Tyler Tullio: the other guy in the Savoie trade

dudacek

Interesting kid. His dad owned his junior team and his career has been about trying to prove things haven't been handed to him.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2419898/2021/03/05/edmonton-oilers-prospect-tullio-path/?source=user_shared_article

On the ice he probably slides into the longshot with a shot category: he ranked 10th on the Oilers prospect list in an Athletic article from last week.

Small and feisty: the reports say he gets to the net, works hard and pays attention to detail on both ends. Sounds like his best comp in the Buffalo org right now might be Kozak, except as a winger? Maybe not as tough, but a little more talented?

He scored 42 in 65 in his last year in junior.

He's  a depth prospect for sure, but is a guy wit a game you could project playing in a bottom six and he might be more than the contract dump I originally perceived him to be.

He's probably going to make the more touted guys in Rochester work for their ice time.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

One nice thing about the acquisition is that we didn’t have any Sabres prospects in the age 21-23 range last year.  Tullio turned 22 in April.  

Kulich, Rosen, Neuchev, Kozak and Kisakov were all 18-20. (Wahlberg, Östlund, Nadeau and Savoie as well).

Murray, Weissbach, Rousek, and Biro were all 24-25.  With Biro and Weissbach gone, there is a real opportunity for the kid to earn some ice time.

At 22, he has 2 years of AHL experience and a decent amount of production (57 points in 117 games), he could be in line for 3rd line duty and maybe higher in the lineup when injuries or other issues occur.  The biggest hurdle he faces is the talent depth in Rochester that will be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Rosen (50 pts/ 67 games) Kulich (45/57) Neuchev (28/57)and Östlund will be in Rochester’s top 6 in the fall.  If Wahlberg and Helenius also come over, that’s a deep group of talent to overcome for a top 6 role.  Kisakov (13/32) will be in the mix as well.  Amerks leading scorer Jobst (50/64) and frequent callup Rousek (41/50) are also under contract as is AHL stalwart Murray (32/54)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The Amerks are deep is prospects.  I see a Sabres property only line-up being like this:

V. Neuchev(LF)(79)    - K. Helenius(RC)        - M. Jobst(C)
B. Murray(LW)             - J. Kulich(LF)              - A. Kisakov(LF)(52)
A. Wahlberg(LW/LC)   - N. Östlund(LC)          - I. Rosén(LF)(18)  
<AHL VET>                   - T. Kozak(LC)(44)     - T. Tullio(RF)
-

ECHL Bound?
                                      - J. Dunne(LC)           - O. Nadeau(RRW)(20)

Jobst can play the wing and provide some veteran leadership and speed on the first line. 

I don't want to move Kulich off from centre.

I like the idea of an all Swedish line.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

One nice thing about the acquisition is that we didn’t have any Sabres prospects in the age 21-23 range last year.  Tullio turned 22 in April.  

Kulich, Rosen, Neuchev, Kozak and Kisakov were all 18-20. (Wahlberg, Östlund, Nadeau and Savoie as well).

Murray, Weissbach, Rousek, and Biro were all 24-25.  With Biro and Weissbach gone, there is a real opportunity for the kid to earn some ice time.

At 22, he has 2 years of AHL experience and a decent amount of production (57 points in 117 games), he could be in line for 3rd line duty and maybe higher in the lineup when injuries or other issues occur.  The biggest hurdle he faces is the talent depth in Rochester that will be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Rosen (50 pts/ 67 games) Kulich (45/57) Neuchev (28/57)and Östlund will be in Rochester’s top 6 in the fall.  If Wahlberg and Helenius also come over, that’s a deep group of talent to overcome for a top 6 role.  Kisakov (13/32) will be in the mix as well.  Amerks leading scorer Jobst (50/64) and frequent callup Rousek (41/50) are also under contract as is AHL stalwart Murray (32/54)

Good write-up. Wahlberg is already here just a note. He's slated to play in Rochester this season. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Good write-up. Wahlberg is already here just a note. He's slated to play in Rochester this season. 

I knew Wahlberg was here for the playoffs, but I didn't know if he was staying for next season.

Helenius will be interesting.  I think they should bring him over as well, but Rochester already has a pretty full compliment of forwards.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Interesting kid. His dad owned his junior team and his career has been about trying to prove things haven't been handed to him.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/2419898/2021/03/05/edmonton-oilers-prospect-tullio-path/?source=user_shared_article

On the ice he probably slides into the longshot with a shot category: he ranked 10th on the Oilers prospect list in an Athletic article from last week.

Small and feisty: the reports say he gets to the net, works hard and pays attention to detail on both ends. Sounds like his best comp in the Buffalo org right now might be Kozak, except as a winger? Maybe not as tough, but a little more talented?

He scored 42 in 65 in his last year in junior.

He's  a depth prospect for sure, but is a guy wit a game you could project playing in a bottom six and he might be more than the contract dump I originally perceived him to be.

He's probably going to make the more touted guys in Rochester work for their ice time.

For some context, he is headed into D+5.  The 3 players we brought in to play on our 4th this season (Malenstyn, Lafferty and Aube-Kubel), reached the NHL as regulars in D+7. Obviously that doesn't mean Tullio is on the same path, but perhaps he is a future bottom 6 or 4th line player for us.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

For some context, he is headed into D+5.  The 3 players we brought in to play on our 4th this season (Malenstyn, Lafferty and Aube-Kubel), reached the NHL as regulars in D+7. Obviously that doesn't mean Tullio is on the same path, but perhaps he is a future bottom 6 or 4th line player for us.

It will be interesting to see where his career arc goes. I was travelling yesterday and heard it speculated (can't remember where, sorry) that he may end up being "an AHL lifer". Just one person's opinion so take it with a grain of salt. As with all of these prospects, time will tell.