Sabres the 2nd most liked team in the NHL

gilbert11

16 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

If the Sabres make the playoffs and get on a run, they will become almost everyone’s 2nd favourite team for a year. 

If we achieve any kind of lasting success we move to the other side of list. That’s how these things work. You want to be hated 

10 hours ago, SwampD said:

Doesn’t that actually mean that they are the second “least hated”?

I can see that. People usually hate teams that beat their team all the time.

Either that, or it’s gotta be pity.

Right 

2 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

But the Avs being #1 and the hawks being near the bottom really shoots that theory down?

Colorado is an interesting one, their logo and branding has always been really popular esspecially among people my age..they are a team of the Millenials in a sense, and twitter discourse is often dominated by that demo 

Hawks were dynastic and have all the off ice stuff, that one is obvious 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

The question wasn't who is your FAVORITE team, as posited in the OP it was who is your SECOND favorite team.  (And, it really is most likely a reflection of which team do you dislike the least.)

But how many people buy merchandise for their SECOND favorite team?  Merchandise sales would be a reflection of who fans' #1 team is, wouldn't it be?

(YOU might have Bruin and Sabre gear, but personally doubt many others here have a whole bunch of merch for teams other than the Sabres.  And expect that trend would be similar across the league and across sports.)

idk, I guess, but that's a weird way of looking at it. My second fave thing might be unusual as it does come from childhood but the idea that you only like 1 team and then everything else is about least hated just seems weird to me. 

I watch a lot of hockey so every year I "like" about half the league. I generally just "like" teams that play the way I think the game should be played and if I am watching them I want them to win unless they are playing Buffalo or Boston. When Buffalo plays Boston my preferred outcome is Buffalo winning in OT (unless Buffalo is already out of it as it has been some years) but generally Buffalo needs the points more and they are choice 1. Now I'm obviously not very invested in those other teams and the ones I hate I hate all the time (Toronto, Montreal, Edmonton). Pittsburgh was in that group but I no longer care as they are done. 

So I guess if I had to look at it as least disliked I guess it would be Utah. But if I start to like them this year then do they fall off the list and my new least disliked is the one I care least about? That just seems weird. 

This must have been the second question after "Do you think Dunleavy is doing a good job as PBP?" Those people are definitely drinking the Kool-Aid

Or they asked the Sabres' friends and families

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

If the question would have been which franchise is the most irrelevant franchise in the league, it would be in the running for the top spot. Generational futility is an absurdity especially when the system is designed to give advantages (draft and waiver pickups) to the worst teams to prop them up. Yet, the Sabres are still stuck in the muck of mediocrity. It's ridiculous and shameful. 

But I really think it is over now….. Either the Sabres are going to be part of massive trade that lands the Sabres another first liner who can lead and push us to the top or our kids simply take over and we become a deep, relentless team.

Right now we have: a legit first line. A legit second line if Benson can answer the call. A legit third line. A legit fourth line. The top six will return to form because they will be able to concentrate on offense taking much more offensive F/Os and much less defensive F/Os. Plus they be concentrating on the PP and the PK. This will give them way more energy for offense plus the back six will support them in many ways and they never had that before.

The defense is another year older, Dahlin could become a superstar this year while both Power and Byram could bloom. Sammy might stay healthy and our depth is way better than ever before.

This is also the first year the goaltending looks extremely bright. It also looks very deep.

We have a HOF HC for the first time since LR left.

I don’t know why fans cannot see all of this. The writing is on the wall. All we need is health and a little luck and we are in the playoffs this year.

And we are locked and loaded and just waiting to pull off a huge deal. Just waiting for it to become available. I think it happens, maybe as early as this summer. Certainly by next year around this time.

Health and a pinch of luck, that’s it…. I think Benson stands a good chance of raising his game considerably because A) we have a lot of talent all over this team not only to help him but also take away any teams thought of taking him out. B) He has really good linemates to work with. This is also just huge. And I think two big goal scorers like Cozens and Quinn are the perfect compliments to his game. All three will absolutely buy into LR’s game plan and play two-way hockey.

Again, getting two brand new bottom lines is exactly what we needed. Much needed grit to bond this team together is also huge. The D-man and the goalie are going to have their moments as well…And all the new players are going to rub off on our new team along with their new coach.

Can’t you see it???

2 minutes ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

But I really think it is over now….. Either the Sabres are going to be part of massive trade that lands the Sabres another first liner who can lead and push us to the top or our kids simply take over and we become a deep, relentless team.

