Sabres opening Day line up 2023

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Peterka-Cozens-Olofsson

Greenway-Mittelstadt-Benson

Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo

Dahlin-Samuelsson

Power-Jokiharju

Clifton-E. Johnson

Could be as many as 6 new faces in the forward ranks. Maybe two on D.  That’s meaningful turnover.  Skinner and Mitts look better than their replacements, on paper. Maybe another move with Joki or another Defenseman.  

curiosity GIF

Peterka-Thompson-Tuch

Zucker-Cozens-Quinn

Benson-McLeod-Greenway

Malenstyn-Rafferty-Aube-Kubel

Krebs

I suppose Krebs could beat out Malenstyn or Rafferty. Either way, he's decent insurance. 

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5619075/2024/07/05/oilers-ryan-mcleod-sabres-trade/

McLeod failed to record a point in the first 14 games of the Oilers’ playoff run, resulting in him being scratched for Game 3 of the Western Conference Final. He responded with four goals in his last 10 games before Edmonton was eliminated in Game 7 of the Final.

He’s a solid defensive player, something that’s particularly noticeable when he plays his most comfortable and preferred position of center.

He played a prominent role on the penalty kill, which allowed just four goals in the playoffs, mostly used on third forward duo alongside Warren Foegele — who signed with the Los Angeles Kings in free agency.

McLeod’s best production this past season came at left wing on a line with Foegele and Leon Draisaitl. He must work on playing more on the interior and driving to the net, aspects coaches in the organization have been harping on him to do since he turned pro in 2019.

A perfect Sabre. 🙂

McLeod and Krebs can play both center and wing.  McLeod's best offense came playing higher in the lineup.  This move takes the pressure off Krebs to immediately be productive as the 3C and gives him a chance to win a job as the 4C or a 3/4 winger.  When injuries occur, you will see McLeod move to wing and allow Lafferty or Krebs to step up into the 3C role.

This trade was about creating internal competition, improving the PK and getting a controlled younger player with 3 years of NHL experience and 50+ games of playoff experience.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Krebs vs McLeod.

Player 1 - 219 gms 32g 43a 75pts

Player 2 - 215 gms 20g 46a 66pts

Bet you wanted Okposo and Girg to stay too. Krebs has shown us little. Time to go

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Krebs vs McLeod.

Player 1 - 219 gms 32g 43a 75pts

Player 2 - 215 gms 20g 46a 66pts

The key difference here: McLeod is trending up: .29 ppg, .4 ppg, .38 ppg (with much better analytics). Meanwhile Krebs is trending down: .46 ppg, .35 ppg, .21 ppg. Krebs is a year younger, so maybe he puts it together soon, but so far he’s been getting worse the longer he’s been in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

49 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Let’s be serious here. Your team is down by 1 in the 2nd period of game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Series is tied 3-3. Are you going to put in the best player on the planet or his not insignificant side kick, or are you going to put in McLeod. These numbers are meaningless. 

Yes yes - I know.  I was not posting those as some indictment of him.  We know what Edmonton was doing.  McDavid had to play almost the whole 3rd period.  

I mean you read the rest of what I said right?

45 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Aube-Kubel is the one of the best if not the best  defensive forward on the team. 

You want him playing every game 

People are calling for Krebs

1 minute ago, TRIP65 said:

Bet you wanted Okposo and Girg to stay too. Krebs has shown us little. Time to go

No I wanted KO and Z gone before 2023/24.  I have also advocated for launching Krebs into space.  However, I am trying to look at the team objectively with an eye toward how Adams views the roster.  Krebs actually had 100+ hits last year, has good to excellent passing skills and position flexibility.  If you are KA and trying to build a team with position flexibility than simply tossing Krebs into the dumpster is not what Adams would do.  Also he is cheap talent.  His Q-offer is 832K and he has no leverage.  If Krebs put in the work he promised this off-season he can still have a viable NHL career.  Remember Curtis Lazar had a similar pedigree to Krebs and ultimately has carved out a career as an effective depth forward.

6 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

The key difference here: McLeod is trending up: .29 ppg, .4 ppg, .38 ppg (with much better analytics). Meanwhile Krebs is trending down: .46 ppg, .35 ppg, .21 ppg. Krebs is a year younger, so maybe he puts it together soon, but so far he’s been getting worse the longer he’s been in the league. 

I agree with you, but I was surprised by how close their numbers were.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

First trade made where I thought Adams did something he needed using a Prospect he really Valued and got a Very Good return.

Hope this works out for BOTH Clubs cause I really would have liked to see Savoie make it Big for the Sabres.

Now it will be McLeod. Don't seem to miss Middlestat so much either now. Size Matters

And how 

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

has good to excellent passing skills

A series of words that have never been written about Peyton Krebs.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Sabres Twitter obsessed with “winning the trade” or at least getting what they deem fair value.

There should be a program where Twitter accounts like that just get spammed with replies from @PASabreFan

You've been empowered, @PASabreFan.  Go do great things.

I watch a lot of the Oilers as they're my second favorite team - I have no problem with this trade. McCleod is a solid 3C. He's a very good penalty killer, lightning fast, and a decent defender. Wins a decent amount of faceoffs. His offensive game can be frustrating and he's not physical. There may still be some untapped offensive potential. Savioe was another undersized skill guy and we have no idea what he's going to be in the NHL. With our cupboard stocked how it is, you make that trade. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I don't understand the dislike for Greenway.  He has shown he can be a force. Do not want to move him 

Who is saying they don't like Greenway. Getting these other Players that play Penalty kill has pushed Greenway down the Lineup. Greenway doesn't score much, isn't really a checker, doesn't go to the net a lot. 4th line player at best with McLeod here who is a very good two way player.

