ESPN Way-too-Early Power Ranking Poll

HILLsabre

38 minutes ago, French Collection said:

That’s OK, let the team be under the radar. The players don’t need any extra pressure, I’m sure they expect to take a step forward.

Lots of room on the bandwagon for all of the ‘experts’.

What would you predict if you had to put it in writing in a national publication? 

On 7/10/2024 at 10:21 AM, JoeSchmoe said:

Our 4th line is better this year, and that might be about it. Mitts at 3C hasn't been replaced with McLeod, nor has Skinner been replaced with Zucker.

We're basically praying that our remaining top 5 stay completely healthy and go back to their 22-23 form (without Skinner's help), Benson takes a major step forward, and/or Kulich is able to be an effective 3rd line or better NHL player. That's too much to come together at once. 

We're worse this year.

Obviously the team must get more production from Tage, Tuch, Quinn (stay healthy), and Cozens.  Benson and JJP hopefully take another step.   If this happens Dahlin will rack up more apples.   Lets not forget improvements from Power, Byram, and Muel. 

Agree that McLeod is not Mitts, but he mostly has to add defense and faceoffs, if can score 14 to 18 goals that is extra gravy.  Zucker may not score 30+ like Skinner can, but if he gets close to 20, and is a better all around player than Skinner, then that its a plus.  

A big key is that they must get more great play out of UPL and hope that the backup (Levi and/or Reimer) is also steady and reliable.  

We will be harder to play against with the 4rd lines combination of speed and grit, plus guys like Gilbert and Clifton and Greenway.  We finally have some players that will keep the other teams honest.  

Then add the Lindy factor.  He has to fix the PP, and the PK should be good.   It is possible that things come together and we make a WC slot.  There is still time to add a top 6 forward as well. 

I am looking forward and fairly optimistic despite all of the "ifs".   

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

As if you needed more evidence of Sabres irrelevance, check out this way-to-early file from the Athletic.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5628252/2024/07/11/nhl-picks-2025-stanley-cup-playoffs-awards/

Predictions about just everything under the sun — team and individual, bad and good — and not a Sabre to be found.

The only place the franchise shows up at all is in the predicted eastern conference standings list: an utterly mediocre 12th.

Deservedly so.

10 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Obviously the team must get more production from Tage, Tuch, Quinn (stay healthy), and Cozens.  Benson and JJP hopefully take another step.   If this happens Dahlin will rack up more apples.   Lets not forget improvements from Power, Byram, and Muel. 

Agree that McLeod is not Mitts, but he mostly has to add defense and faceoffs, if can score 14 to 18 goals that is extra gravy.  Zucker may not score 30+ like Skinner can, but if he gets close to 20, and is a better all around player than Skinner, then that its a plus.  

A big key is that they must get more great play out of UPL and hope that the backup (Levi and/or Reimer) is also steady and reliable.  

We will be harder to play against with the 4rd lines combination of speed and grit, plus guys like Gilbert and Clifton and Greenway.  We finally have some players that will keep the other teams honest.  

Then add the Lindy factor.  He has to fix the PP, and the PK should be good.   It is possible that things come together and we make a WC slot.  There is still time to add a top 6 forward as well. 

I am looking forward and fairly optimistic despite all of the "ifs".   

It’s nice to be able to go into the season fully confident in goaltending. Ok maybe not fully confident but I’m comfortable with its standing for the first time in Adams’ tenure

this is a big factor on the positive side re: making the dance 

• Agree 1

I see the Sabres next year in one of the two wildcard spots. 

Tons of people were upset when Adams traded Mittlestadt but they didn't fall apart without him. They finished the season 10-10 and that was with Skinner falling off in the second half of the season, an unhealthy Tage for basically the entire season and general regression from most of the teams besides Peterka and Luukkonen. 

If Don Granato managed to get this team to 42 and 39 wins the past two years despite questionable decisions and strategies, I don't see how Ruff can't manage to get this team to 45 wins. I wasnt happy at all when they hired Ruff again, but even I can confidently say that he's a better coach than Granato. 

They shored up the bottom six which should take pressure of the top two lines and Luukkonen. If Luukkonen manages to duplicate what he did last year and some of the big guns (Thompson, Tuch) get closer to where they where two years ago, I think they're at least a fringe playoff team. 

Final prediction:

45 wins and 7th in the conference 

• Like (+1) 3

On 7/11/2024 at 1:56 PM, Thorny said:

What would you predict if you had to put it in writing in a national publication? 

It’s wide open imo. 
I see the same top six in the east and then multiple teams capable of snagging 7-8.

My prediction would not sell many papers ( I know that is no longer a thing).

On 7/11/2024 at 11:18 AM, Thorny said:

It’s nice to be able to go into the season fully confident in goaltending. Ok maybe not fully confident but I’m comfortable with its standing for the first time in Adams’ tenure

this is a big factor on the positive side re: making the dance 

Yes, but no. 

Yes, the most confidant in Adams tenure but that's a really low bar. They are young. Levi's really young. They are not proven. Young goalies are often up and down for years before it all clicks in. I hope they are good, and I hope Ruff has a better defensive system that will make their jobs easier and make them look even better but there's far too many unknowns to be "confidant".