Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

57 minutes ago, jahnyc said:

the organization soured on him before he could start full-time with the Amerks (or Sabres).

He was one of several high draft pick forwards on the team.  Not all of them are going to make the team.  Benson made the NHL roster out of his first rookie camp and acquitted himself well as an 18-year-old.  Savioe is obviously not on that same level.  You could have moved one of several of the forwards listed in this thread to fill the 3C hole.  I don't think it's that the Sabres soured on him, I think it was just a case of he got us the 3C we wanted.

58 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Gerry Rafferty? Not the guy I thought we signed.

Greatest sax riff ever?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch

Zucker-Cozens-Quinn

Benson-McLeod-Greenway

Malenstyn-Rafferty-Aube-Kubel

Krebs

I suppose Krebs could beat out Malenstyn or Rafferty. Either way, he's decent insurance. 

Although l agree with you, no telling how Lindy will setup his lines or D pairings. I doubt he’ll follow the Granato way

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Ftr. I don't agree that a top 10 pick has to make the NHL in their d+2 and contribute. Jack Quinn didn't for example. That said, I think Savioe being great in the WHL at 20 needs to be taken with a grain of salt. 

We'll just have to see how it all shakes out. 

is there an NHLe that is both league and age based?

21 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I doubt that was the plan. I am glad however that they are not still stocking the cupboard, the cupboard is overflowing. 

The plan was to get the best player you could at that draft position because that will help your team.... somehow.  It's not always because that player will play for your team.

21 minutes ago, inkman said:

Music Video Hater GIF

Yeah, I edited to read "poster".  Cuz I suck.

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think it is necessary to poke holes in Savoie’s game and progress to be good with this trade. We have a lot of prospects and can’t play them all. We have a need for a bottom six centre who can win draws and kill penalties and we got one who is young and can fly and has playoff experience. If Savoie turns into a stud, the trade is still easily justified. 

Also, I have no idea what this means for Krebs, but provided he is not traded I don’t think this automatically relegates him to the 4th line or bench. I think Krebs’s upside is being way undersold. We aren’t getting through the year with 12 forwards. If he is here, he will be an important part of what we do. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

According to the Oilers, he's a very soft player.

I hate overpaying regardless though; we're being torn a new one on the HFboards

Why?!!!

Why the f*** would we send a prospect for a sort player? Why would Lindy do this?

GAaaaaaaa! I’m not going to like this if he isn’t good at D . Isn’t a good 3C…. Avoids greasy areas…

Like. That’s the opposite of what we need….. You gotta play two-way and you gotta go to the net….

• Eyeroll 1

Looking at his advanced stats, there's some positives, but he's not the top 6 we really needed.

As a 3C, does he actually move the needle? 12g 18a doesn't seem like a push us into the playoffs type player. More like a warm body in the spot. 

I don't hate the trade, but IMO we need a top 6 F more than a 3C.

Just now, JoeSchmoe said:

Looking at his advanced stats, there's some positives, but he's not the top 6 we really needed.

As a 3C, does he actually move the needle? 12g 18a doesn't seem like a push us into the playoffs type player. More like a warm body in the spot. 

I don't hate the trade, but IMO we need a top 6 F more than a 3C.

He’s more trusted to be a 3C than Peyton Krebs and has Stanley Cup Final experience, so trading one of your four/five other similar prospects (Kulich, Rosan, Östlund, Helenius, beaten out by Benson) makes sense to improve your 2024-25 Sabres.  I like it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He’s more trusted to be a 3C than Peyton Krebs and has Stanley Cup Final experience, so trading one of your four/five other similar prospects (Kulich, Rosan, Östlund, Helenius, beaten out by Benson) makes sense to improve your 2024-25 Sabres.  I like it. 

I get it, but Savoie was the only one out of our four senior prospects that I think will be legit top 6. I really don't like losing him for a warm body.

Kulich will play in the league, but will be more 3rd line. The two Swedes will be lucky to stick in the NHL, especially Rosen.

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, inkman said:

There ain’t enough room for the 200 sub 6 foot skill guys we have in the pipeline.  This move made my pants get bigger. 