Greenway would be moved if we add more players, our Lineup is full.

You wouldn't want to add a Sam Bennett, Nick Foligno, Alex Iafallo to 1-2nd line?

That moves Benson down. Have Zucker here. So 3rd Line now is Benson  McLeod  Zucker

4th line is Malenstyn  Lafferty  Aube Kubel

Where would Greenway fit, think he wants to be an Extra? Also got to be movement from Amerks up, Logged jammed

Got Krebs, Greenway sitting.

Numbers game. Rather add better and new players since we have been losing for 13 years. Greenway really hasn't made us look better except a couple games and Penalty Kill, we now have added Malenstyn, Lafferty, Aube-Kubel and Even Zucker for that. I wouldn't give Greenway away.

I say NEXT PLAYER come forward to make Top 6 better! Only place needing Veteran help!

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Your not getting it. I know Krebs isn't getting you anything but a spot to move another play off gametime Roster.

Our Roster is full, we have extra Defenseman right now and maybe a 3rd Goalie again., LOL!

2nd line right now has Zucker or Benson. Other goes to 3rd line with Greenway McLeod

4th line is set with  Malenstyn  Lafferty Aube-Kubel/Krebs

None of the Top 9 are going to 4th line unless you want Greenway there and that is Krebs gone then. That puts Benson on 3rd line.

Someone has to go. No way a Amerk doesn't make team either. Must to keep things moving.

Running out of Roster unless an Injury bug happens

You do know there are 23 roster spots?   If you think the roster is full you don’t get it.  Lots can happen and things can change.

Your insistence that “an Amerk” is automatically is making the team is based on nothing tangible.  

• Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, RochesterExpat said:

The biggest issue I see at this point is any injury in the top six is going to create one massive glaring hole in the roster.

This has been my issue since Casey was moved.  He was built-in depth for the top six already on the roster.  On the other had, We haven't seen how McLeod or any of the other acquisitions play under Lindy.  That, and one of Lindy's talents is line adjustments. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No I wanted KO and Z gone before 2023/24.  I have also advocated for launching Krebs into space.  However, I am trying to look at the team objectively with an eye toward how Adams views the roster.  Krebs actually had 100+ hits last year, has good to excellent passing skills and position flexibility.  If you are KA and trying to build a team with position flexibility than simply tossing Krebs into the dumpster is not what Adams would do.  Also he is cheap talent.  His Q-offer is 832K and he has no leverage.  If Krebs put in the work he promised this off-season he can still have a viable NHL career.  Remember Curtis Lazar had a similar pedigree to Krebs and ultimately has carved out a career as an effective depth forward.

I agree with you, but I was surprised by how close their numbers were.

Krebs can not play Wing, Sabres do not have a Money Issue. We have been losing with guys like Krebs. Can't wait forever for a guy to make it. Krebs hits will be a brush off for guys like Malenstyn, McLeod, Zucker, Aube-Kubel, Lafferty. Why they were brought in. That tells you what Adams thinks of Krebs. Brought 3 possible Centers in that group who also play Wing well.

21 minutes ago, inkman said:

And how 

McLeod plays good defense 6'3".  He can also play Wing. Krebs can't. Good on PK. We also got Lafferty and Zucker who offer the same thing and a bit more Grit. Our Center Position/Extra Winger is filled. Still thinking too, Kulich has a shot in Training camp. Hopefully he got Bigger cause it will be a Rough Camp now.

21 minutes ago, SDS said:

A series of words that have never been written about Peyton Krebs.

Too hesitant

15 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

I watch a lot of the Oilers as they're my second favorite team - I have no problem with this trade. McCleod is a solid 3C. He's a very good penalty killer, lightning fast, and a decent defender. Wins a decent amount of faceoffs. His offensive game can be frustrating and he's not physical. There may still be some untapped offensive potential. Savioe was another undersized skill guy and we have no idea what he's going to be in the NHL. With our cupboard stocked how it is, you make that trade. 

We have Gritty guys now for 3rd line who will go to the net like Zucker. McLeod won't have to be the "Tough Guy"

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

They are under the assumption that Savoie will become a good top 6 forward....which is extremely unknown at this point.

I saw Oiler fans elsewhere saying we will love McLeod for his skating, work ethic and PK 

Fair enough. I think they are thinking Savoie is a maybe top 6 in the future and McLeod is nothing more than an easily replaced bottom 6er. But since we have the prospects to burn and we needed the bottom 6er, maybe it's good for both sides. 

Does make me think that Adams is on the clock though. His job likely depends on us making the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Fine, I'll do it.

Edmonton realized that more ex-Sabres gives you better odds to win the Cup. Kane wasn't enough against the superior Panthers numbers.

First next ex-Sabres to win a Cup could be: Kane, Skinner, and Savoie.

Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

Given where he was picked in the draft, I would have expected that Savoie would become a top six forward.  I understand that we did receive some value back, but it is disappointing on a number of levels, including that the organization soured on him before he could start full-time with the Amerks (or Sabres).  Makes me wonder about the front office's ability to assess draft eligible players and overall drafting skills.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

We have Gritty guys now for 3rd line who will go to the net like Zucker. McLeod won't have to be the "Tough Guy"

Not saying he will need to be, just that it's not currently a part of his game. I think it's a good trade.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.