Expectations for Zach Benson Year 2

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Love you, Inky.

I assume it is just one of those quirky things that your post followed within seconds of mine, eh.

You weren’t the most egregious but if Benson is a 60 point player next season, this team should be real good. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

You weren’t the most egregious but if Benson is a 60 point player next season, this team should be real good. 

60 is probably a bit much, but 50 is very realistic.

I do think the Sabres will be much better next season.  I new re-tread coach who is still good at it and will turn them into a tighter more disiplined team.  Solid GT from 6K and a year older kids will all help the Sabres to the 7th seed in the Prince of Wales Conference.

• Like (+1) 1

Benson will have to score more to keep his minutes. He averaged around 14 minutes per game, I see that decreasing as Lindy uses other pieces in his top lines. Benson went through long scoreless stretches last year, the Sabres can’t afford that this year. While Granato liked Benson’s hustle, we now have some age and muscle. I did not see the merit in playing an 18 year old on the youngest team in the nhl. While he did well for a 18 year old, he didn’t really move the meter for the team. The Sabres need scoring, if Kulich and Rousek bring it, Benson can watch from upstairs. 

3 minutes ago, Cranky old man said:

Benson will have to score more to keep his minutes. He averaged around 14 minutes per game, I see that decreasing as Lindy uses other pieces in his top lines. Benson went through long scoreless stretches last year, the Sabres can’t afford that this year. While Granato liked Benson’s hustle, we now have some age and muscle. I did not see the merit in playing an 18 year old on the youngest team in the nhl. While he did well for a 18 year old, he didn’t really move the meter for the team. The Sabres need scoring, if Kulich and Rousek bring it, Benson can watch from upstairs. 

Benson is better than Kulich and Rosen. 

Y'all need to realize Benson should have been a top 5 pick. The NHL just went full stupid that draft. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Cranky old man said:

I think lindy will love Benson 🙂

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Playing 2nd line PP2 - 20g 24a 44p: if substantial PP1 25g 29a 54p

3rd line minutes PP2 - 16g 19a - 35p

I agree with what Inkman said if he is above 55p and the team stays healthy, we should have a playoff team. 

Edited by R_Dudley

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Y'all need to realize Benson should have been a top 5 pick. The NHL just went full stupid that draft. 

Pretty much this, his hang up was he’s small. He effectively is Cole Caufield all over again in regards to being a Top 5 player falling due to size. Benson needs to work on his skating speed but brings a full 200ft game which is incredibly rare for an 18 year old to personally value that kind of play like he does.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I had 17 ranking on my board, only Button and Pronman had Benson outside the top 10.  His average ranking was 7.65 which was the 6th best average, but only 4 of the 17 had Benson in the top5.  8 of the 17 had him in the top 6

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/12/2024 at 1:44 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

According to Quanthockey.com Benson's 18 year old season was tied for the 58th best season by an 18 year old in NHL history.  His 30 points were tied with Doug Smith and decent Andrew McBain.  Immortals Gretzky, Hawerchuk and Crosby each had over 100 pts as 18 year old NHLers.  Housley is 9th with 66 pts.  Skinner has 63 pts at 18 (12th overall) and that is pretty much who he ended up being.  Our friend Tim Connolly had 34 pts at 18.

Here are some recent comparables.

1) Kotkaniemi - 34 pts at 18 years old.  He struggled in year 2 and got send down.  The last 3 seasons have been 29, 43 & 27 pts for the former 3rd overall pick (2018)

2) Cole Sillinger - 31 pts at 18 years old.  Like Kotkaniemi, he struggled some in year 2 and got sent down.  He has 11 pts in year 2 (64  games), but rebounded last year with 32.  He was drafted 12 overall in 2021

3) Tim Stutzle - 29 points at 18.  Has really only blossomed since being drafted 3 overall in 2020.  Pts per season since 58, 90 and 70 last year.  

4) Pastrnak - 27 pts at 18.  Former 25th overall pick in 2014 is one of the best goal scorers and players in the NHL.  Career pts by season since 26, 70, 80, 81, 95, 48 (48 games), 77, 113, 110 last season.

5) Barkov - 24 pts (54 games) at 18.  Maybe the NHL best 2 way forward.  Pts per season since 36, 59, 52, 78, 96, 62 (66 gms), 58 (50 gms), 88, 78, and 80 

6) Kakko - 23 pts (66 games) at 18.  40 pts in 22/23 and 24 pts last season (61 games).

7) Jack Hughes - 21 pts (61 games) at 18. Since then 31 (56 gms), 56 (49 gms), 99 and 74 (62 gms).

So what can we expect in year two?

I personally believe his counting stats will improve somewhat.  I'd like to see him get to 15g and 25a next year.  However, I also wouldn't be surprised if he struggles some in year 2.  I think he is probably better than Kotkaniemi, Sillinger and Kakko, but does he have the same upside as Hughes, Barkov or Stutzle?  Probably not.  

This is instructive. I’m not suggesting Benson will not become very good player. He has a lot a tools. But historically, and statistically speaking, it is unlikely he will double his point production. Further, the addition of Jason Zucker at $5M per annum places him in the top six, at least for a while. They want his “mantality” to help those younger players get their minds right for 82 plus games. Benson can’t do that, he doesn’t know how yet. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I’ll be sure to let everyone know the next time I can use fun and Sabres in the same sentence. 

No no, all the people projecting Benson to be either the same or in some cases worse in terms of points. That is what I think will be fun. 

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No no, all the people projecting Benson to be either the same or in some cases worse in terms of points. That is what I think will be fun. 

So far in this thread, 16 fans have posted their actual prediction for Benson's point total in 24-25.

- Zero have predicted he will do worse production-wise

- One predicts the same point total, but an increase in goals

- 14 predict an increase in his production, the average of which comes in at 45 points.  That's pretty much where you are.

- My prediction would be similar to yours, 15-20 goals, 25-30 assists, 45-50 points.

- Nobody is down on Benson or predicting a significant regression from last year.

• Like (+1) 1