Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There’s certainly a LOT of “how could you do this?” On twitter, but I think this thread has a better handle on the trade

time will tell 

I trust Cam from EP over Matt. Especially since Cam is in Vancouver and the WHL EP scout.

Edited by LGR4GM

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

There is actually some data that Krebs passing to Malenstyn might work 

Lafferty should present reasonable competition for him he likely doesn’t surpass 

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

And this guy is getting toasted for that take in the replies.

That’s Twitter. The responses are always opposite to the tweet 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think Benson made Savoie obsolete and I’m ok with this. We had to get a serviceable player who we have control over. Big, fast and can take faceoffs. 

Nobody was ever going to be happy with any trade we made using assets. I think Savoie may very well be a player but I think Benson has more upside.

Still wondering why Josh Bloom trade happened for a player who’s gone already and barely played?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Night Train said:

I didn't read he was soft at all. They(Edm) are in cap trouble and I  wouldn't be surprised to see another trade with other teams with cap issues. 

It's interesting that the Oilers with their cap problems went out and signed Jeff Skinner, who it appears got a $3M contract (more in line with his actual value than what his Sabres contract called for).  Trading us McLeod helps with their cap, and maybe Adams squeezed a little to get Tullio thrown in.  He's a minor leaguer so far but could help in Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

Find an elite LW for the top 6 - Benson on the 3rd line for now is ideal - and that’s a playoff team.  

Gotta get Aube-Kubel on the right and Greenway bumped up but ya 

This seems like a pretty solid hockey trade. I wasn't aware of how fast the bottom six had become until this thread, so thanks, all, for the edumacation. 

Other than speed, deep playoff experience, and some good metrics, what excites me is that this trade means the Sabres really can't justify keeping Krebs in the lineup.

• Like (+1) 5

Speed, size, +/- +14 the past 2 seasons, offensive output on the upswing. I really liked Savoie but never really knew where he fit after Benson made the team. We have our 3rd line center so I'm pretty stoked although his contract is up after this season. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

McLeod is making 2.1 and is an RFA after next season.

I congratulate Adams on finally making a deal.  I haven’t seen McLeod play much, but the deal seems fairly reasonable.  McLeod is a real NHL player with 3 years of experience.  He has improved each season.  His contract is reasonable, the team still has control and he’s only 24.  

Faceoff % over 50% last year and was slight shaded to Dzone starts.  

I'll echo this. It's encouraging to see KA's willingness to finally loosen up the logjam of young prospects for an actual contributing NHLer.

Let's go!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I have suspected for some time that Adams was reluctant to trade any of the players he considered blue-chip prospects, not wanting to see them blossom in another city.  So he sat on too many of them, creating a logjam and blocking needed development.  Finally he broke loose.  I honestly hope Savoie does great in his career.  After you trade a player, he's a sunk cost, he's gone, and there's no point in fretting over the loss, unless of course you got completely hosed in the deal.  This deal looks like it could be a win-win.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Totally out of left field and I really like it.

Half the time I watched the Oilers play I would think McLeod was McDavid on the ice. He is that fast. Age fits timeline too.

Great 3C. Size, great wheels, good defensively, can chip in offensively. Still think another move is coming. Where does Krebs fit in?  Maybe an Ehlers deal is coming.

Krebs Extra or gone

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I am surprised that Edm adding Henrique made this kid expendable.  He does seem like an excellent fit for us and Lindy’s new look Sabres.

The more I read on McLeod, the more I like the fit and looking at his AHL and Jr stats I think he might have more offense than he’s shown so far.

I hate to raise this issue, but KA just moved out our smallest forward prospect for a bullet fast 6’2+ 200+ center.

Kinda like Buffalo and the WR group

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There’s still a real possibility of this happening.

My reaction to the reaction though is 🤷

No risky trade the Sabres make will get the benefit of the doubt because Buffalo.

We’ve earned that.

The only way to overcome it is to win.

That comp is not the greatest. Erat was already 31 with declining numbers at the time of the trade.

I hope Savoie becomes a decent NHLer, but stays out west so there are few revenge games.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.