Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen signed 5x4.75mil

thewookie1

16 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just curious. How long was Miller "good" when he got that deal?

Signed in 2008 for 2009 - 2013 - $32M approx.

I would say he was excellent for all of that contract.

He was traded as part of the complete melt down to St. Louis with Ott in late February 2014.

He got 1 more $6M per year contact from Vancouver (2014 - 2016) and then a few more from the Ducks to close out his career. 

I would say he was good for at least most of his 3 years in Vancouver.  The Ducks signed him for 2 years at $2M per in 2017.  Then for 1 year for $1M for 2019 and another for 2020 (at age 40).  Still listed as UFA even though he retired. 

EDIT TO ADD:

I see that you were asking about prior to the big contract in 2009 ... in 2006 he signed for 3 years and $18M ... 2005 (lockout year - $500K)  Before that a 1 year Rookie Contract for $1M.  So, I would say Miller was good for maybe a year or 2 before he got his big contract - not a lot unlike 6K.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...
  • dislike 1

20 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Signed in 2008 for 2009 - 2013 - $32M approx.

I would say he was excellent for all of that contract.

He was traded as part of the complete melt down to St. Louis with Ott in late February 2014.

He got 1 more $6M per year contact from Vancouver (2014 - 2016) and then a few more from the Ducks to close out his career. 

I would say he was good for at least most of his 3 years in Vancouver.  The Ducks signed him for 2 years at $2M per in 2017.  Then for 1 year for $1M for 2019 and another for 2020 (at age 40).  Still listed as UFA even though he retired. 

EDIT TO ADD:

I see that you were asking about prior to the big contract in 2009 ... in 2006 he signed for 3 years and $18M ... 2005 (lockout year - $500K)  Before that a 1 year Rookie Contract for $1M.  So, I would say Miller was good for maybe a year or 2 before he got his big contract - not a lot unlike 6K.

What I meant was how good was Miller before he got his five 5 year deal? I want to know if there is an analogy with UPL.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately and don’t know where to put it so why not here. 

At this point, would you trade UPL for peak Marty Biron? I think I would, but won’t be surprised if the answered changed by EOY. 

Edited by #freejame

3 hours ago, #freejame said:

Marty’s best season and his early career pedigree are both higher than anything UPL has done. Marty never got the respect he deserved.

Selective memory. Marty was always decent enough to be in the NHL. He was never a true #1.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Selective memory. Marty was always decent enough to be in the NHL. He was never a true #1.

Yup.  Pretty consistently one of the best 30 goalies in the league, but rarely in the top 15-20.  He was an awesome backup and a poor man's starter.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yup.  Pretty consistently one of the best 30 goalies in the league, but rarely in the top 15-20.  He was an awesome backup and a poor man's starter.

This is exactly my point. Going into this season for this season alone, would you prefer Marty and his consistently top 30 play or do you want to roll the dice with UPL who doesn’t have the track record as of yet. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Marty played 72 games in 01-02 in front of a bad Sabres team with a .915 GAA. His highest GSAA is higher than UPLs highest GSAA and he has multiple seasons of a solid starters workload. I don’t think it’s selective memory at all.