UPL and Malenstyn file for arbitration

Brawndo

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Good thing we traded a 2nd for Malenstyn

My wife and I were driving back to Atlanta from Florida when this trade went down and I almost threw-up my Chick-fil-a.  On what planet was Beck Malenstyn worth a 2nd rd pick.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

It’s a pretty standard practice. I don’t know why we make such a big deal out of it. Only one or two players a year actually go to arbitration. In some years it’s none.

And when I say “we” I mean the people on Twitter and Reddit having a meltdown that UPL filed

The Sabres having 2 out of the NHL total of 14 guys elect arbitration, comprised of their almost-certain starting goalie and a guy they just traded a pretty valuable draft pick for, isn't a great look.

I sure hope they sign both to decent contracts before those hearings.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The Sabres having 2 out of the NHL total of 14 guys elect arbitration, comprised of their almost-certain starting goalie and a guy they just traded a pretty valuable draft pick for, isn't a great look.

Just seems like business.

Malenstyn has been in the org less than a week, has had very little time to negotiate and has to protect his bargaining position.

Luukkonen has one of the best arb cases out there.

Just seems like it’s about getting a fair contract.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 2

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I can’t say I have ever viewed a player opting for arbitration as a negative as it relates to team’s reputation. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Malenstyn has been in the org less than a week, has had very little time to negotiate and has to protect his bargaining position.

I can see it for the FNG, but I kinda think they should've been able to make a deal with UPL without him needing to elect arbitration.

It'll probably work out fine.  The Ullmark debacle looms in the background though.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I can see it for the FNG, but I kinda think they should've been able to make a deal with UPL without him needing to elect arbitration.

It'll probably work out fine.  The Ullmark debacle looms in the background though.

I think this is the best move for all involved.  The Sabres get more runway to see if UPL is “him.”  UPL gets a raise and if he runs it back, will have a nice long term contract waiting for him (here or somewhere else).

Swayman elected for arbitration last year and it has gone well for him.  He’s about to get PAID.  

Kevyn Adams sitting in a chair in the dark as the lights turn on at key bank, as Malenstyn enters the room..

”I thought you said you wanted to be here, Beck?”

13 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What happened to all the Skinner money Terry was going to bank?

It’s still unspent 

55 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yep, it actually usually helps negotiations. The team knows exactly what the player will settle for and can structure a long term deal around that number.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

52 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Not liking the UPL situation because he’s likely looking to gouge us.

Idk how he can. If he goes to arbitration, he's not getting a massive payday

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Kevyn Adams sitting in a chair in the dark as the lights turn on at key bank, as Malenstyn enters the room..

”I thought you said you wanted to be here, Beck?”Cracking Up Lol GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

How the ***** did I end up with that gif in your post?

*puts drink down*

Edited by Weave
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'm not quite sure how arbitration works but Joseph Woll got 3.66M then UPl should at least be 4.6M, he nearly doubled Woll in games played plus had better save % and goals against.

Beck Malenstyn made 762K AAV so what will he go up to 1M at most? Not terrible imo.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

UPl should at least be 4.6M,

Arbitration is usually for a 1 or 2 year deal.  On a one year deal, my guess is the Sabres come in under $3.5.  $4.6 is probably the area for a 4-5 year deal.  We have to remember that UPL's season was his first good one in pro hockey (AHL/NHL).

Malenstyn has no case.  He is a 1st year NHL player at 26.  If he thinks he's getting Lafferty type money he is out of his mind.  The projection has him at 1.5 for a year 2 years.  Her isn't worth that.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.