Could you please explain? I'm confused as to how pants can grow in size. Ostensibly flummoxed.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

The money is the thing that's been annoying me so far. If we aren't spending to the cap we aren't competing. (We don't even have anybody on LTIR :)) Adams had more leverage to take on a contract for prospects before free agency than he does now. Now I'm not talking a complete garbage contract, but one that's maybe a little too high or too long or just hampers a cap squeezed team that waned to go another way. Like maybe the way the Pens unloaded Reilly or some team like Vegas before they decided they had to move on from Marchessault and so on. 

So he can still do it, but I'm not sure there's a trade partner for that out there any more.

Unless they wanted Savoie, nothing has changed. Other Teams now know Adams will Bargain with Prospects

I didn't see today coming so guess we sit and wait.

4 minutes ago, Stads said:

I appreciate the use of a visual aid to help me. What is this "schwing" being referenced? Apologies for my naivety.

Think Girls

• Haha (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Penality Kill and Facilitator for Zucker, Greenway and Benson. Do just nicely

1 hour ago, B-U-F-F-A-L-O said:

Why?!!!

Why the f*** would we send a prospect for a sort player? Why would Lindy do this?

GAaaaaaaa! I’m not going to like this if he isn’t good at D . Isn’t a good 3C…. Avoids greasy areas…

Like. That’s the opposite of what we need….. You gotta play two-way and you gotta go to the net….

Do some reading. Known as a Two way Player and Penalty Kill

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

You do know there are 23 roster spots?   If you think the roster is full you don’t get it.  Lots can happen and things can change.

Your insistence that “an Amerk” is automatically is making the team is based on nothing tangible.  

I don't care about the backups but here is what you can dress on game day    Bottom 6 Top 6 offense and 3 Defense pairings with starting Goalie and backup Goalie.

Do you deny this?

All Starting Positions on Paper are filled for now. We bring anyone in to Start they are knocking someone from that group. We are not short starting players.

That said, Krebs can only play Center and not that well from what we seen last year. The reason I know this. The replacements are on the Roster. Amerks have a few too.

So if we add a Winger Top 6, How does Greenway stay a starter????????

That simple. 

Also you do know we have 2 extra Defense players right now, Clifton and Bryson? That leaves us 1 offense back up player I believe. They can move Bryson to Amerks maybe but I don't think it can be a two contract. Either way Krebs is the Backup and can't play Wing. To me, he is Gone. Better off with Biro right now. or another Amerk or two.

• Disagree 1

5 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Kinda like Buffalo and the WR group

Good observation.  The Bills are going to line up with two TEs and at least three WRs, all 6' 4" or taller. None of them are blazing fast but the Bills are building for mass and power.  

Maybe the memo went out to all or Pegulaland.

• Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Think Girls

Okay, okay, I think I might have it now. You take your girl to go "Schwing Dancing", which I assumed was a take on the popular 1920s Swing Dancing. All clear now folks. I believe I am on the trolley and understanding the core concept in its entirety.

• Haha (+1) 3

Top 6 Forward added Starting Roster This is so people understand what happens to players on the Roster now

Tage  Tuch  Peterka  See no smart reason to change this unless a stud is added

Quinn  Cozens  Nick Foligno/Alex Iafallo/Sam Bennett  one of these guys and knocks Benson to 3rd String

Benson  McLeod  Zucker

Malenstyn  Lafferty  Aube-Kubel

Dahlin  Power

Bo Byram  Ryan Johnson

Samuelson  Joki

Krebs, Greenway, Clifton, Bryson extras. Only 3 can stay for Sabres 

There is Plenty of help in Amerks too. Rousek, Rosen, Kulich are all almost ready. Biro is available too with Claque.

Waiting on Krebs for?????

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

There’s certainly a LOT of “how could you do this?” On twitter, but I think this thread has a better handle on the trade

time will tell 

I first saw it on Instagram, of all platforms. The comments there were a one-sided deluge of "fire Adams!" tropes. So I came here, and I'm pleasantly surprised by the board's measured optimism.

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I like the player, have a hard time with the trade based on the Twitter and HfBoards crucifying us and comparing it to Erat for Forsburg. 

Granted had we done nothing we’d still be ridiculed just more quietly. I’m not entirely sure where Savoie would have fit long term but I wish we could have at least got a little more for him. 

Appreciate the honesty here about your reaction to the initial social media "consensus" response, which is predictably negative, but then you show your work as you think through things logically and strive for some sober truth. I'm not easily swayed by internet reply-guys, but can absolutely appreciate the emotional noise it creates for so many. Buffalo is easy to root for when things trend up, and even easier to drag when things don't. 

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.