Sabres sign RFA Beck Malenstyn to a 2 year 1.35 AAV Deal

Brawndo

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo is still going to enter the year with something like 7-8million in cap space. The Skinner buyout was a scam for Terry to use that money to fix the roof and scoreboard, not to improve the team. I stand by that until Adams proves it wrong. I accept that trades and UFAs are hard to come by, but too damn bad. 

Spending big money on UFA's is among the worst allocation of resources you can have. Most of them are overpaid on day 1 that they sign the contract.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Spending big money on UFA's is among the worst allocation of resources you can have. Most of them are overpaid on day 1 that they sign the contract.

Tarasenko or Henrique are 2 year deals Buffalo could have easily afforded. You are worried about overpayment, after this year and next year, all the savings from Skinner's contract is simply gone. Not using it is the worst allocation of resources because it makes the move to buyout skinner this year foolish. I toss out Anthony Mantha and his 1 year deal as well. Not all UFA deals are 5-7 years and 6-9million. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Elliotte called it a settlement?

Does that mean he's not sure if it was the result of a hearing, or a negotiation?

"Settlement" necessarily implies that the parties came to a deal before the matter was decided by an arbitrator. If it were the result of an arbitration, it'd have been an award. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Buffalo is still going to enter the year with something like 7-8million in cap space. The Skinner buyout was a scam for Terry to use that money to fix the roof and scoreboard, not to improve the team. I stand by that until Adams proves it wrong. I accept that trades and UFAs are hard to come by, but too damn bad. 

I'm not quite this cynical.  I think it is possible, even likely at this point, that the Skinner buyout was about the combination of saving the owner money and re-setting or changing the make-up of the roster.  Maybe we are saying the same thing with different levels of diplomacy. 

Until proven otherwise, I agree with the basic point:  we have an internal cap of around 90-91% of the cap ceiling.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I still have a little hope that he hopes something shakes loose as we get close to the season.

If we end up with 7mil cap going into the season, I'll be disappointed yet simultaneously curious as what was originally planned. Remember, Skinner's buyout saved us 7.5mil on the cap but his cap hit was 9mil.  

With UPL at 5mil and Krebs matching Malenstyn we'd have just shy of 7mil cap space. I have Reimer as the back up and Gilbert as the 3 bench man

Had we kept Skinner and sent Gilbert down we'd be at about 220k cap space.

So based on that, I think its likely that there was or is another intended use for the money. 

If it truly was merely to save the Pegulas cash; that is greatly concerning 

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Negotiation 

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

"Settlement" necessarily implies that the parties came to a deal before the matter was decided by an arbitrator. If it were the result of an arbitration, it'd have been an award. 

Thanks.

Am I wrong that settlement was a weird choice of words?

I'm used to signed, or agreed or some other more active/positive term.

More importantly, can Malenstyn be a better player than Girgensons was last year at half the price?

27 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

There is also the matter of having to pay two head coaches salaries, I would not be surprised if that heavily factors into Terry’s decision making.

The internal cap and EEE are alive and well 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, thewookie1 said:

I still have a little hope that he hopes something shakes loose as we get close to the season.

If we end up with 7mil cap going into the season, I'll be disappointed yet simultaneously curious as what was originally planned. Remember, Skinner's buyout saved us 7.5mil on the cap but his cap hit was 9mil.  

With UPL at 5mil and Krebs matching Malenstyn we'd have just shy of 7mil cap space. I have Reimer as the back up and Gilbert as the 3 bench man

Had we kept Skinner and sent Gilbert down we'd be at about 220k cap space.

So based on that, I think its likely that there was or is another intended use for the money. 

If it truly was merely to save the Pegulas cash; that is greatly concerning 

Had we kept Skinner we would not have signed Zucker.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It was a bit of a wonky choice. Usually you just see it reported as coming to an agreement. "Settlement" is generally used for litigated cases where adverse parties are engaged in more of a zero sum dispute -- "I owe you nothing!" "You owe me $2M!"

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

There is also the matter of having to pay two head coaches salaries, I would not be surprised if that heavily factors into Terry’s decision making.

The internal cap and EEE are alive and well 

I need a refresher on some lore. What's EEE?

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Thanks.

More importantly, can Malenstyn be a better player than Girgensons was last year at half the price?

It’s interesting that the league didn’t announce the dates this year. They used to allow them to sign a deal after the hearing had already happened but prior to the decision being made. It looks like that is gone now. Those would be the cases where I’d use the word settled. 

But yeah, it really is just all semantics. 

Presently the team salary is approximately 84mil with my previous UPL and Krebs contracts added in.

Interestingly only Dahlin's salary differs from his Cap Hit  11mil Cap but 13mil Salary

Technically Skinner is making 2.444mil instead of what was going to be 10mil salary

• dislike 1

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Hear me out here.  Maybe just getting Jeff off the roster was the benefit.  Declining production, allergic to defense, not real good at anything other than finishing plays that someone else does all the work for.   

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

Hear me out here.  Maybe just getting Jeff off the roster was the benefit.  Declining production, allergic to defense, not real good at anything other than finishing plays that someone else does all the work for.   

That would be my guess; not that the monetary benefits aren't helpful too.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I cannot say there isn't some truth to that. One of the reaons I have trouble criticizing Adams...I think the lack of spending, the 'lets wait till the young guys get better', all that stuff, is 25% Adams, 75% Pegula.

27 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It was a bit of a wonky choice. Usually you just see it reported as coming to an agreement. "Settlement" is generally used for litigated cases where adverse parties are engaged in more of a zero sum dispute -- "I owe you nothing!" "You owe me $2M!"

I need a refresher on some lore. What's EEE?

Economic, efficient and effective.

Terry used this on the day Botterill was fired and replaced by Adams 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Me thinks Lindy played a large role in the Skinner decision, for the reasons you outlined. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I agree, addition by subtraction. And I would rather see Benson and Quinn have clear paths to take big leaps this year then have a 5M AAV player who maybe has seen his better days take that spot.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I agree, addition by subtraction. And I would rather see Benson and Quinn has clear paths to take big leaps this year then have a 5M AAV player who maybe has seen his better days take that spot.

Skinner was 3rd on the team among forwards in 5 on 5 GF% at 55%. His lack of defense was more than made up for by his offense.

Worse yet, he was 2nd on the team on pts/60 on the power play.

Despite popular belief, we are worse without him... in the short term anyways.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2