return to the glory years” type of hires rarely do work out though.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I did NOT like the “coaching search”.   Very amateurish overall.   This is a hire the guy you know to placate the masses, and then set up your AHL guy to take over.    This is as much about getting Appert ready.  Lindy didn’t bring in a staff.  

If Lindy still has it, it might work out.   These “return to the glory years” type of hires rarely do work out though.  

Depends upon how "the hire working out" is defined to determine whether it's ultimately successful.

Personally don't believe Ruff was brought back to win a SC (not directly at least; as an advisor or PoHO, sure; but not as the head coach of THIS team as currently constructed and where they are in time).  So, if winning a SC is the determination of success, it will necessarily fail.

But, if "working out" is defined as establishing a structure within their own end, getting viewed as a club belonging in the NHL both to insiders and league observers, and making the playoffs; it legitimately could work out with only a couple of items necessarily breaking their way.

And if working out also necessarily includes the apparent transition to Appert behind the bench 2-3 years from now; then it may or may not work out.  Still not fully sold on Appert.

On 8/19/2024 at 8:23 AM, Taro T said:

Depends upon how "the hire working out" is defined to determine whether it's ultimately successful.

Personally don't believe Ruff was brought back to win a SC (not directly at least; as an advisor or PoHO, sure; but not as the head coach of THIS team as currently constructed and where they are in time).  So, if winning a SC is the determination of success, it will necessarily fail.

But, if "working out" is defined as establishing a structure within their own end, getting viewed as a club belonging in the NHL both to insiders and league observers, and making the playoffs; it legitimately could work out with only a couple of items necessarily breaking their way.

And if working out also necessarily includes the apparent transition to Appert behind the bench 2-3 years from now; then it may or may not work out.  Still not fully sold on Appert.

I feel that Lindy's role is to get us to the playoffs and bring back credibility. 

After that he turns it over to Appert.  Adams put Appert behind the bench, not Lindy.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I agree with you but after a list of inexperienced (in terms of NHL head coaching) failures a veteran coach seems like the right move. I just hope the respect and reverence Tuch holds for him filters through the whole team and the young guys don't just think "who is this old guy and why is he yelling at me?"

I picked #1.  

Initially it felt weird and desperate, aken to Levy as GM.  However, it started to make more sense to me.  

This team needed a pro voice in the room.  KA has no experience building a team and it showed.  Not that I don't think he has done some good things. 

Lindy, IMO, was the one guy on the list of available coaches KA would listen to with the least amount of time to get comfortable with.  

I have no idea how good we'll be but I believe these players acquired were targeted.  I personally feel better Lindy was a part of that process.

Edited by 7+6=13