Amerks 24/25 - Young Talented Roster

I’m guilty of underestimating the role Josh Dunne will play this year.

He’s a 25-year-old 6’4” 210 pound 2-way centre who hits and plays both special teams. Had a terrible regular season last year - looked like he was injured - but bounced back with an outstanding playoff (7 goals in 14 games) for Cleveland as they went to game 7 of the eastern finals. Had 20 AHL goals 2 years ago and a cup of coffee with Columbus.

He fits with the theme of the types of @PerreaultForever type players the Sabres targeted this summer and it wouldn’t be a shock to see him get NHL games this year as a 4th-line call-up.

He got the Rousek 2-year deal, where year 2 is a 1-way deal, and will make $450K in Rochester this year, so you know they plan to lean on him.

From his AHL bio:

PRO CAREER: Posted ten penalty minutes and -7 rating in 14 appearances for Columbus (NHL) spanning parts of two seasons from 2020-21 and 2022-23…Tallied 34-24-58 with 124 penalty minutes and -15 rating in 109 appearances for Cleveland (AHL) spanning three seasons from 2020-23…AMATEUR CAREER: Registered 29-26-55 with 70 penalty minutes and +24 rating in 78 appearances for Clarkson (NCAA-ECAC) spanning three seasons from 2018-21…Wore captain’s “C” for Clarkson in 2020-21…Helped Clarkson claim 2018-19 ECAC Championship…Named ECAC’s best defensive forward and named to ECAC Third All-Star Team in 2019-10…Contributed 34-40-74 with 91 penalty minutes and +16 rating in 140 appearances for Green Bay (USHL) spanning parts of four seasons from 2014-18.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=178129

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

And speaking of Rousek, he’s the Sabres 14th forward at the moment and will have to clear waivers, but there’s a very good chance he will spend significant time with the Amerks this year.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I’m guilty of underestimating the role Josh Dunne will play this year.

He’s a 25-year-old 6’4” 210 pound 2-way centre who hits and plays both special teams. Had a terrible regular season last year - looked like he was injured - but bounced back with an outstanding playoff (7 goals in 14 games) for Cleveland as they went to game 7 of the eastern finals. Had 20 AHL goals 2 years ago and a cup of coffee with Columbus.

He fits with the theme of the types of @PerreaultForever type players the Sabres targeted this summer and it wouldn’t be a shock to see him get NHL games this year as a 4th-line call-up.

It would be good if we had a well structured roster with defined roles (which appears to be the plan and direction now) and then along with that a mirrored Rochester roster so that you have the same type of player to slot into an injury spot and not alter your structure. So the guy you call up might not be the "best" guy or the most "talented" guy, but he'd be a guy who could do the exact same job as the injured player. 

So in other words, I could see what you are saying happen for him. Or at least he'd get a shot at it. 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

And speaking of Rousek, he’s the Sabres 14th forward at the moment and will have to clear waivers, but there’s a very good chance he will spend significant time with the Amerks this year.

I forgot about Rousek in my original post.  I’ve amended it to add him in.

FYI:

Prow is the only "veteran" (aka over 320 pro games) on the Amerks roster

Clague (279 games) and Murray (283 games) qualify for the 260 to 320 exception, although if both play, one would be classified as a "veteran"

All the other skaters should be classified as developmental players according to AHL rules.  

After looking at everyone's back ground, I think Laaouan, Cheveldayoff, Nadeau, Tischke and maybe Kozak, will start the year in the ECHL.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

That young man has to be working REALLY hard to gain that much weight during the season.

Sure, and also working working on his diet to feed that kind of muscle gain. 

Just look at him now and compare to his draft day interview.  He really is growing fast.   

They said he speaks 5 languages too.   Hopefully the college environment keeps him focused.  

Edited by Pimlach

• 2 weeks later...

Kulich Helenius Murray

Rosen Östlund Wahlberg

Tullio Dunne Jobst

...would be a very watchable top 9. I think Kulich's path is on the wing, hoping they make the move, which also benefits Östlund and Helenius

Novikov Johnson

...is a pair I'd like to see tested under hard shutdown minutes to prep them for their NHL futures.