Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

1 minute ago, Curt said:

I like it.  I wish there was slightly more quality in the top 6, but it looks like 4 lines that Lindy can roll.

The biggest issue I see at this point is any injury in the top six is going to create one massive glaring hole in the roster.

Just now, French Collection said:

This is a move in the right direction.

McLeod checks off all of the boxes I had for a 3C. Big, fast, PKer and good on draws. He is coming from a team that has recent success.

He’s also from southern Ontario, Mississauga to be exact.

Ruff would know the family, coached his brother Michael, who is part of the 2018 World Junior charges.

I like Savoie but something had to give and I don’t think he would help much this year.

Didn’t his brother get into some trouble? 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

McCleod only played 9 minutes in game 7 and was a minus 2. 

Buuuuuuut had a goal, was plus 1 and had 10 PIM in game 6.  

OA averaged 13 minutes of ice time during their STANLEY CUP FINAL run was a minus 7 and had 4 goals, playing in defensive role.  Not great not terrible.  

Did I mention we got a guy that was just in the SCF - something this team really needs to have in the locker room.  

I don't like him on the first deflection goal. He had the chance to step out faster on Rodrigues and tie him up or maybe block the pass (that was going feet wide before Verhaeghe's deflection). I can see Oilers message board poster types (you know the ones...) be upset with the play and make him a scapegoat for their loss.

His other minus was as he stepped onto the ice during Reinhart's rush goal, a hundred feet from the cage. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

The biggest issue I see at this point is any injury in the top six is going to create one massive glaring hole in the roster.

That’s where you see what Rosen, Kulich, Östlund etc.. have in a short term stint.

• Like (+1) 4

6 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

It’s very true

but, we may have the personal to play the old “hunker down and win 1-0, no style points” system if that happens 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

They have Kulich, Rosen, Helenius, Wahlburg, Östlund, Kisikov waiting in the wings, quite literally.  I know I’m forgetting someone but they have guys they can audition for it.  Let the best man win.  I’d love to see Kulich force his way into the lineup.  Kid is special. 

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's how I'm looking at it. 

Would I rather have:

Ehlers and Savoie

Or

Krebs, Helenius, and McLeod

... full disclosure, I think Helenius is a better NHL player than Savoie. 

And they might still figure out a way to pry Ehlers away from Winnipeg 

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, shrader said:

They sure are focusing on that lousy team defense we’ve seen for so many years. 

If they are in cap trouble you dont give up your best prospect for a tweener who has never had more than 30 points in Edmonton and who is as soft as a babies diaper.

Edited by Rasmus_

I like the player, have a hard time with the trade based on the Twitter and HfBoards crucifying us and comparing it to Erat for Forsburg. 

Granted had we done nothing we’d still be ridiculed just more quietly. I’m not entirely sure where Savoie would have fit long term but I wish we could have at least got a little more for him. 

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

They have Kulich, Rosen, Helenius, Wahlburg, Östlund, Kisikov waiting in the wings, quite literally.  I know I’m forgetting someone but they have guys they can audition for it.  Let the best man win.  I’d love to see Kulich force his way into the lineup.  Kid is special. 

And not piss off @Thorny while he’s having a good day, but having the bottom 6 we now have, means we can afford squeezing a kid into the lineup if he earns it (like real NHL teams do), because there will be veteran support for him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

8 minutes ago, tom webster said:

And they might still figure out a way to pry Ehlers away from Winnipeg 

Maybe.  I guess that would move Benson to the 3rd line with McLeod and Zucker, which could work out pretty nicely.  But now that Savoie is gone, KA probably woudn't give up both Kulich and Östlund for Ehlers.  Maybe one of them plus a 2025 #1?

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There’s certainly a LOT of “how could you do this?” On twitter, but I think this thread has a better handle on the trade

time will tell 

There’s still a real possibility of this happening.

My reaction to the reaction though is 🤷

No risky trade the Sabres make will get the benefit of the doubt because Buffalo.

We’ve earned that.

The only way to overcome it is to win.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.