Sabres sign RFA Beck Malenstyn to a 2 year 1.35 AAV Deal

Brawndo

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Am I wrong that settlement was a weird choice of words?

Yes you are wrong.  When the parties to a lawsuit or arbitration agree to a conclusion prior to a judge or arbiter reaching a decision it’s called a settlement.  

• Like (+1) 1

I find the internet chatter on Malenstyn gratifying.

There's a lot of "who?" and "a 2nd-rounder for him?" and discussions around his charts.

But whenever you come across a poster that has actually watched a lot of him play, the verdict is almost universally "fast, physical and honest, Sabres fans are going to love him."

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Yes you are wrong.  When the parties to a lawsuit or arbitration agree to a conclusion prior to a judge or arbiter reaching a decision it’s called a settlement.  

Ah, so it's because the arbitration had already been filed for. Makes sense.

Love the breadth of knowledge on this board.

I have a confession to make. I am responsible for Skinners departure, now here me out......

Being fully aware of the new upgrades at the arena, as well as the inflationary rise in annual yatch buffing costs, when combined with my plea to Terry for a snow cone making machine to be deployed to Deadhorse, Alaska, to help eliviate the suffering of the townsfolk there where climate alteration has spiked an upward temperature trend from 10F to 14F over the past 15 years, causing parched throats to become a serious concern.

While my heart was in the right place to try and help Terry feel some stress reduction in his consciousness, an asset had to be sacrificed. I remember Terry saying he felt better about the yatchs appearance, but it was the snowcone maker that pushed the cost to Skinners contract.

There, I don't know about ya'll, but I feel better getting this burden off Terry's mind. Hope everyone is having a great summer, and remember, if Deadhorse Alaska is on your list of places to visit this summer, be sure and stop by the Snowcone Maker Machine, I hear Coconut flavor is in abundance but don't ask for the Franks Hot Sauce flavor, the locals are rumored to be hoarding it.

And......I like this contract for Jeff's replacement, 2 yrs @ 1.4 mil allows the yatch buffing to continue.

Edited by Scottysabres
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Skinner was 3rd on the team among forwards in 5 on 5 GF% at 55%. His lack of defense was more than made up for by his offense.

Worse yet, he was 2nd on the team on pts/60 on the power play.

Despite popular belief, we are worse without him... in the short term anyways.

200.gif?cid=60e32e67c8rllf0vwaavxul48ioh

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo is still going to enter the year with something like 7-8million in cap space. The Skinner buyout was a scam for Terry to use that money to fix the roof and scoreboard, not to improve the team. I stand by that until Adams proves it wrong. I accept that trades and UFAs are hard to come by, but too damn bad. 

I keep hearing two different tales.

Two people say the Zegras deal is complete but TPEGS has to yet to ok spending to the cap. One person insist that Skinner buyout was the offset for firing Granato.

Two other people insist that deal is close but say it has nothing to do with an internal budget.

All these people have proven reliable in the past. Who knows, but like LG says, until they spend to the cap, it’s hard to argue that there isn’t an internal cap.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:
1 hour ago, mphs mike said:

Me thinks Lindy played a large role in the Skinner decision, for the reasons you outlined. 

The Sabres have been trying to get rid of Skinner for a lot longer than Lindy's been around.

Yet nothing happened until Lindy showed up.  Coincidence?  I think not.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Yet nothing happened until Lindy showed up.  Coincidence?  I think not.

Certainly not a coincidence, but it wasn't Lindy coming in and being the driving force behind that decision. Lindy or no Lindy Skinner would not have been on the Sabres this upcoming season.

10 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Interesting that both the Skinner and Diggs departures are being sold to the fans as "addition by subtraction" - both moves put more cash into Pegs' pocket for 2024.  Something is up.

Not everything has to be a thing 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I keep hearing two different tales.

Two people say the Zegras deal is complete but TPEGS has to yet to ok spending to the cap. One person insist that Skinner buyout was the offset for firing Granato.

Two other people insist that deal is close but say it has nothing to do with an internal budget.

All these people have proven reliable in the past. Who knows, but like LG says, until they spend to the cap, it’s hard to argue that there isn’t an internal cap.

Zegras is a nice player but I feel like he’s just more of what they already have in droves.  

