Sabres Sign Helenius to His ELC

Brawndo

Question is does Tappara want him or will they loan him to Rochester? I'd like him in NA sooner rather than later but if Wahlberg and Kulich are going to be Rochester's top 2 centers, and Tappara is going to let him be a top 2 center in Liiga, then Finland could be the best place. The good news is we are talking about him playing in a men's league regardless (would be his 3rd year in Liiga).

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Question is does Tappara want him or will they loan him to Rochester? I'd like him in NA sooner rather than later but if Wahlberg and Kulich are going to be Rochester's top 2 centers, and Tappara is going to let him be a top 2 center in Liiga, then Finland could be the best place. The good news is we are talking about him playing in a men's league regardless (would be his 3rd year in Liiga).

I think Wahlberg plays the wing with Östlund.

And who knows if Kulich or Wahlberg will still be Sabres if they pull the trigger for a top 6 forward.

But if no prospects are moved he probably gets more ice time in Finland. Jokinen has moved on as coach though so I wonder if that gives the Sabres pause.

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

And who knows if Kulich or Wahlberg will still be Sabres if they pull the trigger for a top 6 forward.

But if no prospects are moved he probably gets more ice time in Finland. Jokinen has moved on as coach though so I wonder if that gives the Sabres pause.

Oh god and then there is Östlund who is a center. Man, is this team prospect rich at forward. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think they have every intention of playing him in Rochester.

Physically, he’s ready, development-wise he needs to get used to the smaller ice surface.

Roster-wise, he slides into the spot vacated by Savoie.

With Biro gone, they could conceivably run out Kulich Östlund Helenius as their centre spine.

Wahlberg played wing last year, Jobst played it prior to last year. Kozak and the new guy Dunne are also centres. 
Lots of ways it could,go.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Well he would not be on Jukerit but would be on Tappara this year anyways. Tappara, I think, were league champions last year so they are fairly good. 

Just now, dudacek said:

I think they have every intention of playing him in Rochester.

Physically, he’s ready, development-wise he needs to get used to the smaller ice surface.

Roster-wise, he slides into the spot vacated by Savoie.

With Biro gone, they could conceivably run out Kulich Östlund Helenius as their centre spine.

Wahlberg played wing last year, Jobst played it prior to last year. Kozak and the new guy Dunne are also centres. 
Lots of ways it could,go.

Could do that, I am not opposed to it at all. I want Helenius in Rochester so I can watch him more and because I want him adapting to NA ice ASAP. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I believe he will have a large say in where he plays. He will probably get most of the PK Time over Kulich, while Kulich is on the top PP. With the level of talent that’s in the Rochester Forward group I imagine there is a better balance between the second and third line TOI 

• Thanks (+1) 1

• nfreeman changed the title to Sabres Sign Helenius to His ELC

I fully realize looking forward with prospects is always dicey. And we don't want to wish our lives away. But somewhere in the not too distant future a hybrid 3rd line of Helenius, Benson and Wahlberg could be a lot of fun to watch.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, JustOneParade said:

I fully realize looking forward with prospects is always dicey. And we don't want to wish our lives away. But somewhere in the not too distant future a hybrid 3rd line of Helenius, Benson and Wahlberg could be a lot of fun to watch.

cat Heavy breathing GIF

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The more I think about it, the more I think KA won’t be adding a top 6 winger via trade.

i think the plan is to have Benson, kulich and Helesius fight it out for line 2 winger. If none shine, zucker is the fallback option

i think a trade of Krebs is a distinct possibility 

6 hours ago, JustOneParade said:

Do you think McLeod is temporary or moved to the 4th line?

I know we have assets but that doesn’t mean you spend them foolishly. I think they really like him. I sure hope we all like him.

Then again, if TNT and Cozens stick, where else do Helenius and Östlund go? 
we just don’t have that many winger spots. Quinn and JJ look like excellent wingers. I really like Tuch if he plays with more consistency. That leaves one spot for Walberg, Kulich, Rosen and all the other lower picks. Maybe a couple of those are great picks?

Unless we have to let Tuch go due to financial constraints…. Then there’s two spots….

i think next year after the first pick, we really should look at and draft those that project to the third and fourth lines….good ones!

I think Helenius will be ready for 3C duty after 1 year possibly but most likely after 2 years (much depending on if he will be in ROC next season). McLeod has also played wing so 4th line may be his final destination. The Sabres will have plenty of time to evaluate him. Always good to have a winger who can be a capable C.

Wouldn’t it be great if we have too much NHL talent in a couple of years. (If there is such a thing as too much talent).

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think KA won’t be adding a top 6 winger via trade.

i think the plan is to have Benson, kulich and Helesius fight it out for line 2 winger. If none shine, zucker is the fallback option

i think a trade of Krebs is a distinct possibility 

My guess would be Zucker, Helenius is most likely going to Rochester and benson needs to earn that right imo.