Amerks 24/25 - Young Talented Roster

This look like a very young and talented forward group for the Amerks, coupled with 3 good D prospects and solid goaltending regardless of whether Reimer or Levi is the Sabres backup.

Forwards -

Draftees (10) - Helenius (14th overall 2024), Östlund (16th 2022), Kulich (28th 2022), Rosen (20th 2021), Wahlberg (39th 2023), Kisakov (53rd 2021), Neuchev (74th 2022), Tullio (126th Edm 2020), plus other draftees Nadeau and Kozak will be fighting for roster spots. 

Veterans (7) - Rousek, Murray, Jobst, Dunne, Cheveldayoff, Slaggert, Warren (last 3 on AHL deals)

Defense - 

Draftees (3) - Johnson (31st 2019), Komarov (134th 2022), Novikov (188th 2021)

Veterans (6) - Clague, Poolman, Rathbone, Tischke, Prow, Laaouan (last 3 on AHL deals)

Goalies - 

Levi/Reimer, Sandstrom, Houser (AHL deal) - Sabres camp will determine if Reimer or Levi is the starter in Rochester. I suspect Reimer loses that battle.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Even if Levi outplays Reimer, he might still get sent to Rochester.  Assuming UPL is the starter and primary goalie, the team may prefer to have Levi in Rochester playing games and gaining professional experience on a regular basis (and developing) versus sitting on the bench in Buffalo.  He may also yo-yo up and down - play games in Rochester, then get called up for a start, then go back to Rochester after the start.  I believe the team handled it a bit like this in the latter part of last season.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Whatever happened to Mersch? Did he sign on with anybody?

He went unsigned in free agency.  He will be 32 by opening night and his foot speed fell off a cliff last season.  He is/was a good guy and good leader, but it was probably time for the next phase of his life. He was a good captain for us and will be remembered fondly.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Hopefully all the Swedes and Fins get along with the Russians.

Whoops! How are you supposed to do that? I know you have to take each person personally but what if they agree with Putin?

What if they know what he is like and still like Putin? It’s very possible, isn’t  Ovechkin a known Putin supporter?

I think that’s true, is it?  As much as I think we can’t stereo type, and Perhaps Ovechkin is brainwashed, but how did his teammates get along with him in Washington of all places? I guess that was before the invasion but geez…. He has been evil for a very long time…Being a tyrant and all…. LOL, how are we going to do it? Those are two very talented D-men, imho…. But if they understand what Putin is and still support him in any way, I’d-be done with them… And yes, I do realize that the US is no sweetheart either… But Russia’s history of slaying and/or torturing their own people is a very long one…. And have they ever been a communist country?

I don’t think so, only oligarchies…..

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

There are a lot of young draftees for sure. 

Are the vets the kind that will help them  survive on the rugged AGL?  

It's not a good mix in my opinion. Too young and talented. I suppose it was inevitable with all our draft picks. Have to put them somewhere. 

27 minutes ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

Whoops! How are you supposed to do that? I know you have to take each person personally but what if they agree with Putin?

What if they know what he is like and still like Putin? It’s very possible, isn’t  Ovechkin a known Putin supporter?

I think that’s true, is it?  As much as I think we can’t stereo type, and Perhaps Ovechkin is brainwashed, but how did his teammates get along with him in Washington of all places? I guess that was before the invasion but geez…. He has been evil for a very long time…Being a tyrant and all…. LOL, how are we going to do it? Those are two very talented D-men, imho…. But if they understand what Putin is and still support him in any way, I’d-be done with them… And yes, I do realize that the US is no sweetheart either… But Russia’s history of slaying and/or torturing their own people is a very long one…. And have they ever been a communist country?

Ovi is more than a Putin supporter he has campaigned with/for him in the past. He's a poster boy for Vlad. Best buds. 

But it's hockey, so these things tend to get ignored don't they. Ask Hasek how he feels about it. 

5 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

My son played with some Russian guys in junior last year. They were here to get away from a few things and to avoid the military. I spoke to them a few times but the war never came up. If they were able to extend their visas they would have stayed here.

My wife heard one of them casually mention that Ukraine was a part of Russia. I am not sure if that comes from their education or propaganda but these guys didn’t seem like they would fight for that cause.