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

Zegras is a nice player but I feel like he’s just more of what they already have in droves.  

Actually he is the complete opposite of what they have in droves.  He is a pass first playmaker.  We have no one like him on the team. Tuch is the closest, but he is a more balanced mix of shooting and passing.  JJP, TNT, Cozens, and Quinn are all shoot first players.  Benson is an unknown, but seems to be more in the Tuch mold, just smaller and slower.

As to Beck, it’s a fair deal given his one year in the NHL.  If he can repeat with 20+ points, while hitting and playing PK, the deal will look good from a cap $ standpoint.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ve shifted a bit on that one, from two directions.

First of all they’ve got nobody who can make plays like Zegras can. He’s going to set up Thompson and/or Cozens in a way the other top 6 forwards can’t, particularly on the PP.

2ndly: Jost, Mitts, Skinner and Olofsson don’t play for this team anymore and the new forwards come hard; the identity up front has changed. I wouldn’t have wanted to add him to last year’s group, but I think there’s room for him in this year’s.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I cannot say there isn't some truth to that. One of the reaons I have trouble criticizing Adams...I think the lack of spending, the 'lets wait till the young guys get better', all that stuff, is 25% Adams, 75% Pegula.

I think it is a little chicken and the egg and difficult to separate the two. I believe that Adams vision for this team also saves Terry money. I don't think Kevyn Adams believes that resources are a deterrent to his vision. 

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Interesting that both the Skinner and Diggs departures are being sold to the fans as "addition by subtraction" - both moves put more cash into Pegs' pocket for 2024.  Something is up.

I don't think Diggs has anything to do with Skinner. The Bills print money. The Sabres lose money...a lot of it. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Actually he is the complete opposite of what they have in droves.  He is a pass first playmaker.  We have no one like him on the team. Tuch is the closest, but he is a more balanced mix of shooting and passing.  JJP, TNT, Cozens, and Quinn are all shoot first players.  Benson is an unknown, but seems to be more in the Tuch mold, just smaller and slower.

As to Beck, it’s a fair deal given his one year in the NHL.  If he can repeat with 20+ points, while hitting and playing PK, the deal will look good from a cap $ standpoint.  

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve shifted a bit on that one, from two directions.

First of all they’ve got nobody who can make plays like Zegras can. He’s going to set up Thompson and/or Cozens in a way the other top 6 forwards can’t, particularly on the PP.

2ndly: Jost, Mitts, Skinner and Olofsson don’t play for this team anymore and the new forwards come hard; the identity up front has changed. I wouldn’t have wanted to add him to last year’s group, but I think there’s room for him in this year’s.

I guess since all I’ve seen from him are the lacrosse style goals, I wasn’t aware he was a pass first player.  I may be on board with this depending on the price. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jack Quinn is not a shoot first player. He's balanced player in the vein of tuch who happens to have a good shot. Tons of playmaking from Quinn and Benson is 100% able to be a playmaker. Dude has more ideas than he gets puck touches. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mango said:

I don't think Diggs has anything to do with Skinner. The Bills print money. The Sabres lose money...a lot of it. 

They're both moved at least in part due to lockerroom stuff.  So there is at least that connection.

13 minutes ago, shrader said:

They're both moved at least in part due to lockerroom stuff.  So there is at least that connection.

What "lockerroom stuff" was Skinner accused or thought negatively of?  I know there is some thought that in the eyes of coaching his defensive play might be lacking, but he seemed to be very well liked in the 'lockeroom' to me?

37 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

What "lockerroom stuff" was Skinner accused or thought negatively of?  I know there is some thought that in the eyes of coaching his defensive play might be lacking, but he seemed to be very well liked in the 'lockeroom' to me?

Those questions of fit fall under locker room in my book. 

Skinner simply does not fit Lindy's vision for this team and he makes too much money for what he brings.  That is why he is gone.  If DG was still here I think he would have been ok with keeping Skinner.  

I think Pegula is listening to both Adams and Lindy right now.   The Zegras rumors show there may be intent to spend to cap, but they won't force it either.  

I think the Malenstyn contract was fine, and now he comes in happy and ready to prove himself. 

Lets get working on UPL next.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 4