Right now we have: a legit first line. A legit second line if Benson can answer the call. A legit third line. A legit fourth line. The top six will return to form because they will be able to concentrate on offense taking much more offensive F/Os and much less defensive F/Os. Plus they be concentrating on the PP and the PK. This will give them way more energy for offense plus the back six will support them in many ways and they never had that before.

The defense is another year older, Dahlin could become a superstar this year while both Power and Byram could bloom. Sammy might stay healthy and our depth is way better than ever before.

This is also the first year the goaltending looks extremely bright. It also looks very deep.

I don’t know why fans cannot see all of this. The writing is on the wall. All we need is health and a little luck and we are in the playoffs this year.

And we are locked and loaded and just waiting to pull off a huge deal. Just waiting for it to become available. I think it happens, maybe as early as this summer. Certainly by next year around this time.

Health and a pinch of luck, that’s it…. I think Benson stands a good chance of raising his game considerably because A) we have a lot of talent all over this team not only to help him but also take away any teams thought of taking him out. B) He has really good linemates to work with. This is also just huge. And I think two big goal scorers like Cozens and Quinn are the perfect compliments to his game. All three will absolutely buy into LR’s game plan and play two-way hockey.

Again, getting two brand new bottom lines is exactly what we needed. Much needed grit to bond this team together is also huge. The D-man and the goalie are going to have their moments as well…And all the new players are going to rub off on our new team along with their new coach.

Can’t you see it???

No, I don't. I see this team at best as being a bottom qualifying playoff team. That's what I'm shooting for. When evaluating your team you can't do it in a vacuum. You have to compare your team to the better teams in the league. We are not there. I can appreciate your enthusiasm but I rather reside in the world of realism. Have the Sabres gotten better. Absolutely. So what! You don't think other teams have made moves to get better? As far as expecting a blockbuster deal being made this offseason, I doubt it. Next year? I'm not worried about next year because my focus is on this year. 

1 hour ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

Can’t you see it???

Right now, this is still a question mark. Last year, Tuch produced like a slightly below average 3rd forward, Tage produced like a low end 3rd forward, and Peterka produced like an average 4th forward. Is that really a legit first line? If Peterka continues his upward trend, and Tage and Tuch return to their 2022-2023 form, then the Sabres would have a legit first line, but right now, that’s pretty up in the air. The second line requires a healthy Quinn, which we may or may not see, and Benson to take a big step, which I’m optimistic about, but there’s too many sophmore slumps in this league to count on it. The 3rd and 4th lines should be solid, but that’s not as important as the top 6 being good. The Goaltending is also still somewhat worrying, UPL only has 5 months of good play, and goalies are fickle beings, often good one season, garbage the next. 

There’s some reason to be hopeful this season, but there’s a lot that needs to go right for us to make the playoffs. 

Ranking this high is of three things:

1) It's 98% pity. Awww, the Sabres won a game, even against my favorite team? Good for them. 

2) Two seasons ago they were fun to watch. If you went to you home team's game and the Sabres were in town, you'd at least be entertained by an all-out press attack and an attempt to score 7. (Colorado is also very fun to watch the last few seasons.)

3) They don't have any rats/goons on their team since... JBott took over? They don't have individual players to dislike. (Colorado also fits this -- their Cup win was such a fast buzzsaw blur they didn't even get the chance to be called punks about it.)

On 7/16/2024 at 10:36 PM, Pimlach said:

Which team would you root for in a head to head match up?   That was the question?  

I can't think of a response.

That explains it; many people root for the underdog.  Small city with a reputation of heartbreak in big games. 

45 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

3) They don't have any rats/goons on their team since... JBott took over? They don't have individual players to dislike. (Colorado also fits this -- their Cup win was such a fast buzzsaw blur they didn't even get the chance to be called punks about it.)

This resonates with me.

58 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If the Sabres are truly high on the list of "second favorite teams" then it must be their nice Uni's.  

Another thing that Knox and Co got right.  

Well, they might have but a whole slew of people decided to ***** it all up with the slug, turdburger and goathead.   

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

If the Sabres are truly high on the list of "second favorite teams" then it must be their nice Uni's.  

Another thing that Knox and Co got right.  

That's not it. I posted the jersey sales stats. They are not that popular. They are I guess, as suggested by some, less disliked more than actually liked.