OT - Trusted Mechanic

inkman

So I’ve been going to the same mechanic for decades. Their family was neighbors of ours growing up.  Their dad passed the shop down to his son who has run the shop for at least 20 years.  I never had much of a problem with their service at all. 

The last couple of years have me wondering though.  I got my brakes replaced 2-3 years ago, immediately as I drove off the lot they were squeaking.  The next time in, I mentioned it.  No word if there was an issue.  So my truck is back in the shop, guess what inky needs new brakes.  I realize brakes wear and need to be replace but I can’t help but feel like the last time they were replaced, the work was less than adequate (hence the squeaky brakes).  He’s had somewhat of a revolving door with his help, leaving me to question the aptitude of his employees.  

I have no interest in going anywhere else.  I trust him and his pricing is ideal.  Maybe I’m overthink it.  

11 minutes ago, inkman said:

So I’ve been going to the same mechanic for decades. Their family was neighbors of ours growing up.  Their dad passed the shop down to his son who has run the shop for at least 20 years.  I never had much of a problem with their service at all. 

The last couple of years have me wondering though.  I got my brakes replaced 2-3 years ago, immediately as I drove off the lot they were squeaking.  The next time in, I mentioned it.  No word if there was an issue.  So my truck is back in the shop, guess what inky needs new brakes.  I realize brakes wear and need to be replace but I can’t help but feel like the last time they were replaced, the work was less than adequate (hence the squeaky brakes).  He’s had somewhat of a revolving door with his help, leaving me to question the aptitude of his employees.  

I have no interest in going anywhere else.  I trust him and his pricing is ideal.  Maybe I’m overthink it.  

I have a similar situation. Because I trust my guy and the price is always right, I overlook some things I normally wouldn’t, such as my squeaky brakes that have had me back a few times.

I'm lucky that so far (knock wood) since I've moved, I have two garages in my neighborhood that do quality work at fair prices.  One is literally at the end of my block, but they're a small place with limited hours (no Saturdays, close at 5).  The other one is at the other end of my hood.... technically walking distance; I've done it, but it's over a mile.  But they're a bigger shop, several mechanics, open a little later and Saturdays.  I usually go to the close place first and if they're busy I go to the other place.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Sounds like they might be installing cheaper, lower quality brakes and/or pads. 

No data to back it up, but I have always suspected that squeaky brakes were more likely the result of pad material rather than quality of the prep/installation.  Not sure if lower quality materials results in squeaking, or just specific materials (at any price point).

Edited by Weave
  • Agree 1

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

Ram 1500.  Probably 20k.  

What?!?!?!!! You get 20k out of pads?!!

Pro tip. Learn to do your own brakes. It’s a relatively simple job with pretty basic tools. Takes about a hour. Use the money you saved on something fun.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, inkman said:

Ram 1500.  Probably 20k.  

If it's a 2019 you're not alone.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Ram/1500/2019/brakes/squealing_brakes.shtml

Although, you should be getting a lot more out of those brakes.

https://www.mikeshawjeep.com/ram-1500-brake-pads.htm

We usually stick with the dealer for service. I know it's more expensive typically, but I prefer OEM parts whenever possible. Anyway, my kid had his brakes done on his Mazda last year and they squealed. I told him he needs to get that addressed because new brakes aren't supposed to squeal. Dealer told him "some squeal is normal." The rotors are, at the very least, lubricated to prevent squealing, but he was told something else.

He's a big boy and I didn't hold his hand in getting it dealt with, but the dealer was wrong. He initially thought I was wrong and the dealer should know what they're talking about. Still, every time he brought it in since for oil changes I told him to mention it. Well, two oil changes after being told the squealing was normal, the tech who did the car recognized that they did something wrong and replaced all of his brakes (on the house) and the squeals were gone.

So, I don't know what to say about managing your circle, but it seems to me you have cause to complain.

Edited by ...

40 minutes ago, ... said:

We usually stick with the dealer for service. I know it's more expensive typically, but I prefer OEM parts whenever possible.

I go to the dealer as long as the car is under warranty.  After that it's not worth the drive.  As it turns out, with a Fiat I often get OEM parts anyway since the aftermarketers don't see much money in supporting such low volume.  And oddly, the parts are still cheap, even with OEM.

4 hours ago, inkman said:

If you have a personable relationship with the guy I'd be tempted to just tell him about the issue and see how he responds.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

What?!?!?!!! You get 20k out of pads?!!

Pro tip. Learn to do your own brakes. It’s a relatively simple job with pretty basic tools. Takes about a hour. Use the money you saved on something fun.

I’m 70 and do my breaks in the driveway.  This year I heard squeaking so thought maybe pads were worn.  They weren’t that bad but since the patient was open I decided to replace all rotors and pads.  Went to Autozone and since the previous ones were purchased there and less than 2 years old all were free.   Probably had 40,000 miles on them. 

Edited by Mr Peabody

The only issue with doing brakes now, some newer cars (my gmc truck) require a reset of some things like a parking brake sensor and etc after the job is done. I have c clamps and etc and the rotors and pads (even calipers) aren't so hard, but the electronic stuff Is over my head. 

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

The only issue with doing brakes now, some newer cars (my gmc truck) require a reset of some things like a parking brake sensor and etc after the job is done. I have c clamps and etc and the rotors and pads (even calipers) aren't so hard, but the electronic stuff Is over my head. 

Yeah I’m not trusting my janky ass to install something that ensures the livelihood of me and my family. 

3 hours ago, inkman said:

So my wife’s car was in the shop yesterday.  Also needing brakes.  Now the tire pressure sensor isn’t reading.  I can’t win. 🤣

I wish there was a way to turn that damn thing off. My light has been on for over 10 years and the bells go off every time I start the truck ever since I rotated the tires the first time. Now, all the batteries in the sensors are dead and it’s like $250 per tire to replace them. Screw that. The air gauge I bought was 10 bucks.

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

$250 per tire to replace them.

😮 

When I got a new set of tires, the TPMS sensors were $61.  Tire installation was $88.  That's for all 4 tires.  So if I were just getting the new sensors it would have been $150 for the full set.  I suggest you try a different shop.

On 7/31/2024 at 12:10 PM, inkman said:

This google search may help you figure out what the issue is. There could be a number of reasons for the brake problem. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=auto+problems+squeaky+brakes&oq=auto+problems+squeaky+brakes&aqs=chrome..69i57j33i160l5j33i671l4.12186j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I had a trusted place I was going to for a while. Ownership changed eventually and suddenly my car started to need random work. It was getting old at that point, so it may very well have been a coincidence. Still, it didn’t sit well with me. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.