Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

18 minutes ago, Alaska John said:

Good observation.  The Bills are going to line up with two TEs and at least three WRs, all 6' 4" or taller. None of them are blazing fast but the Bills are building for mass and power.  

Maybe the memo went out to all or Pegulaland.

Some are fast too, Claypool, MVS are 6'4"+ and very fast like 4.3. Our X WR's if they make Roster which I believe they will.

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He’s more trusted to be a 3C than Peyton Krebs and has Stanley Cup Final experience, so trading one of your four/five other similar prospects (Kulich, Rosan, Östlund, Helenius, beaten out by Benson) makes sense to improve your 2024-25 Sabres.  I like it. 

He's bigger, faster, better at face-offs and he's better defensively than Krebs. My guess if Krebs stays on the team he's seen his last days as a C. As a 3C, my guess this is also a Lindy approved deal. As for Savoie, I could be wrong but I think at this point he wouldn't be the 9th pick in that draft, plus we have other options coming up, he won't be missed. We are now a much faster team than we were last year, we'll see if that works in our favor. KA and Lindy are changing the face of this team moving forward, there's little question about that. Zucker IMO will help Quinn and Cozens move forward. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I don’t think it is necessary to poke holes in Savoie’s game and progress to be good with this trade. We have a lot of prospects and can’t play them all. We have a need for a bottom six centre who can win draws and kill penalties and we got one who is young and can fly and has playoff experience. If Savoie turns into a stud, the trade is still easily justified. 

Also, I have no idea what this means for Krebs, but provided he is not traded I don’t think this automatically relegates him to the 4th line or bench. I think Krebs’s upside is being way undersold. We aren’t getting through the year with 12 forwards. If he is here, he will be an important part of what we do. 

We have Lafferty as 4th Center.

Kulich is a better idea then Krebs. Krebs can't play Wing. Even Appert said Rousek filled in Great as Center when guys went down. Unless Krebs has done something different in offseason, looks to me like he will be gone. Don't expect to get much for him either.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jsb said:

He's bigger, faster, better at face-offs and he's better defensively than Krebs. My guess if Krebs stays on the team he's seen his last days as a C. As a 3C, my guess this is also a Lindy approved deal. As for Savoie, I could be wrong but I think at this point he wouldn't be the 9th pick in that draft, plus we have other options coming up, he won't be missed. We are now a much faster team than we were last year, we'll see if that works in our favor. KA and Lindy are changing the face of this team moving forward, there's little question about that. Zucker IMO will help Quinn and Cozens move forward. 

Wow, why Dish #1-2 Prospect out the door?

Do you know he has 71pts this past year in 34 games and you think he wouldn't be at Least a #9 draft pick???? There are few players that get those numbers.

Savoie is a fine player and I am sure he will be Great for Edmonton. Adams was backed into a corner and at least he got a fine Prospect back.

The Fact the Trade happened don't bode well for Krebs staying with the Sabres. he has a training camp maybe. I see no future for Krebs in Buffalo.

I believe Lafferty has a 2 year deal too.

5 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

I don't care about the backups but here is what you can dress on game day    Bottom 6 Top 6 offense and 3 Defense pairings with starting Goalie and backup Goalie.

Do you deny this?

All Starting Positions on Paper are filled for now. We bring anyone in to Start they are knocking someone from that group. We are not short starting players.

That said, Krebs can only play Center and not that well from what we seen last year. The reason I know this. The replacements are on the Roster. Amerks have a few too.

So if we add a Winger Top 6, How does Greenway stay a starter????????

That simple. 

Also you do know we have 2 extra Defense players right now, Clifton and Bryson? That leaves us 1 offense back up player I believe. They can move Bryson to Amerks maybe but I don't think it can be a two contract. Either way Krebs is the Backup and can't play Wing. To me, he is Gone. Better off with Biro right now. or another Amerk or two.

You do realize we can trade players and injuries happen??

4 hours ago, jsb said:

Look at McKeod’s QOO and QOT, he played vs a lot of top guys typically with replacement level teammates. There’s some upside offensively if that balances out a bit with Buffalo

• Like (+1) 1

We are faster and bigger...that is good in itself. And of course you have to give something good to get something good back. We need this kind of player NOW and have lots of other nice prospects for the future. The future is NOW and this year coming up will determine KA's job thereafter...

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Top 6 Forward added Starting Roster This is so people understand what happens to players on the Roster now

Tage  Tuch  Peterka  See no smart reason to change this unless a stud is added

Quinn  Cozens  Nick Foligno/Alex Iafallo/Sam Bennett  one of these guys and knocks Benson to 3rd String

Benson  McLeod  Zucker

Malenstyn  Lafferty  Aube-Kubel

Dahlin  Power

Bo Byram  Ryan Johnson

Samuelson  Joki

Krebs, Greenway, Clifton, Bryson extras. Only 3 can stay for Sabres 

There is Plenty of help in Amerks too. Rousek, Rosen, Kulich are all almost ready. Biro is available too with Claque.

Waiting on Krebs for?????

