Sabres sign RFA Beck Malenstyn to a 2 year 1.35 AAV Deal

Brawndo

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I keep hearing two different tales.

Two people say the Zegras deal is complete but TPEGS has to yet to ok spending to the cap. One person insist that Skinner buyout was the offset for firing Granato.

Two other people insist that deal is close but say it has nothing to do with an internal budget.

All these people have proven reliable in the past. Who knows, but like LG says, until they spend to the cap, it’s hard to argue that there isn’t an internal cap.

Where are these rumors?

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/latest-news/sabres-have-serious-interest-in-ducks-star

This is the only "credible" place I've seen it, but there may be others.  This is from late June.

Oh, thought new ones popped up recently.

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

2yrs, 4.25

3yrs, 4.65

4+yrs, 5.15

My guesses give or take 500k.

2 is a major no

3 or 4 would suffice

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes you are wrong.  When the parties to a lawsuit or arbitration agree to a conclusion prior to a judge or arbiter reaching a decision it’s called a settlement.  

Eh. "Settlement" isn't quite a fit here. From a denotation standpoint, it's okay. But it's the wrong connotation.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

I find the internet chatter on Malenstyn gratifying.

There's a lot of "who?" and "a 2nd-rounder for him?" and discussions around his charts.

But whenever you come across a poster that has actually watched a lot of him play, the verdict is almost universally "fast, physical and honest, Sabres fans are going to love him."

Is he a total free agent after two years? 

8 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Is he a total free agent after two years? 

He'll be 28, so unless there is a weird clause I'm unaware of, he should be.

It's 7 years NHL experience, or 27 years year old, which ever comes first.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Skinner was 3rd on the team among forwards in 5 on 5 GF% at 55%. His lack of defense was more than made up for by his offense.

Worse yet, he was 2nd on the team on pts/60 on the power play.

Despite popular belief, we are worse without him... in the short term anyways.

How much PP productivity got killed when Skinner was unable to win a battle to keep control of the puck or made a pass that was nowhere near the target.  One of the shortcomings about analytics is you have to start getting into the really granular and subjective to be able to quantify the effects of things like that.  How much better would the rest of the PP's #'s have looked without him doing stuff like that?

Those sort of things tend to be addressed better via the eye test.

And, merely for clarification, you aren't trying to say Skinner was/is GOOD on the PP are you?   Don't believe you are, just trying to confirm.  Because there's a reason that he tends to get most all his scoring at 5v5.

• Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Taro T said:

How much PP productivity got killed when Skinner was unable to win a battle to keep control of the puck or made a pass that was nowhere near the target.  One of the shortcomings about analytics is you have to start getting into the really granular and subjective to be able to quantify the effects of things like that.  How much better would the rest of the PP's #'s have looked without him doing stuff like that?

Those sort of things tend to be addressed better via the eye test.

And, merely for clarification, you aren't trying to say Skinner was/is GOOD on the PP are you?   Don't believe you are, just trying to confirm.  Because there's a reason that he tends to get most all his scoring at 5v5.

I'm saying the stats say he produced on the PP better than everyone on the team not named Tage.

Eye test wise, he seemed to be better at the scrambly type goals than anyone else on the team. Also, I seem to recall him being pretty good at picking corners.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm saying the stats say he produced on the PP better than everyone on the team not named Tage.

Eye test wise, he seemed to be better at the scrambly type goals than anyone else on the team. Also, I seem to recall him being pretty good at picking corners.

And, again, how much of the issues with the PP were due to him being on it?  Maybe, just maybe, the PP would actually have been better with him NOT on it.  And, if memory serves, the PP did actually get better when he was off it.  (Of course, the PP was so bad, it having been better might merely have been a case of it getting luckier.)

Additionally, as he was typically the 1st player to get swapped out for the 2nd unit when the team went back to regroup after the puck got sent down to the other end of the ice once again; might it be possible that his playing less time on the PP than most anyone else on the top unit could account for an increase in his pts/60 on the PP?  (Reducing the denominator makes the overall fraction greater.)

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo is still going to enter the year with something like 7-8million in cap space. The Skinner buyout was a scam for Terry to use that money to fix the roof and scoreboard, not to improve the team. I stand by that until Adams proves it wrong. I accept that trades and UFAs are hard to come by, but too damn bad. 

Poverty franchise. We love ‘em, but we’re a poverty franchise. We’ll need to get lucky. I direct a lot of ire at Adams (and stand by it) but realistically it alllll starts at the top and being that far under the cap in our position is an absurdity for sure, as you point out. We just deserve so much more as fans, sitting where we are on the precipice of 14.

ah well. It’s summer 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Spending big money on UFA's is among the worst allocation of resources you can have. Most of them are overpaid on day 1 that they sign the contract.

