Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

2 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

This is my take as well. I guess my personal valuation of Savoie was substantially lower than the seemingly generally accepted value. Malenstyn was a big overpay. This one is a lot closer to even. 

How often do just-entering-prime bona fide 3C players who are under team control at a low AAV come on the market? Certainly not often enough to gauge a concrete trade value.

"Malenstyn, 26, had a breakout season with the Capitals in 2023-24 and cemented himself as a true NHLer. After appearing in just nine games for the Capitals in 2022-23, Malenstyn played in 81 contests this past season, posting six goals, 21 points, 93 blocks, and 241 hits."

https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/buffalo-sabres/latest-news/sabres-acquire-beck-malenstyn-from-capitals

You don't get MEAN for nothing. He also helped Hersey knock Amerks from the Playoffs 2024

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I like it.  I wish there was slightly more quality in the top 6, but it looks like 4 lines that Lindy can roll.

You wish last year didn't happen because before that we all were very Optimistic.

At least we got Peterka staring at being 30+ goal scorer now.

What makes you think Adams is done. Still LOADED with prospects

Every other Team is looking at Sabres with Ruff, Tough bottom 6, Top 6 two years ago that was Top 3 in League. Oh Adams still is Loaded with Prospects to trade and MONEY

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Shoot da Puck said:

I am clamoring for another  trade

Top 4 RH Defenseman to pair with Dahlin would be nice, stay at home guy.

Got Samuelsson, Ryan Johnson to use with Prospects

I don't care that we got rid of Savoie....whatevs.

But can we all be honest here? Does this addition really move the needle all that much?

We are still no better at C than we were last year due to the mitts trade.

Feels like everyone is just pumped something happened, even though nothing really happened. This is a 'meh' trade. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 1

34 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Fine, I'll do it.

Edmonton realized that more ex-Sabres gives you better odds to win the Cup. Kane wasn't enough against the superior Panthers numbers.

First next ex-Sabres to win a Cup could be: Kane, Skinner, and Savoie.

Savoie really only played a couple games, doesn't count

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's how I'm looking at it. 

Would I rather have:

Ehlers and Savoie

Or

Krebs, Helenius, and McLeod

... full disclosure, I think Helenius is a better NHL player than Savoie. 

Based on everything that's been said about him, expecting that is correct.

While Krebs was the preference to be the odd man out, it wasn't realistic.  Savoie (or possibly Rosen) was the next on the list.

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think the issue for some is, Savoie was ranked as our number 1 prospect, but this trade is a bit of a shock if it was so.  

Drafted #6 Over all and score 71 pts in 34 games last year

Kulich has shown signs with Amerks which means more. This years draft and #14 pick I think made Savoie expendable because he most likely wasn't gonna get a fair shot to play this year. Adams couldn't risk a Rookie in a much needed spot.

For this reason I still believe Adams gets a Winger Top Line or a Center 2nd line and Cozens goes to wing

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the Sabres make the playoffs this season just on the “loser points” they’re going to get that they didn’t get last season, not unlike Washington.

• Like (+1) 4

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think the issue for some is, Savoie was ranked as our number 1 prospect, but this trade is a bit of a shock if it was so.  

I'd go 

Helenius

Kulich

Savoie 

Östlund

Wahlberg 

If you pressed me to do this without any further research. Savoie dominating the W at 20, doesn't do a lot for me and I felt his game stagnated in the WHL. It was more of the same. He's got great wheels and good hands but I'm curious when that speed advantage drops in the NHL how he'll be. Benson uses his brain to manipulate teams using above average hands and good edges. Savoie uses his edges to give his hands more room but he skates into trouble. Idk, Savoie could be a 70pt NHL guy but he might also be your typical 45-50pt kudos 6 winger with wheels. 

3 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Drafted #6 Over all and score 71 pts in 34 games last year

Kulich has shown signs with Amerks which means more. This years draft and #14 pick I think made Savoie expendable because he most likely wasn't gonna get a fair shot to play this year. Adams couldn't risk a Rookie in a much needed spot.

For this reason I still believe Adams gets a Winger Top Line or a Center 2nd line and Cozens goes to wing

Savoie was drafted 9th overall

• Like (+1) 1

Updated Lines

Tuch  Tage  Peterka

Quinn  Cozens  Zucker

Greenway  McLeod  Benson

Malenstyn  Lafferty  Kulich

Backups: Aube-Kubel  Krebs

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

With the addition of McLeod, how does this affect the contract offer for Krebs? Krebs Q-offer is 832K.  Could they say take it or leave at that price?  

UPLs is 925K and Malestyn's is 775K.

Krebs can be shipped off for a Draft pick, lucky a 2nd Rounder but more likely a 3rd or 4th

Seeing this is a pleasant surprise.  It pays to step away for awhile. 

First, best of luck to Savoie. He may be a good NHL player someday. The situation is that we are loaded with young forwards and in need of NHL players. So be it, I assume Edmonton wanted him so good for him   

McLeod is a low risk acquisition from a contract point of view.  He is big and fast, a two way player that can take faceoffs (hoping).   Lindy stated he wants to win key faceoffs.   Not sure McLeod can provide more points, but he scored 3 goals in the SCF.  

Now Krebs has to battle two centers for 3C and 4C.   Ruff will of course play with line combos for a while, and we will have a good player as a 13th forward now.  

Not a big trade but we added another piece that improved the roster.  Lots of little pieces are hopefully adding up.  

Pondering will there be another move?  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

Hes never shown much and hes not much of an upgrade to me personally over Krebs.

Fantastic then. We now have competition. I don’t think he’s being written in as 3C right now. If Krebs wants it more, then he can play his ass of and take it. Either way, having 2 viable 3Cs, even if one is better than the other, is better than none. 

Well, I'm not crazy about McLeod as 3C but it's better than Krebs at 3C. The team got better without shedding roster players so that's good. 

I guess Adams has thoughts in line with mine that Savoie just isn't big enough to make an NHL impact (so why do we draft them???) but that's fine. Again, no roster player removed and better than Krebs so that's fine. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Seeing this is a pleasant surprise.  It pays to step away for awhile. 

First, best of luck to Savoie. He may be a good NHL player someday. The situation is that we are loaded with young forwards and in need of NHL players. So be it, I assume Edmonton wanted him so good for him   

McLeod is a low risk acquisition from a contract point of view.  He is big and fast, a two way player that can take faceoffs (hoping).   Lindy stated he wants to win key faceoffs.   Not sure McLeod can provide more points, but he scored 3 goals in the SCF.  

Now Krebs has to battle two centers for 3C and 4C.   Ruff will of course play with line combos for a while, and we will have a good player as a 13th forward now.  

Not a big trade but we added another piece that improved the roster.  Lots of little pieces are hopefully adding up.  

Pondering will there be another move?  

Krebs would definitely need to be removed from Roster. The only other way is trade a player off Top 6 for another. Move Krebs and Greenway get a Top 6 guy.

How do you get Benson in otherwise. Zucker is definitely playing as is Lafferty and Malenstyn. These are your grit guys and Zucker can backup anyone on the Top 6 for a short period.

Roster is Full. May only be room for a Amerk on Bottom Line like Kulich over Aube-Kubel playing every game.

15 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Kulich ain’t making it

I know 100% Appert don't feel that way

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.