Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

50 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch

Zucker-Cozens-Quinn

Benson-McLeod-Greenway

Malenstyn-Rafferty-Aube-Kubel

Krebs

I suppose Krebs could beat out Malenstyn or Rafferty. Either way, he's decent insurance. 

Gerry Rafferty? Not the guy I thought we signed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Rasmus_ said:

If they are in cap trouble you dont give up your best prospect for a tweener who has never had more than 30 points in Edmonton and who is as soft as a babies diaper.

You seriously have the worst takes of any poster on this forum.  Yikes.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PerreaultForever said:

Fair enough. I think they are thinking Savoie is a maybe top 6 in the future and McLeod is nothing more than an easily replaced bottom 6er. But since we have the prospects to burn and we needed the bottom 6er, maybe it's good for both sides. 

Does make me think that Adams is on the clock though. His job likely depends on us making the playoffs. 

Definitely depends on us making playoffs.  None of these players gotten or HC does any good if we are NOT in the Playoffs.

Why, you may see some players off this Roster that were in Top 9 Gone with another Player Trade or Two.

Admas knows his Roster wasn't good enough and he has pieces to make it better. Doesn't matter the cost. That is what the Savoie trade just did. Opened Buffalo's Market up!

Other teams see we are serious about wanting to get better. That is all they can ask for! Actually maybe not, we also have Money!

After thinking it over and looking at everything. With the speed component, the player makes sense.  In addition Helenius is a more complete center.  I hate the asset management but we couldnt go into this season with Krebs as the third C.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I appreciate that Oiler fan’s sentiments. But as the replies note: The guy is 24 and soon to be 25 (not 23). And the Oilers are in a cap crunch — something had to give.

Whether he is 23, 24 or 25, the data does not change. 

He has very good away from two of the best players in the world. 

Savoie will probably look outstanding and put up quite a few points next to McDavid or Leon on His ELC 

McLeod is what the Sabres need next year, this could be a win/win for both teams 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Savoie will probably look outstanding and put up quite a few points next to McDavid or Leon on His ELC 

McLeod is what the Sabres need next year, this could be a win/win for both teams 

Why do you keep saying next year?

Good trade, GMKA has given me a little more hope than I had before today.  We're still too deep with prospects though and would like to see another trade involving Joki and some forward prospects for a proven RHD and/or top 6 guy.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Perfect for the 3rd line with guys with Grit next to him. Bet Benson and Zucker would do well with him.

Even with Savoie gone, our top forward prospects are Helenius, Kulich, Östlund, Wahlberg, Rosen, Neuchev, Ziemer and Poltapov.  How many guys do we actually need? 

Don't forget that Benson is younger than half those guys and JJP is only 6 months older than Rosen and Poltapov. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Good trade, GMKA has given me a little more hope than I had before today.  We're still too deep with prospects though and would like to see another trade involving Joki and some forward prospects for a proven RHD and/or top 6 guy.  

You can never be too deep with prospects.

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Even with Savoie gone, our top forward prospects are Helenius, Kulich, Östlund, Wahlberg, Rosen, Neuchev, Ziemer and Poltapov.  How many guys do we actually need? 

Don't forget that Benson is younger than half those guys and JJP is only 6 months older than Rosen and Poltapov. 

All of them.

• Thanks (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Definitely depends on us making playoffs.  None of these players gotten or HC does any good if we are NOT in the Playoffs.

Why, you may see some players off this Roster that were in Top 9 Gone with another Player Trade or Two.

Admas knows his Roster wasn't good enough and he has pieces to make it better. Doesn't matter the cost. That is what the Savoie trade just did. Opened Buffalo's Market up!

Other teams see we are serious about wanting to get better. That is all they can ask for! Actually maybe not, we also have Money!

The money is the thing that's been annoying me so far. If we aren't spending to the cap we aren't competing. (We don't even have anybody on LTIR :)) Adams had more leverage to take on a contract for prospects before free agency than he does now. Now I'm not talking a complete garbage contract, but one that's maybe a little too high or too long or just hampers a cap squeezed team that waned to go another way. Like maybe the way the Pens unloaded Reilly or some team like Vegas before they decided they had to move on from Marchessault and so on. 

So he can still do it, but I'm not sure there's a trade partner for that out there any more.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Krebs vs McLeod.

Player 1 - 219 gms 32g 43a 75pts

Player 2 - 215 gms 20g 46a 66pts

Need to consider face off percentage, which appears to be an important part of acquiring McLeod

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The money is the thing that's been annoying me so far. If we aren't spending to the cap we aren't competing. (We don't even have anybody on LTIR :)) Adams had more leverage to take on a contract for prospects before free agency than he does now. Now I'm not talking a complete garbage contract, but one that's maybe a little too high or too long or just hampers a cap squeezed team that waned to go another way. Like maybe the way the Pens unloaded Reilly or some team like Vegas before they decided they had to move on from Marchessault and so on. 

So he can still do it, but I'm not sure there's a trade partner for that out there any more.

Well, I don't see them taking on a guy who can't play just to burn some cap space and cash in exchange for a draft pick, but I think they are still very interested in getting a good player that a team has to move for cap/contract reasons -- which I think is kinda what just happened with the Oilers and McLeod and what might still happen with the Jets and Ehlers.

I think there are still a few -- but only a few -- teams with cap/contract issues that are reasonably likely to result in good forwards moving.  I think KA will be involved in those discussions if he likes the player.

I had no interest in giving a questionable UFA a long-term contract, which is what it took to get most of the UFA top-6 forwards.

Still, I too would like to see the financial commitment unquestionably being there, and with them still well below the cap, we can't really say that yet.

Ftr. I don't agree that a top 10 pick has to make the NHL in their d+2 and contribute. Jack Quinn didn't for example. That said, I think Savioe being great in the WHL at 20 needs to be taken with a grain of salt. 

We'll just have to see how it all shakes out. 

6 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

Need to consider face off percentage, which appears to be an important part of acquiring McLeod

Hits, EV pts, XGF @ EV, Faceoff %, Blocks, PK skills, speed, size takeaways, etc are just a small sample of the differentiating stats that factor into who plays where and when.  McLeod is definitely the favorite to win the 3C job, but I was just showing how close the counting stats were between the 2 players.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I guess Adams has thoughts in line with mine that Savoie just isn't big enough to make an NHL impact (so why do we draft them???)

To trade them for other players you need.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I don't see them taking on a guy who can't play just to burn some cap space and cash in exchange for a draft pick, but I think they are still very interested in getting a good player that a team has to move for cap/contract reasons -- which I think is kinda what just happened with the Oilers and McLeod and what might still happen with the Jets and Ehlers.

I think there are still a few -- but only a few -- teams with cap/contract issues that are reasonably likely to result in good forwards moving.  I think KA will be involved in those discussions if he likes the player.

I had no interest in giving a questionable UFA a long-term contract, which is what it took to get most of the UFA top-6 forwards.

Still, I too would like to see the financial commitment unquestionably being there, and with them still well below the cap, we can't really say that yet.

No that's not what I'm saying. Not a guy who "can't play", that's the move on a rebuild where you take crap to get picks. NO, we should be past that. I meant a team that was cap tight but maybe wanted a free agent or signing one of their own free agents and so had to reluctantly move somebody from a position of depth and strength to make room. Not a bad player, just one they could afford to lose from their roster. 

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

To trade them for other players you need.

I doubt that was the plan. I am glad however that they are not still stocking the cupboard, the cupboard is overflowing. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.