Is KA done tinkering with the roster this off-season?

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think they're out of phase.  I would say we were 26th last year and higher (maybe not 8th but higher) this year.

They were simply way over rated last year by getting 8th place.  They were way under the cap and they added little in the off season. 

You can rate Adams for his 4 years and it would have to be bottom 20 percent of the league.   Hands tied or not, he has not done enough. 

Hopefully this year he has, finally. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Demoted said:

Are they going to make the playoffs with this roster?

In my opinion yes.  If we had Levi's production for Comrie's disaster last year it would have been close.  Better coaching, better roster I say yes.  But we will see.

If Josh Allen tears his ACL in practice the Bills won't be making the playoffs either.

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

“We will be ok”?  What does this even mean?

Very simply, if we stay relatively healthy with our top goal scores and net minders.  This is a playoff team.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think they're out of phase.  I would say we were 26th last year and higher (maybe not 8th but higher) this year.

No, I don't think so. There was a lot of optimism last year because of being a point out the year before. They blew it though with their stand still development path so pessimism crept in. There's an optimism bump now because of Ruff's hiring and the small moves they made but I think a lot of people are in the "show me" mood like I am. 

After 13 years anything above 30 is generous. 

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Very simply, if we stay relatively healthy with our top goal scores and net minders.  This is a playoff team.

That isn't nearly sufficient. In addition we need several young players to step up and be more than they've been. We need Ruff to create a proper team defensive system and we need the players to buy in to it. We need at least one of the goalies to play top level consistent goaltending. We need to be more physical and able to handle physicality better. We need new leadership to emerge and gel. The team has to start hating to lose for real and start working their ***** off on a nightly basis. Our top scorers have to be top scorers again and we need to beat division opponents in regulation and make home ice an actual advantage not a liability. 

It's a lot, but it's all possible. Will it happen? No idea. 

47 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, I don't think so. There was a lot of optimism last year because of being a point out the year before. They blew it though with their stand still development path so pessimism crept in. There's an optimism bump now because of Ruff's hiring and the small moves they made but I think a lot of people are in the "show me" mood like I am.

Right.  But the ratings are looking back.... when they were 8th they were looking back at almost making the playoffs the previous year.  I would say that while Adams could have done more, he did a better job of addressing the holes in the lineup this offseason, yet they're rated as 26th?  That 26th is a reflection of last season, not this offseason.  It's a rating with a severe lag.  26th is a reflection of Kevyn did last offseason, not this one.

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Right.  But the ratings are looking back.... when they were 8th they were looking back at almost making the playoffs the previous year.  I would say that while Adams could have done more, he did a better job of addressing the holes in the lineup this offseason, yet they're rated as 26th?  That 26th is a reflection of last season, not this offseason.  It's a rating with a severe lag.  26th is a reflection of Kevyn did last offseason, not this one.

I’m pretty sure they did the survey in the last few weeks and that I filled it out. Post all of our moves. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think there's a lag that's true, but would you really put them up to 8th now? That 8th last year was way too high and based on some sort of crazy optimism that wasn't really warranted. I mean on the Bruins site they're arguing that their 14th place ranking is too high because they haven't won the cup in over a decade. 8th for a team that hasn't been in the playoffs in 13 years was crazy and 26th seems far more reasonable. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

would you really put them up to 8th now?

I didn't say that.  What I said was

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And to expand on the parenthetic, maybe not 8th but higher than the previous season.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I still say 26th is about right. Until they make the playoffs no way should they be much higher than that. 

This comment can be rephrased: “I am right … until I’m wrong”.

- Is the original supposed to stand as an intelligent statement?

- Does it help us formulate a cogent view of what to expect from the team going forward?

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

I didn't realize Thomas Harley was still unsigned. Talk about one of the best "under the radar" guys from the last season.

Dallas don't have to cap space to give him a long term deal, they need to go bridge until some big contracts come of the books in 3  years.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't see an obvious hole that they can still make a move to fill.  Let me rephrase...I do now see what THEY think is an obvious hole they want to fill.  If an opportunity came along to get better, I'm sure they would package something to do that. But at this point, I think they are 'content' to take what they have into camp.

the better free agent with no trade clauses simply do not want to play for this franchise, similar to the Bills during the drought

4 hours ago, PortuCool said:

- Does it help us formulate a cogent view of what to expect from the team going forward?

This is obnoxious.  Do not communicate like this here.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PortuCool said:

Making a point that you are right until proven wrong is a credible argument.  It may be an irritating argument to be constantly subjected to, but being right with respect to the past and up to the present, if can't be refuted, could be considered to be a reasonable position to take. I have a different view but that doesn't mean that his view should be dismissed out of hand. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, _Q_ said:

In my opinion yes.  If we had Levi's production for Comrie's disaster last year it would have been close.  Better coaching, better roster I say yes.  But we will see.

If Josh Allen tears his ACL in practice the Bills won't be making the playoffs either.

You can’t compare Josh Allen and his impact on the Bills to anyone on the Sabres.  

• Agree 3

10 hours ago, PortuCool said:

No, it's I'm right until PROVEN wrong. 

13 years of futility with off season hope and promises and disappointments every year. The bar is so low for this fanbase people are actually excited about Beck Malentsyn ffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

The Athletic Rest of the Ranking

1 Florida 

2 Dallas

3 Tampa 

4 Utah 

5 Vancouver 

6 Montreal 

7. New Jersey

8. Carolina

9 Colorado

10. Nashville 

11. Vegas

12. Chicago

13. San Jose

14 Boston

15 Washington 

16 Anaheim 

17 New York Rangers

18. Calgary

19. Winnipeg

20, Philadelphia 

21. Detroit 

22. Ottawa 

23. St Louis 

24 Minnesota 

25. Edmonton

26. Buffalo 

27. Seattle 

28. Columbus 

29. Pittsburgh 

30 Toronto 

31. Los Angeles 

32. New York Islanders 

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, it's I'm right until PROVEN wrong. 

13 years of futility with off season hope and promises and disappointments every year. The bar is so low for this fanbase people are actually excited about Beck Malentsyn ffs. 

I actually like the addition of Malenstyn alot, not because of the lack of moves we made getting a top 6 but because we finally have toughness in pretty much all of our lines right now aside from line 1 that is (I like Tuch but I wouldn't really call him tough but an argument can be made he adds toughness to our top line). Cozens line 2, the entire 4th line , Greenway/Benson on line 3. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.