What would a Zegras deal look like?

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I like Quinn, but he is not an elite playmaker.  Maybe he can develop into one, but his stats don't justify that label, not his total assists or his primary assists.  Yes, he Jr scouting reports say he has good passing skills, but the stats say his primary usage in the pros is that of a goal scorer.   What I will say is that his develop curve is looking more and more like Tuch.  In LV, Tuch was primarily used as a depth goal scorer.  However, once he joined the Sabres, Granato elevated his role and gave him more opportunity to be a playmaker.  Over the last 2 years, Tuch's assists and primary assists are second on the Sabres behind Mitts.

Quinn may also eventually be better than Zegras, but he isn't right now.  Zegras is only 6 months older, but has played 211 games in the NHL (107 more than Quinn).  He has 155 pts in those games (.735 pt/gp) vs Quinn's 58 in 104 games (.555 pt/gp).    

Jack Quinn is better. He's going to prove it. 

He's flash in the pan.  He isnt that great on the wall, in face-off competency and is another non defensive player.  He also has a massive ego.  Loved the kid entering his draft year, but no thanks.  Pass.

Edited by Rasmus_
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

He's flash in the pan.  He isnt that great on the wall, in face-off competency and is another non defensive player.  He also has a massive ego.  Loved the kid entering his draft year, but no thanks.  Pass.

LOL

Cozens (7th overall in 2019) 280 games, 66g (.236 g/gp), 100a (.357 a/gp), 166 pts (.593 pts/gp) 

Zegras (9th overall in 2019) 211 games,  55g (.260 g/gp), 99a (.469 a/gp), 154 pts (.730 pts/gp) 

Zegras isn't as physical player as Cozens and so what.  He is a better offensive player despite missed 50 games last year with an injury.  This team needs help generating offense.

• dislike 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

LOL

Cozens (7th overall in 2019) 280 games, 66g (.236 g/gp), 100a (.357 a/gp), 166 pts (.593 pts/gp) 

Zegras (9th overall in 2019) 211 games,  55g (.260 g/gp), 99a (.469 a/gp), 154 pts (.730 pts/gp) 

Zegras isn't as physical player as Cozens and so what.  He is a better offensive player despite missed 50 games last year with an injury.  This team needs help generating offense.

What do you think Anaheim would want in return? Not what you think the Sabres would be willing to trade for him. I don't see KA trading for him. (My opinion.)

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What do you think Anaheim would want in return? Not what you think the Sabres would be willing to trade for him. I don't see KA trading for him. (My opinion.)

Offense is a high price, higher than an inconsistent 2 way. 200 foot game. The price will be high in stocked up young roster talent currently as well as potential in the pipe line.

Think Cozens, Peterka, Quinn type roster talent then add 1 of the big 3 in the pipe line, Kulich, Oster/Rosen or a mix of Wahlburg and another.

Will that be definitive? No, but the Ducks will want a lot given their decision to go complete rebuild. So the question is correct. What is the price?

10 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Offense is a high price, higher than an inconsistent 2 way. 200 foot game. The price will be high in stocked up young roster talent currently as well as potential in the pipe line.

Think Cozens, Peterka, Quinn type roster talent then add 1 of the big 3 in the pipe line, Kulich, Oster/Rosen or a mix of Wahlburg and another.

Will that be definitive? No, but the Ducks will want a lot given their decision to go complete rebuild. So the question is correct. What is the price?

That’s absurd and frankly if they think that then their supposed interest in trading him is a complete fabrication akin to Ehlers

34 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I doubt that a Zegras deal would be so costly. I don't think that even Anaheim would seriously believe that the Sabres would include Cozens, Peterka or Quinn in any deal. Your proposed deal would be an absolutely no deal from a Sabre perspective. The Buffalo phone should be slammed down if any of the three players were asked for. 

On 7/24/2024 at 7:13 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Let’s say for arguments sake that Ana is actually interested in trading their top pick from a couple of years ago after a difficult injury affected season.

Buffalo’s need for a player like Zegras is obvious.  The Sabres need a top 6 forward and need a playmaker of his skill to replace the lost playmaking from trading Mitts.

The biggest hurdle to a deal is Ana is only 1.28 million above the cap floor.  Moving Zegras (and I assume his full salary of $5.75 million) without taking a contract or two back, would put Ana about $4.5 million under the cap.  Ana is also a surprisingly old team.  They have 5 forwards 30+, their top goalie is 31 and their top 3 D are also 32+.