Mentioned here previously…Biro moved on.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/hockey/news/krakens-brandon-biro-inks-two-way-deal/

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Top 6 Forward added Starting Roster This is so people understand what happens to players on the Roster now

Tage  Tuch  Peterka  See no smart reason to change this unless a stud is added

Quinn  Cozens  Nick Foligno/Alex Iafallo/Sam Bennett  one of these guys and knocks Benson to 3rd String

Benson  McLeod  Zucker

Malenstyn  Lafferty  Aube-Kubel

Dahlin  Power

Bo Byram  Ryan Johnson

Samuelson  Joki

Krebs, Greenway, Clifton, Bryson extras. Only 3 can stay for Sabres 

There is Plenty of help in Amerks too. Rousek, Rosen, Kulich are all almost ready. Biro is available too with Claque.

Waiting on Krebs for?????

Biro has moved on, with Seattle.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Thorny said:

Gotta get Aube-Kubel on the right and Greenway bumped up but ya 

I know many disagree with me, but I think Greenway may be the odd man out.  They obviously want guys who are fast, VERY fast on those bottom 2 lines (all are except for Zucker and Zucker is "OK").  Greenway doesn't fit.  Also, I know its not the main reason Skinner is gone, but he was one of the slower forwards on the team (Skinner) and he's gone. 

There is just a chance Adams/Ruff for some reason want to put together one of the fastest skating teams in the league, at least the bottom 2 lines, and Greenway doesn't fit.. Plus he was brought in as one of 'Granato's guys'.

Again, he has a role and he has some good qualities, and I know a lot of people here like him....just to me it wouldn't be surprising if he isn't on the 3rd line, or even a regular on the 4th once the regular season starts.  I think he is going to have to have one of the best training camps ever to convince Ruff to be a regular in the lineup.

Edited by mjd1001

10 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I know many disagree with me, but I think Greenway may be the odd man out.  They obviously want guys who are fast, VERY fast on those bottom 2 lines (all are except for Zucker and Zucker is "OK").  Greenway doesn't fit.  Also, I know its not the main reason Skinner is gone, but he was one of the slowest forwards on the team (Skinner) and he's gone. 

There is just a chance Adams/Ruff for some reason want to put together one of the fastest skating teams in the league, at least the bottom 2 lines, and Greenway doesn't fit at all.   Again, he has a role and he has some good qualities, and I know a lot of people here like him....just to me it wouldn't be surprising if he isn't on the 3rd line, or even a regular on the 4th once the regular season starts.

Isn’t greenway fast for his size?  I can understand the sentiment but I don’t see Greenway as an outlier like a Reeves of the world 

Edited by triumph_communes

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Isn’t greenway fast for his size?

According to NHL edge, he is one of the very slowest players in the league for top speed and speed bursts over 20. If you look at the previous year, he was closer to average, but he is no where near the guys they are putting together right now.

greenway.jpg

Edited by mjd1001
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, mjd1001 said:

According to NHL edge, he is one of the very slowest players in the league for top speed and speed bursts over 20.  Not below average speed, but really, really slow, at least all season last year.

greenway.jpg

What about his time in Minny?  The Sabres system was slow as molasses last year 

1 minute ago, triumph_communes said:

What about his time in Minny?  The Sabres system was slow as molasses last year 

He was better there, but still not 'fast'. But even if the Sabres 'system' was slow, he still ranks toward the bottom on the team of players that played in the same system.

Its not just skating speed as I said above.  He clearly isn't as fast as most of guys they are bringing in for the 3rd and 4th line. But for those bottom 6 spots, it is becoming a numbers game, and someone may have to go. Greenway was brought in as someone who played for Granato in the past, he doesn't have that history with Ruff. I'm not saying he is gone for sure, I'm just saying it won't surprise me if he is gone..or at least spending more time in the press box.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Isn’t greenway fast for his size?  I can understand the sentiment but I don’t see Greenway as an outlier like a Reeves of the world 

Greenway style reminds me of Jochen Hecht and Lindy loved Hecht. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Turbo44 said:

Look at McKeod’s QOO and QOT, he played vs a lot of top guys typically with replacement level teammates. There’s some upside offensively if that balances out a bit with Buffalo

There is something to be said for the fact away from the big guns in Edmonton, McLeod had mediocre to bad linemates. 

It's interesting that NAK, Lafferty, and McLeod all have analytic profiles that show they can eat tough minutes fairly well. Maybe the Karmanos department finally convinced Adams that stats matter. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

He was better there, but still not 'fast'. But even if the Sabres 'system' was slow, he still ranks toward the bottom on the team of players that played in the same system.

Its not just skating speed as I said above.  He clearly isn't as fast as most of guys they are bringing in for the 3rd and 4th line. But for those bottom 6 spots, it is becoming a numbers game, and someone may have to go. Greenway was brought in as someone who played for Granato in the past, he doesn't have that history with Ruff. I'm not saying he is gone for sure, I'm just saying it won't surprise me if he is gone..or at least spending more time in the press box.

His work on the PK is special 

• Like (+1) 1

The Hecht comparison is intriguing.

And isn’t there something to be said for not every player on your bottom 6 being an absolute burner? Someone needs to be trailing the play — to pick up that drop pass or diffuse a dangerous turnover.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, jahnyc said:

Given where he was picked in the draft, I would have expected that Savoie would become a top six forward.  I understand that we did receive some value back, but it is disappointing on a number of levels, including that the organization soured on him before he could start full-time with the Amerks (or Sabres).  Makes me wonder about the front office's ability to assess draft eligible players and overall drafting skills.

Or they simply feel that Helenius is ahead of him already and is a better prospect at C.   Similar to Benson passing him last season.  

There is no way they can field all of these guys, tough decisions had to be made. They added a roster player for another player with potential that was headed to Rochester.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.