Are we finally OK in the net?

dudacek

Goaltending  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Are we finally going to be OK in net?

• Yes. There is a clear #1, a great prospect who can play right now, and a solid veteran stopgap
    • No. I don't really trust either of the 2 unproven young guys, and Reimer is a space filler
    • Goalies are voodoo, ask me something else

Goaltending has been a talking point for Adams' entire tenure and really since Tim Murray shipped Ryan Miller to the Blues.

According the Athletic, the Sabres have the NHL's 3rd best group of goaltenders, combining the cap, the present, and the future:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5646654/2024/07/26/ranking-each-nhl-teams-current-and-future-goaltending-outlook-part-3-the-top-10/

3. Buffalo Sabres

Current: 11

Granger: I absolutely love the current trajectory of Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen. He took major strides in his second full NHL season, stopping 22.46 GSAx (sixth in the league, just behind Swayman) despite playing behind a porous Buffalo defense. Luukkonen’s biggest asset is his mind, reading the ice to stay ahead of plays and make saves look easier than they should. He recently began working with respected Finnish goalie coach Hannu Nykvist (who famously worked with Bobrovsky). At 25, the future is bright for UPL and the Sabres, who also have high-upside prospect Devon Levi.

Future: 2

Wheeler: Luukkonen’s no longer a prospect but Levi, Scott Ratzlaff, Ryerson Leenders and Topias Leinonen are, and each has varying degrees of potential. I still believe Levi’s one of the best young goalies in the sport and the heir apparent (over UPL) for the Sabres net long term, and I’ve got a lot of time for both Ratzlaff and Leenders, even if though don’t have the size teams covet. Leinonen does have the size but I worry about his feet/mobility/fitness. Still, in Levi, I think they have a potential 1A and between the other three, you hope that one becomes a backup/No. 3 down the line.

Cap: 10

McIndoe: The Luukkonen extension dropped this week, and if Jesse is right about where he ranks, it’s decent value at $4.75 million, although at five years it’s certainly not without some risk. With Levi and veteran James Reimer both on cheap deals, the Sabres’ spending here is reasonable.

Bottom line: Did we … did we just dump a bunch of optimism on the Buffalo Sabres? This is so confusing.

Thoughts?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

None of the choices really fit my opinion.

I think UPL needs another season of sustained performance to use the word trust, but I’m not really concerned that he is likely to fail.

Levi is still an unknown.  Good to great showings in enough of his appearances to breed confidence, but nowhere near enough to breed trust.

If Reimer is making substantial starts this season something went wrong with KAs plan.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I'm someplace between #1 and #3.  

Yeah, I'm content with the situation in net, I THINK they are "OK", but you just never know with goalies.  Hasek in his prime and sure, you are 100% fine, but most other goalies, they are just....goalies.

• Like (+1) 1

None of the anwers, the way they're written, is quite accurate.

Yes, the Sabres will be OK in net.  The big question is "will they be GOOD in net, this season."  The answer to that is something like either probably or hopefully.  Personally, expect that the goaltending will be good this year.  But wouldn't have a whole lot down on that bet.

• Like (+1) 2

I want to see what UPL does this season. He has been very inconsistent till last year, which was a contract year.

Can he do it now that he has been paid. 

I have great faith in Levi, but he also needs to show he can play consistently at a high level in the NHL.

From my POV... still need to see it again this season, but we had little choice.  We had to rap up UPL, and at least it was not an overpay.

5 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I have great faith in Levi, but he also needs to show he can play consistently at a high level in the NHL.

I think “faith” is exactly the right word.  Certitude with minimal evidence.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Adam’s was patient and now we’re in a good situation because of it. If he freaked out a couple years ago we’d be in a bind right now 

We also may very likely have bee in the playoffs 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I voted for #1.  Yes.  But I want to caveat this 

There appears to be a clear #1, a great prospect who can possibly play right now, and a reasonably solid veteran stopgap. 

This is the best goalie situation we have seen going into a season in quite some time.  Their is talent in goal that is maturing, and this should be the year we turn a corner and can feel good about the goaltending.   If Lindy can put a better team structure in front of these guys than we have seen in the past, then we will be much better in the net.  