The Sabres also have 13 forwards under contract once Krebs is signed.  

If Ana trades Zegras, they are going to want at least one or two roster players, preferably someone who can become part of their core.  My guess is Benson is at the top of their list.  I also think they are going to want 4 pieces in total.   If we use the Eichel deal as a reference, the Sabres gave up Eichel and a 2023 3rd for Tuch (a good, but injured vet with term), Krebs (a young highly touted near ready prospect), a 2022 1st and a 2023 2nd.

Honestly, I’m having a problem making the pieces work.  Greenway is likely to be one of pieces heading the other way.  Krebs? Rosen? Kulich? Our first in 2025?  

Thoughts?

No! Just no. Trevor Zegras exemplifies everything wrong with modern hockey players.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not the kind of help Zegras provides.

Edited by Kristian

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

I doubt that a Zegras deal would be so costly. I don't think that even Anaheim would seriously believe that the Sabres would include Cozens, Peterka or Quinn in any deal. Your proposed deal would be an absolutely no deal from a Sabre perspective. The Buffalo phone should be slammed down if any of the three players were asked for. 

I understand. But I'll stand by what Anaheim would want. I try to keep in focus on the situation, Anaheim is under no pressure to move Zegras if they feel they aren't getting the deal they want.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Kristian said:

No! Just no. Trevor Zegras exemplifies everything wrong with modern hockey players.

The same types of behaviors displayed by an immature Jack Eichel before leading a different team to the Stanley Cup? 

2 hours ago, Kristian said:

Not the kind of help Zegras provides.

G-d forbid we have a high end playmaker who can also drop in 20-25 goals a season 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I understand. But I'll stand by what Anaheim would want. I try to keep in focus on the situation, Anaheim is under no pressure to move Zegras if they feel they aren't getting the deal they want.

Anaheim isn't compelled to make a deal; and neither is our GM compelled to make a deal. It's unlikely that this type of higher profile deal will be made by our cautious GM. I'm not even sure that another secondary type of deal will be made before camp starts. If Quinn wasn't able to return to health, maybe the GM would be more inclined to pursue a first or second line forward. However, that's not the case. 

• Like (+1) 1

If you have a chance to get zegras you get him. Put him on cozens line at center and move cozens to wing where cozens is more effective (look at the WC’s).

cost:

Östlund (or maybe kulich), Samuelson, Krebs and or greenway (ANA has to get to salary cap floor I believe), 2025 unprotected first. 

steep price, similar to what we got for Eichel but he’s not coming off serious neck surgery and his cost isn’t $10m/year. He also becomes Buffalo’s most talented offensive player (tage may argue). Top three lines would look outstanding:

Peterka Thompson tuch

Quinn   Zegras cozens

benson McLeod one of the newcomers 

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The same types of behaviors displayed by an immature Jack Eichel before leading a different team to the Stanley Cup? 

G-d forbid we have a high end playmaker who can also drop in 20-25 goals a season 

What would Anaheim want in return? What would our GM be willing to give up? I don't see it happening. 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Did Eichel lead that team?    I recall many veteran players that led the charge. Eichel played very well, but saying he led them to a Cup is incorrect.  

What would you give up for Zegras?   

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Did Eichel lead that team?    I recall many veteran players that led the charge. Eichel played very well, but saying he led them to a Cup is incorrect.  

What would you give up for Zegras?   

4 pieces -  Greenway, Rosen/Komarov, a lottery protected 1st in 2025 and a 2nd in 2026.

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

4 pieces -  Greenway, Rosen/Komarov, a lottery protected 1st in 2025 and a 2nd in 2026.

I think Buffalo would do this in a second, ANA would not - it’s not enough. Greenway is a replacement level cap dump, Rosen may or may not be an NHL player, komarov is exciting but who knows. Picks are reasonable 

Edited by Turbo44
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You are going to die on this hill.   

Die? No. I'm building a mansion on Jack Quinn Hill before prices go up this year. Jack Quinn will be better than Zegras. 

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

I think Buffalo would do this in a second, ANA would not - it’s not enough. Greenway is a replacement level cap dump, Rosen may or may not be an NHL player, komarov is exciting but who knows. Picks are reasonable 

Ana is going to need a roster player and a cap replacement to stay above the cap floor.  That’s where Greenway fits in.  They should get a good near ready prospect.  Rosen fits but if decline Rosen or Komarov, then Kulich, but then you need to downgrade the draft picks.

The Eichel deal is the model, but the cap player won’t be on Tuch’s level.