Is KA done tinkering with the roster this off-season?

42 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I actually like the addition of Malenstyn alot, not because of the lack of moves we made getting a top 6 but because we finally have toughness in pretty much all of our lines right now aside from line 1 that is (I like Tuch but I wouldn't really call him tough but an argument can be made he adds toughness to our top line). Cozens line 2, the entire 4th line , Greenway/Benson on line 3. 

Oh I don't hate it, I just don't think it's a huge upgrade and until I see him do something I feel we overpaid drastically for a fringe player. Now if he's crashing and banging and making a difference I might change my mind but his NHL resume is pretty small. 

On 8/6/2024 at 6:50 PM, _Q_ said:

In my opinion yes.  If we had Levi's production for Comrie's disaster last year it would have been close.  Better coaching, better roster I say yes.  But we will see.

If Josh Allen tears his ACL in practice the Bills won't be making the playoffs either.

What kind of a response is this? 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Oh I don't hate it, I just don't think it's a huge upgrade and until I see him do something I feel we overpaid drastically for a fringe player. Now if he's crashing and banging and making a difference I might change my mind but his NHL resume is pretty small. 

Yeah I get what you mean and it's taken Adams almost 5 seasons to finally add toughness to the roster and probably only did so because Ruff wanted those types of players. 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Yeah I get what you mean and it's taken Adams almost 5 seasons to finally add toughness to the roster and probably only did so because Ruff wanted those types of players. 

4 seasons but point still stands. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1

5 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Adams is technically in charge but I am sure Ruff's suggestions are acted upon to the best of his ability. So in a way, I think Ruff is in charge. Ruff wanted Skinner gone and a tougher bottom 6. Whether he demanded that as a condition of signing or he just asked for it I don't know, but I am sure he wanted it. 

If like the tenacity added to the bottom 6.  However,  I don’t believe it was the bottom six that kept us out of the playoffs last year.  Still want to see a skill player added and preferably one that can play center.   Keep tinkering KA. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Adams is technically in charge but I am sure Ruff's suggestions are acted upon to the best of his ability. So in a way, I think Ruff is in charge. Ruff wanted Skinner gone and a tougher bottom 6. Whether he demanded that as a condition of signing or he just asked for it I don't know, but I am sure he wanted it. 

I 100% think these were Ruff types of moves had had alot of say who to go get imo but of course we'll never know that but the fact that Adams has never picked up these types of players other than Green way in the years he's been GM makes me think it's correct. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Mr Peabody said:

If like the tenacity added to the bottom 6.  However,  I don’t believe it was the bottom six that kept us out of the playoffs last year.  Still want to see a skill player added and preferably one that can play center.   Keep tinkering KA. 

I think this is more right than wrong.

3 hours ago, Mr Peabody said:

I don't think it was the only reason but the bottom 6 basically added very little toughness, little secondary scoring. We added the toughness for sure and hopefully with Zucker, McLeod we now have the secondary scoring as well.

On 8/6/2024 at 3:21 PM, dudacek said:

Interesting rumour out there that the Habs had the framework of a deal in place at the draft for Trevor Zegras.

But they ended up backing out when the draft broke their way with Demidov and Hage and they decided they didn't want too many players of the same type.

It's of particular interest to me because:

a) it adds credence to the idea that the Ducks and Zegras might have decided it's time to break up (I can see Pat Verbeek not being a fan).

b) the purported price tag was blueline prospect Logan Mailloux and the first they used to pick Hage (#21), which seems very much in line with the variations of Wahlberg and a 1st package we've seen from @tom webster and in other places.

Trading Zegras without salary coming back would drop the Ducks under the floor. I wonder if the holdup is simply the Ducks figuring out how they're going to bridge the salary gap?

You may be correct in this and it may be harder than I think, but of all places I would thank Anaheim wouldn't have much of a problem.

Find a guy who was overpaid, but received money up front (lots of them do now), so you don't have to pay much out of pocket but there is a cap hit. Toward the end of his career, still useful but not worth the money.  Willing to spend a year or two at the end of his contract playing hockey for a team without super-high expectations and in southern California.   I would think (without looking I can't verify) but I think there would be a lot of contracts out there that teams near the cap would WANT to unload.

12 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

You may be correct in this and it may be harder than I think, but of all places I would thank Anaheim wouldn't have much of a problem.

Find a guy who was overpaid, but received money up front (lots of them do now), so you don't have to pay much out of pocket but there is a cap hit. Toward the end of his career, still useful but not worth the money.  Willing to spend a year or two at the end of his contract playing hockey for a team without super-high expectations and in southern California.   I would think (without looking I can't verify) but I think there would be a lot of contracts out there that teams near the cap would WANT to unload.

I think the issue stems from if a team wanted to trade for Zegras they would have to send a roster player back purely because of the cap floor. For teams trying to rid of a cap dump; that makes the price even higher and thus very lopsided in assets. Additionally the teams with solid roster players looking at Zegras are unlikely looking to deal a roster player to get a different roster player while also playing with the cap space issues.

23 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Can the Sabres trade Skinner's buyout?  😉

• Disagree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.