Just this group alone is super intriguing: 

Draftees (10) - Helenius (14th overall 2024), Östlund (16th 2022), Kulich (28th 2022), Rosen (20th 2021), Wahlberg (39th 2023),

It will be very interesting to see how this group does going forward. Over the next couple of years they might play a big role in determining wether the Sabres are a successful team or not. If they can get plugged into the line up and become solid NHL players who contribute that will obviously be a big plus. The disappointment will be palpable should they in whole or large part fizzle and be flops  

No clue if any get called up this year and help out or they all stay in Rochester and develop, but for a few of them its going to be put up or shut up time soon, though maybe not this year necessarily. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's not a good mix in my opinion. Too young and talented. I suppose it was inevitable with all our draft picks. Have to put them somewhere. 

Being young and talented is not a problem if they have players on the roster that will support them and help keep them from being intimidated.  

Helenius (14th overall 2024), Östlund (16th 2022), Kulich (28th 2022), Rosen (20th 2021), Wahlberg (39th 2023), Johnson (31st 2019), Komarov (134th 2022), Novikov (188th 2021) - this is a lot talent.   

• Thanks (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Being young and talented is not a problem if they have players on the roster that will support them and help keep them from being intimidated.  

Helenius (14th overall 2024), Östlund (16th 2022), Kulich (28th 2022), Rosen (20th 2021), Wahlberg (39th 2023), Johnson (31st 2019), Komarov (134th 2022), Novikov (188th 2021) - this is a lot talent.   

Good luck intimidating Novikov. That's 6'4" and over 200lbs of angry defender. If he improves his foot speed he's gonna be a lot of fun. 

Also, Helenius, Östlund, Kulich, Rosen have all played previous seasons either in the AHL or against men so I don't worry about that for them. R Johnson came from College so he's not getting intimidated either. 

• Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

Are you ok?

15 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Whatever happened to Mersch? Did he sign on with anybody?

12 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He went unsigned in free agency.  He will be 32 by opening night and his foot speed fell off a cliff last season.  He is/was a good guy and good leader, but it was probably time for the next phase of his life. He was a good captain for us and will be remembered fondly.  

I read he’s mulling retirement.  At 32. Reasonable for hockey, absurd for real life.  I’ll be working until the day I die which is hopefully not too soon but you never know.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

That's what I'm saying. AHL is a tough league, especially come playoff time. Lots of hacks and thugs in it. The roster should be better balanced much like they are trying to do with the NHL team. The 2 teams should in many ways mirror each other. 

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ovi is more than a Putin supporter he has campaigned with/for him in the past. He's a poster boy for Vlad. Best buds. 

But it's hockey, so these things tend to get ignored don't they. Ask Hasek how he feels about it. 

How does Hasek feel about it?

and, do you suppose they are deathly afraid of saying the wrong thing? I sure would be when you think about it. Everyone of them probably have friends and family they cannot get out…. In fact, that could be it and why they are able to get over these things. That, and kids are pretty dumb, especially those that spend their entire life at a hockey arena…. I know I was…

one of the funniest things ever was from the show Moonlighting where Maddy called Bruce Willis, “a rebel without a clue” man, did I laugh at that. I think because it summed up my younger days so well…. Not saying I’m smart now, just compared to that kid…. It was the Taming of the Shrew episode which was their best episode ever, imho….

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/7/2024 at 1:31 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

This look like a very young and talented forward group for the Amerks, coupled with 3 good D prospects and solid goaltending regardless of whether Reimer or Levi is the Sabres backup.

Forwards -

Draftees (10) - Helenius (14th overall 2024), Östlund (16th 2022), Kulich (28th 2022), Rosen (20th 2021), Wahlberg (39th 2023), Kisakov (53rd 2021), Neuchev (74th 2022), Tullio (126th Edm 2020), plus other draftees Nadeau and Kozak will be fighting for roster spots. 

Veterans (6) - Murray, Jobst, Dunne, Cheveldayoff, Slaggert, Warren (last 3 on AHL deals)

Defense - 

Draftees (3) - Johnson (31st 2019), Komarov (134th 2022), Novikov (188th 2021)

Veterans (6) - Clague, Poolman, Rathbone, Tischke, Prow, Laaouan (last 3 on AHL deals)

Goalies - 

Levi/Reimer, Sandstrom, Houser (AHL deal) - Sabres camp will determine if Reimer or Levi is the starter in Rochester. I suspect Reimer loses that battle.

Does anyone that actually watched the Amerks last season care to stab at the probable lines? I think it is kinda tough seeing as there is so much to consider. Like, do they want a kid like Helenius to get right in there or should he be brought along slowly? I guess it depends how he looks in camp or perhaps the Sabres brass feel they already know? Then there’s the adjustment of playing on much smaller ice to consider. And that’s just one player!

I think they should try hard to continue to win as it is very good for player development. It is a hard row to hoe deciding who plays where and how much.

Question: Does the AHL let you have a larger active bench so you can bring kids along better?

