UPL and Malenstyn file for arbitration

Brawndo

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Arbitration is usually for a 1 or 2 year deal.  On a one year deal, my guess is the Sabres come in under $3.5.  $4.6 is probably the area for a 4-5 year deal.  We have to remember that UPL's season was his first good one in pro hockey (AHL/NHL).

Malenstyn has no case.  He is a 1st year NHL player at 26.  If he thinks he's getting Lafferty type money he is out of his mind.  The projection has him at 1.5 for a year 2 years.  Her isn't worth that.

Well Woll only had 1 decent year and nothing to the likes of UPL as far as wins or games played. I doubt he makes less than Woll, not a chane imo but I hope you're right.

39 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I'm not quite sure how arbitration works but Joseph Woll got 3.66M then UPl should at least be 4.6M, he nearly doubled Woll in games played plus had better save % and goals against.

Beck Malenstyn made 762K AAV so what will he go up to 1M at most? Not terrible imo.

In addition to what GA said, Woll is signed for 2024/25 for a min salary.  His $3.66M is an extension starting in 2025.  So you could see that like an AAV of $2.9m over 4 years.  The Swayman arbitration last summer is a good baseline.  He asked for $4.5m, the Bruins offered $2m.  They settled at $3.475M.  I would expect UPL to be around there. And we should hope that UPL performs like Swayman did after arbitration. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

The Sabres having 2 out of the NHL total of 14 guys elect arbitration, comprised of their almost-certain starting goalie and a guy they just traded a pretty valuable draft pick for, isn't a great look.

I sure hope they sign both to decent contracts before those hearings.

When you try to Dog the franchise in every single thing, it starts to turn your posts into something to not take seriously.  

I know you love the team.  It's time to give it a rest and it's ok to start recognizing things are looking up.

• Disagree 1

Well I guess that's why Washington traded him. They were likely not close in their negotiations either. It doesn't really matter. See what the league decided and that maybe decides his future.

UPL is more of an issue. Arbitration can get ugly and sour players and teams. Goalies are the players with the most mental/focus issues. I know in Boston after they went to arbitration with Swayman there was a lot of fence rebuilding after. It's ugly since the team basically argues you suck right in front of you. See what happens, but it's not good since plan B is Reimer. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Just seems like business.

Malenstyn has been in the org less than a week, has had very little time to negotiate and has to protect his bargaining position.

Luukkonen has one of the best arb cases out there.

Just seems like it’s about getting a fair contract.

Plus one on this take.  The Bruins had three arbitration cases last year.  Including Frederic and Swayman, both key contributors.  And while Swayman maybe was irked Boston came in so low, he performed last season and will earn a long term extension this offseason, as he did not file. 

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My wife and I were driving back to Atlanta from Florida when this trade went down and I almost threw-up my Chick-fil-a.  On what planet was Beck Malenstyn worth a 2nd rd pick.  

In normal circumstances, he wouldn't be worth a 2nd round pick. However, from a Sabre perspective this year, it is absolutely worth a second-round pick. The Sabres had an abundance of draft picks that most likely wouldn't materialize as NHL players. So an asset was used to help address a structural problem associated with a lower line and style of play. Assessing the collective actions of the GM, he did a good job in adding players who will alter the makeup of the roster that needed to be remade. A little more than a year ago, KA gave up a second-round pick to acquire Greenway. Was it an overpay? Maybe. So what. We added a NHL player who was a solid player for us. I simply don't know what you are complaining about. 

55 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

In addition to what GA said, Woll is signed for 2024/25 for a min salary.  His $3.66M is an extension starting in 2025.  So you could see that like an AAV of $2.9m over 4 years.  The Swayman arbitration last summer is a good baseline.  He asked for $4.5m, the Bruins offered $2m.  They settled at $3.475M.  I would expect UPL to be around there. And we should hope that UPL performs like Swayman did after arbitration. 

I’d be happy with that.

46 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

When you try to Dog the franchise in every single thing, it starts to turn your posts into something to not take seriously.  

I know you love the team.  It's time to give it a rest and it's ok to start recognizing things are looking up.

Me?  Team Storm Cloud?

I beg to differ.  I am happy with today's trade, very happy with Lindy's return and reasonably happy with the offseason so far, I still believe in TP as an owner and in most of the players, including the ones who disappointed last year, and I'm reasonably open minded on KA.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I am surprised and disappointed that UPL and KA could not reach an agreement on their own.    My thoughts on the Reimer pickup was insurance for #2 only.   I heard there were some hard feelings with UPL, and even some teammates, when Levi showed up and was handed games.  We need the UPL from the last half of last season.  The league will get to the number and after that I want a happy goalie.  

Malenstyn does not make enough to concern me.  I still don’t care about the #2 either.  

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This won't get to arbitration.  They rarely do.  My guess is a 3 year deal.

