What would a Zegras deal look like?

Does anyone have the numbers on Zegras' defensive stats? Not some weird chart with his skating speed or garbage like that. I keep hearing that he's a 2 way forward but how are they determining this? I'm just curious because I usually use my eyeballs rather than relying on a chart. 

23 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Does anyone have the numbers on Zegras' defensive stats? Not some weird chart with his skating speed or garbage like that. I keep hearing that he's a 2 way forward but how are they determining this? I'm just curious because I usually use my eyeballs rather than relying on a chart. 

He's bad defensively. Hence a major reason I pushback so hard on any talk around here involving trading Jack Quinn for him. IMPO, Zegras has never really been a 2-way forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Not really get the point trading for him , could have just kept Skinner then.

I don’t follow him closely but from what I read he’s a playmaker versus Skinner being a finisher.  We’ve got shooters so a playmaker would fill a need.  

50 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

I don’t follow him closely but from what I read he’s a playmaker versus Skinner being a finisher.  We’ve got shooters so a playmaker would fill a need.  

Can I be honest? I have seen this a bunch and I do not believe it. Which guys are basically just shooters now that Skinner is gone? Tuch, Quinn, Tage all have multiple dimensions to their games. Peterka was a shooter last year so maybe him. Benson certainly is not just a shooter. 

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Can I be honest? I have seen this a bunch and I do not believe it. Which guys are basically just shooters now that Skinner is gone? Tuch, Quinn, Tage all have multiple dimensions to their games. Peterka was a shooter last year so maybe him. Benson certainly is not just a shooter. 

Good push back and maybe I’m using “shooters” incorrectly.  I didn’t mean one dimensional players but folks who have shown the ability to put the puck in the net - Tage, Jack, JJ, Cozens, etc.

What I’m driving at is a need for a puck handling center who can bring the puck into the O zone and set up the offense.  I thought we struggled last year with this.  Mitts may have been our best in that regard. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Peabody said:

Good push back and maybe I’m using “shooters” incorrectly.  I didn’t mean one dimensional players but folks who have shown the ability to put the puck in the net - Tage, Jack, JJ, Cozens, etc.

What I’m driving at is a need for a puck handling center who can bring the puck into the O zone and set up the offense.  I thought we struggled last year with this.  Mitts may have been our best in that regard. 

Dylan Cozens does that better than he shoots. He shot 9% last year. I do agree with we were bad with zone entries and setting up offense but I think that is part granato being bad and part missing Jack Quinn. I think also without Skinner around, Buffalo might improve in that regard. Time will tell and am I not opposed to acquiring Zegras and think he would help regardless of his defensive issues. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He's bad defensively. Hence a major reason I pushback so hard on any talk around here involving trading Jack Quinn for him. IMPO, Zegras has never really been a 2-way forward. 

Well I doubt he’s even an option then. We got rid of Skinner because he has no defensive game so why would we bring in a similar player? 

Edited by GoPuckYourself

25 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Well I doubt he’s even an option then. We got rid of Skinner because he has no defensive game so why would we bring in a similar player? 

Well, Skinner was primarily a shooter and passenger. Zegras is a playmaker and line driver. 

26 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

One reason to want him is he's really good near the net on the PP.  Something Skinner wasn't overly adept at and really nobody else (except possibly Benson or Tuch) on this roster has come close to it.

On 7/30/2024 at 3:52 PM, GoPuckYourself said:

If Zegras is a two-way forward, I’d really hate to see those one-way forwards…. 😳😳😳

• Like (+1) 1