4 minutes ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

Does anyone that actually watched the Amerks last season care to stab at the probable lines? I think it is kinda tough seeing as there is so much to consider. Like, do they want a kid like Helenius to get right in there or should he be brought along slowly? I guess it depends how he looks in camp or perhaps the Sabres brass feel they already know? Then there’s the adjustment of playing on much smaller ice to consider. And that’s just one player!

I think they should try hard to continue to win as it is very good for player development. It is a hard row to hoe deciding who plays where and how much.

Question: Does the AHL let you have a larger active bench so you can bring kids along better?

Oh! And pairs please, thank you!

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

The AHL doesn't have the same kind of roster limits as the NHL.  Their limits on based on how many vets (players over 260 games of pro experience to start a season) can play each night.  Anyone with under 260 games is considered a developmental player and you can play as many developmental players as you want.  There is also an exception for 1 player with over 260 games but less than 320. Goalies are exempted from these rules.  13 skaters each night must be developmental players.  Otherwise there are no roster limits in the AHL.  

That makes sense considering every injury in the NHL usually causes callups from the A.  You don't want to leave the A team shorthanded when the parent club has a rash of injuries.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

Two players played more than 60 last year for the Amerks, they dressed 43 different players.

Of the 15 players who played at least 50, about 1/2 them won’t be back.

And there’s a new coach.

Player movement is a fact of life in the AHL and predicting the lines would be impossible.

This would be my stab at a depth chart:

• Kulich Rosen
  • Östlund Wahlberg
  • Helenius Neuchev

As top prospects likely getting top 9 minutes

• Murray, Jobst, Dunne, Tullio

As key vets likely to get top 9 minutes

• Kozak, Kisakov, Nadeau

As prospects looking to be regulars

• Slaggert, Warren, Chevaldayoff

As depth veterans looking to be regulars

I’d put Murray in the 1st line, Jobst line 2, and give Kisakov a shot on line 3

Tulio, Dunne, Kozak would be a PITA 4th line that in practice would probably be line 3.

Helenius and Östlund battling for 2C ice time would be fun.

Edited by dudacek

7 hours ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

How does Hasek feel about it?

and, do you suppose they are deathly afraid of saying the wrong thing? I sure would be when you think about it. Everyone of them probably have friends and family they cannot get out…. In fact, that could be it and why they are able to get over these things. That, and kids are pretty dumb, especially those that spend their entire life at a hockey arena…. I know I was…

one of the funniest things ever was from the show Moonlighting where Maddy called Bruce Willis, “a rebel without a clue” man, did I laugh at that. I think because it summed up my younger days so well…. Not saying I’m smart now, just compared to that kid…. It was the Taming of the Shrew episode which was their best episode ever, imho….

Oh go look it up. Hasek was very vocal and wanted Russian players suspended and/or have their pay suspended. I forget the details but he was very vocal and campaigned hard to sanction them. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The AHL doesn't have the same kind of roster limits as the NHL.  Their limits on based on how many vets (players over 260 games of pro experience to start a season) can play each night.  Anyone with under 260 games is considered a developmental player and you can play as many developmental players as you want.  There is also an exception for 1 player with over 260 games but less than 320. Goalies are exempted from these rules.  13 skaters each night must be developmental players.  Otherwise there are no roster limits in the AHL.  

That makes sense considering every injury in the NHL usually causes callups from the A.  You don't want to leave the A team shorthanded when the parent club has a rash of injuries.

Hey, thanks a lot!

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh go look it up. Hasek was very vocal and wanted Russian players suspended and/or have their pay suspended. I forget the details but he was very vocal and campaigned hard to sanction them. 

Wow! That’s really interesting, thanks. I will look it up….

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Two players played more than 60 last year for the Amerks, they dressed 43 different players.

Of the 15 players who played at least 50, about 1/2 them won’t be back.

And there’s a new coach.

Player movement is a fact of life in the NHL and predicting the lines would be impossible.

This would be my stab at a depth chart:

• Kulich Rosen
  • Östlund Wahlberg
  • Helenius Neuchev

As top prospects likely getting top 9 minutes

• Murray, Jobst, Dunne, Tullio

As key vets likely to get top 9 minutes

• Kozak, Kisakov, Nadeau

As prospects looking to be regulars

• Slaggert, Warren, Chevaldayoff

As depth veterans looking to be regulars

I’d put Murray in the 1st line, Jobst line 2, and give Kisakov a shot on line 3

Tulio, Dunne, Kozak would be a PITA 4th line that in practice would probably be line 3.

Helenius and Östlund battling for 2C ice time would be fun.

Who’s 1C?