Swayman got 3.475 in arbitration on a 1 year deal. I can't see them giving UPL more than that unless the Sabres don't know how to argue an arbitration case properly. 

I also think Adams will be happy with a short term deal as UPL is not his guy, Levi is. UPL is just a stop gap. 

But now we also know why he picked up Reimer. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

To get more than Buffalo was offering. 

Right. Why, though? Is Adams undervaluing UPL or is UPL overvaluing himself?

☢ Speculation Warning ☢

Of course, the easy answer is that "it's likely a little of both" but I don't get that sense myself. The impression I have from UPL's interviews is that he is overvaluing himself. He's being a little impatient for a goalie who wasn't an apparent star from the start, IMHO.

They'll all say this is part of the business but there's some tension there between UPL and Adams behind the scenes and I could easily see UPL wanting out sooner rather than later.

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Kevyn Adams sitting in a chair in the dark as the lights turn on at key bank, as Malenstyn enters the room..

”I thought you said you wanted to be here, Beck?”

It’s still unspent 

Malenstyn trying to take the Tim Kennedy route...

• Haha (+1) 1

UPL to arbitration made my month. The Sabres need to know if UPL is the .910+ guy he played to be last season (or not). This is a short-term cost-controlled way to find out. He gets paid in a year where the cap is not of any importance to this team’s cap max.  I hope he rakes the Sabres over the coals and earns his long term deal.  

And if not and he returns to his .898 or injured form that he was displayed to be every year prior to 23-24, then the Sabres are protected and Levi gets the keys to the kingdom.  It’s a perfect scenario for the Sabres.  

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I am surprised and disappointed that UPL and KA could not reach an agreement on their own.    My thoughts on the Reimer pickup was insurance for #2 only.   I heard there were some hard feelings with UPL, and even some teammates, when Levi showed up and was handed games.  We need the UPL from the last half of last season.  The league will get to the number and after that I want a happy goalie.  

Malenstyn does not make enough to concern me.  I still don’t care about the #2 either.  

If UPL actually sees arbitration don’t count on a happy goalie. The numbers around 2nd contracts after arbitration are pretty low. 

Adams needs to figure out the UPL situation. If they step foot in a hearing they should send Adams packing immediately.

I don’t think any players actually want to go to arbitration. Having an employer that picked you from hundreds of teenagers, guided you through years of development and supported you to become one of the top 20 or so athletes at your position in the world suddenly highlight your weaknesses and deficiencies has got to be hard.

KA also realizes that UPL may not want to be in Buffalo once the process is done.

It is way better to settle “out of court“, and that is usually what happens.

There isn't a problem with UPL filing for arbitration. The concern is GMKA's history with goalie signings/retentions* and that he has never committed to more than 2 years with a goalie except for Levi's ELC. And although you shouldn't commit to multiple years with most of these AHL-level goalies [at their time of signing], it also reeks of EEE rather than, you know, winning.

*Hutton (retained/post-eye); Johansson (1 yr); Ullmark (1 yr to UFA); Tokarski (2 yr); Houser (from AHL contract); Lekkas (1 yr); Anderson (1 yr); Dell (1 yr); Houser (from AHL contract); Ben Bishop (1 yr remaining); Anderson again (1 yr); Comrie (2 yr); UPL (2 yr); Cooley (1 yr); Tokarski (1 yr); Sandström (1 yr); Reimer (1 yr)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I think UPL realized how Adams look at him last year with them trying to push Levi forward. UPL might be a bit impatient, but he has also worked very hard to get to where he is, and I think he consider he has proven he is a winner.

I am not worried about how UPL will play the coming season, but a Levi -UPL tandem can be a problem. On the other hand I think Ruff has the routine to handle it.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Mango said:

If UPL actually sees arbitration don’t count on a happy goalie. The numbers around 2nd contracts after arbitration are pretty low. 

Adams needs to figure out the UPL situation. If they step foot in a hearing they should send Adams packing immediately.

Funny, Boston’s GM was not sent packing when Swayman went to arbitration.   

There could be some tension with UPL towards Adams.  If the league settles it UPL might accept it better.  We don’t know his personality.  

13 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

There isn't a problem with UPL filing for arbitration. The concern is GMKA's history with goalie signings/retentions* and that he has never committed to more than 2 years with a goalie except for Levi's ELC. And although you shouldn't commit to multiple years with most of these AHL-level goalies [at their time of signing], it also reeks of EEE rather than, you know, winning.

*Hutton (retained/post-eye); Johansson (1 yr); Ullmark (1 yr to UFA); Tokarski (2 yr); Houser (from AHL contract); Lekkas (1 yr); Anderson (1 yr); Dell (1 yr); Houser (from AHL contract); Ben Bishop (1 yr remaining); Anderson again (1 yr); Comrie (2 yr); UPL (2 yr); Cooley (1 yr); Tokarski (1 yr); Sandström (1 yr); Reimer (1 yr)

What a sad list.  Time to break that cycle isn’t it?