Also among the worst allocations is being 8 million under the cap 

of the last 20 teams to be 5 million or more under the cap, only 1 has made the playoffs 

If we leave that much cap space unutilised, we aren’t trying to make the playoffs. We are trying to make the playoffs while saving money. Very, very different things 

- - - 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 2
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Skinner was 3rd on the team among forwards in 5 on 5 GF% at 55%. His lack of defense was more than made up for by his offense.

Worse yet, he was 2nd on the team on pts/60 on the power play.

Despite popular belief, we are worse without him... in the short term anyways.

Absolutely. Addition by subtraction from this team is a laughable proposition 

said at the time: you can buy him out but it depends what you do with it 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I just don't understand how they plan on selling fans this besides "Hey look idiots, it's Lindy!  You Buffalonians love him!".  They never make a big move/drum up interest in the team/spend money. 

Anyone remember when Russ Brandon signed TO?  People were pumped about the Bills even though they were consistently mediocre at the time.  FA signings generate interest in the team... and interest in the team leads to revenue for the owners.  Stop shooting yourselves in the foot and fill up the arena by signing someone of note

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, Ctaeth said:

I just don't understand how they plan on selling fans this besides "Hey look idiots, it's Lindy!  You Buffalonians love him!".  They never make a big move/drum up interest in the team/spend money. 

Anyone remember when Russ Brandon signed TO?  People were pumped about the Bills even though they were consistently mediocre at the time.  FA signings generate interest in the team... and interest in the team leads to revenue for the owners.  Stop shooting yourselves in the foot and fill up the arena by signing someone of note

There's no one of note to sign and Terry's mismanagement makes Buffalo unattractive from the start. 

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

And, again, how much of the issues with the PP were due to him being on it?  Maybe, just maybe, the PP would actually have been better with him NOT on it.  And, if memory serves, the PP did actually get better when he was off it.  (Of course, the PP was so bad, it having been better might merely have been a case of it getting luckier.)

Additionally, as he was typically the 1st player to get swapped out for the 2nd unit when the team went back to regroup after the puck got sent down to the other end of the ice once again; might it be possible that his playing less time on the PP than most anyone else on the top unit could account for an increase in his pts/60 on the PP?  (Reducing the denominator makes the overall fraction greater.)

First column is advanced stats. Next four columns are old fashioned stats. You can't outthink the fact that he produced better than everyone but Tage.

He'd have been a good guy to have next year... Then buy him out after that.

Screenshot_20240723-220012.thumb.png.9ab13bc2b9c96669246d9e6a973a021f.png

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There's no one of note to sign and Terry's mismanagement makes Buffalo unattractive from the start. 

They could have kept Skinner for another year.

• Like (+1) 1

As long as Beck Malenstyn is on the opening day roster I'm still more than fine with the 2nd round pick for him, he gives us the size, speed and physicality we've sorely missed. The hope is that the physical play of that 4th line also brings out the beast in Mr Jordan Greenway, that to me would be a huge bonus if we can get him going as well. 

Now here's to hoping we can use the rest of the money on a top 6 forward in a trade.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually he is the complete opposite of what they have in droves.  He is a pass first playmaker.  We have no one like him on the team. Tuch is the closest, but he is a more balanced mix of shooting and passing.  JJP, TNT, Cozens, and Quinn are all shoot first players.  Benson is an unknown, but seems to be more in the Tuch mold, just smaller and slower.

As to Beck, it’s a fair deal given his one year in the NHL.  If he can repeat with 20+ points, while hitting and playing PK, the deal will look good from a cap $ standpoint.  

So in other words Casey Mittlestadt. See where I'm going with that?

3 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I really hope Malenstyn's entire argument for filing arbitration was: "Look at the money you threw at Girgensons the last 4 seasons!" 

(4 years, $9.1M.  199 GP, 28G 22A 50P)

Probably, but he's still over paid for what he is (but not by a lot and not nearly as much as Girgs was overpaid by obviously)

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

As long as Beck Malenstyn is on the opening day roster I'm still more than fine with the 2nd round pick for him, he gives us the size, speed and physicality we've sorely missed. The hope is that the physical play of that 4th line also brings out the beast in Mr Jordan Greenway, that to me would be a huge bonus if we can get him going as well. 

Now here's to hoping we can use the rest of the money on a top 6 forward in a trade.

The question would still be why aren't we drafting these guys ourselves in 2nd and lower rounds? They aren't that hard to find.