Rumor: Hurricanes agreed to trade Necas to Sabres, Necas refused to sign extension here

Big Guava

Not sure if this was mentioned somewhere but this kinda hurts if true...

"Seravalli asserts that Carolina had agreed to a Necas trade with the Buffalo Sabres. However, Seravalli did admit in the podcast that it may not have been the Sabres but he was fairly certain. The trade broke down relatively quickly as Necas purportedly would not agree to sign a new contract in Buffalo."

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/07/hurricanes-attempted-to-trade-necas-prior-to-extension.html

I posted this in another thread 

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

FWIW Chad DeDominicis  has been pretty consistent in stating the Sabres did not have interest in Necas. The conversations were centered around Jack Drury, the trade would have been identical cost to the Edmonton Deal.  

Chad first mentioned this around the draft 

I believe Chad, Brawndo and myself, amongst others, have been told the same thing. Necas never made sense to Buffalo for a number of reasons. 
I do believe Ehlers agreed to waive but not extend but the trade was never completely agreed upon.

I still think Zegras remains a possibility although it feels like Buffalo is willing to wait it out.

• Thanks (+1) 3

Is Necas really the kind of player that can be that fussy at this stage of his career, it sounds like he is willing to take less money from a contending team or a "better" destination, so be it.   Maybe he should be thinking about why Carolina is moving him.  

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Is Necas really the kind of player that can be that fussy at this stage of his career, it sounds like he is willing to take less money from a contending team or a "better" destination, so be it.   Maybe he should be thinking about why Carolina is moving him.  

Carolina just signed him to a 2 year deal yesterday. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Very little interest Necas personally. 

8 hours ago, Big Guava said:

"Seravalli asserts that Carolina had agreed to a Necas trade with the Buffalo Sabres. However, Seravalli did admit in the podcast that it may not have been the Sabres but he was fairly certain. The trade broke down relatively quickly as Necas purportedly would not agree to sign a new contract in Buffalo."

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2024/07/hurricanes-attempted-to-trade-necas-prior-to-extension.html

Doesn't hurt at all because I think it's wrong. I think this was Ehlers not Necas. 

Edited by LGR4GM

16 hours ago, Big Guava said:

Doesn’t hurt at all. If he wants to be a passenger we don’t need him on this team. He was slotted for top 6 minutes here. If he wanted to sign the same contract and work his ass off for a 8x8+ I’d have been thrilled to have him, even if he signed his next deal with a different team 2 years from now.  His loss. 

15 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I don't blame any player for not wanting to come here. I won't take shifts at a trash hospital, why would a player take a spot on a trash team willingly? 

We made our bed.. 

If the hospital was paying you millions you would.

2 hours ago, Demoted said:

If the hospital was paying you millions you would.

Negative ghostrider. I've left a place that was paying me more because it was terrible. 

Money doesn't change a place being terrible. Besides the difference in 2.5mil vs 3 mil, isn't as big of a deal it is to us making much less. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Negative ghostrider. I've left a place that was paying me more because it was terrible. 

Money doesn't change a place being terrible. Besides the difference in 2.5mil vs 3 mil, isn't as big of a deal it is to us making much less. 

Completely disagree.  We can typically earn money in our fields much longer vs an NHL player that stops earning in their 30's.  I think 500K certainly matters to them too.

I gotta say, this seems like a whole lotta nothing to me.  He didn't refuse to be traded to the Sabres (not sure whether he had a NTC, but either way he certainly could've made it known that he didn't want to come here) -- he refused to sign an extension as part of the trade.  I think Necas, like most NHL players, would've signed an extension with a new team as part of a trade, and not waited 1 more season to go to UFA, only for a huge contract -- and I think very few teams would've offered Necas a huge contract.