Expectations for Zach Benson Year 2

I think some people are down on Benson. That's why they talk about sophomore slumps and project him to have less assists or just barely more goals than last year. I think it will be fun when those ppl are wrong. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Using the 7 recent players I mentioned in the OP, there is good reason to believe that he might not produce more points in year 2.

Kotkaniemi and Sillinger regressed in year 2.  Kakko and Pastrnak were flat in year 2. Barkov increase slightly from 24/54 (.44 pt/gm) to 36/71 (.5 pt/gm).  Only Hughes (50% increase) and Stutzle (100% increase) jumped significantly.    

Obviously 7 comparables is a relatively small sample size, but it’s still illustrative of the 4 possible outcomes (Regression, flat, modest increase, large increase).  I believe Benson falls into category 3 - modest increase.  I’m placing Zack here to start because of a suspected 3rd line role to start the season.   My current prediction is 15g 25a for 40 pts or a 33% increase. 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I have letters after my name and am a numbers guy.  

There is a pattern in there, but I have not figured it out yet.

+ & = are your friends, Numbers-Guy.  😉 

• Thanks (+1) 1

It's really interesting to see how the prospect-watchers outside the Buffalo bubble are reacting to Benson's rookie season.

Any excitement about him playing a full NHL season at 18 seems to be getting swallowed up by "only 30 points" and "only because he plays for Buffalo"

You can find plenty of prospect watchers touting guys who didn't play in the NHL last year over Benson: guys like Leonard, Danielson and Gabe Perreault.

Even a Benson-booster like Scott Wheeler has dropped him down his prospect list.

I'd expect to see a lot of "30 points at 18? Imagine how good he will be next year". Instead, there seems to be a "expect more of the same" vibe, or even a streak of "I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a step back."

Really intriguing season coming for him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It's really interesting to see how the prospect-watchers outside the Buffalo bubble are reacting to Benson's rookie season.

Any excitement about him playing a full NHL season at 18 seems to be getting swallowed up by "only 30 points" and "only because he plays for Buffalo"

You can find plenty of prospect watchers touting guys who didn't play in the NHL last year over Benson: guys like Leonard, Danielson and Gabe Perreault.

Even a Benson-booster like Scott Wheeler has dropped him down his prospect list.

I'd expect to see a lot of "30 points at 18? Imagine how good he will be next year". Instead, there seems to be a "expect more of the same" vibe, or even a streak of "I wouldn't be surprised if he takes a step back."

Benson produced almost the same scoring rate as Connor Bedard at 5v5. A lot of ppl are going to be surprised by him this season. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I'm not sure why Wheeler has even included Benson on his list as he is clearly "established as a full-time NHLer".  That error aside, each year Wheeler seems to place  weight on the strengths of the most recent class over that of prior draft classes.  Last year Benson was 12th on the list and was one of twelve picks from 2023 in the top 20.  This year he has fallen to 20th on the list and there are ten picks from the 2024 draft class in the top 20.  Perreault is the only 2023 pick who vaulted ahead of Benson, which is odd to be sure.  Wheeler's actual write up on Benson is glowing with praise.

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Interestingly, Benson is currently in Buffalo. Wonder if he is back for a short trip or what. 

If the Sabres are finally worth me spending money this year, I might start with one of those hoodies. That’s a pretty good looking sweatshirt.

• Like (+1) 1