I voted for 1.  Even if one Luukonen regresses, because as choice 3 suggests "goalies are voodoo", we still have another 2 NHL capable goalies.  Our goalie situation is not quite a sure thing, but its about as close to a sure thing as you are going to get without a multiple year proven NHL #1. 

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

Not with Granato. Glad we got lindyLindy

I  believe we only missed the playoffs by 1 point in 2023. So you believe granato and not goaltending cost us one point.

I am thrilled to have lindy as coach 

UPL had a great last half of the season. I hope he can continue that thru next season. 

Unfortunately once again ka has pinned our hopes on making the playoffs on hoping. He's hoping UPL continues his good play from last year. It would be nice to make the playoffs on proven skill and not hope so.

So I voted no. Sure hope I'm wrong 

Edited by sabresouth

21 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

I agree. But we would’ve been swept and more distraught than missing it

tom delonge wtf GIF

I will take getting swept in the first round over missing the playoffs every time.  The level of distraught in this fanbase is overwhelming precisely because they could not have been swept in the first round for……. Counts fingers and toes…… 13 seasons.  Or is it 14 now?

Holy ***** I can’t believe someone actually expressed that thought.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Who knows!

UPL has one season of good pro hockey under his belt and now carries the burden of the big contract.

Levi was very good in the AHL in 26 games and up and down in 23 NHL games, but still finished with a decent .899 save %.

Reimer was decent for Det last season in a backup role with a 3.11 and a .904 in 25 games, but he played behind a slightly better defense than he'll most likely have in Buffalo.  At 36 it's reasonable to ask how much NHL hockey he has left. 

The potential is there for UPL to repeat last season and for Levi to continue to improve and challenge him for the top job.  If successful we might see an Ullmark/Swayman type tandem.   The downside is UPL regresses, Levi proves not quite NHL ready and Reimer is playing much more than anyone anticipated or hoped.

Even with UPL's good year last season, the Sabres goaltending as a whole, both at EV and on the PK, was league average.  This kept a porous defense (791 HDCA - 6th worst in the NHL) from destroying the season.  I don't really expect much improvement in the D play, thus UPL, Levi, and Reimer will have to be better than league average for this team to make the playoffs.

Here is the good news.  The UPL/Levi/Reimer triumvirate is better than the mess we had last year.  UPL and Levi are more experienced and better goalies than they were a year ago and Reimer is a substantial upgrade on Comrie.  On paper this is the best group we have had since KA arrived.  To bad it took 3 years to get to this point.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

13 hours ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

not convinced.  would have preferred acquiring a legit quality veteran goalie.

UPL has shown some promise for sure.  We'll see.   Levi becoming Ryan Miller would really help too haha

Who is this legit quality veteran goalie that you were hoping for? 

I'm not a full on yes or full on no which probably seems like a cop out but I just don't think UPL will sustain that level of play as last year but i don't think he'll revert back to his former self either, more like a step back which would make him an average goaltender. I also think Levi is going to be one of if not the best goalies in the NHL in the not so distant future to which KA already expressed that Levi will be up in the NHL in interviews and although I'd prefer to have Levi in the AHL for a full season I'm sure they don't want him pissed off before his contract is up. Levi has all the characteristics imo of an elite goaltender.

I know alot of you guys are down on Topias Leinonen but since the goalies take a bit to develope he should be no different and I thought he played really well at development camp, his future is bright imo. I really liked the pickups of Ratzlaf and Leenders also, there is talent there but of course not all of them will make it here so we'll just have to wait and see but I do like the future as well.

UPL played very well last year. I think Levi needed Rochester and I expect him to start there this year. I think we may have a #1 goalie in UPL but I need another season like last year. A 4yr deal was my preferred with UPL so I hope he lives up to his deal. The fact the defense will be similar to last year while the forwards play a better 2way structure should help. 

Our defense should be better now that Samuelsson is back. Also, Byram should be more comfortable in his role since he will have a full training camp to work out with the unit. And as @LGR4GM pointed out, under Lindy there should be better team structure. Last year, UPL played well for the Sabres for an extended period of time. In fact, during that interlude he was one of the better goalies in the league. I really believe that reconstituting the fourth line is going to have a cascading positive effect for the top two lines and for the goalies who are in net. I'm very optimistic about our team goalie situation.