Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

He was a positive +\- player who played with bad linemates and tried to shutdown things away from all the talent on his team.  He didn’t allow a goal against on the PK the entire playoffs

Oilers fans are just looking for outs 

I don’t think so. I think he’s just one of those guys where the public focus turned more to his flaws than his strengths.

Every fan base has them and many go on to good things. Buffalo has had more than its share, as the Panthers reminded us again this spring.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/5/2024 at 4:27 PM, Flashsabre said:

Totally out of left field and I really like it.

Half the time I watched the Oilers play I would think McLeod was McDavid on the ice. He is that fast. Age fits timeline too.

Great 3C. Size, great wheels, good defensively, can chip in offensively. Still think another move is coming. Where does Krebs fit in?  Maybe an Ehlers deal is coming.

Krebs is now where he should be, a healthy scratch who now has to show he's worthy of even a 4th line C position instead of being handed a job without earning it. I'm not sure if he's eligible for the AHL or not.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Combing the internet, it’s pretty clear McLeod was a bit of a whipping boy for the Oilers fan base.

Looks like he hit a trifecta of criteria most should recognize from our own fan base:

• Flashed enough early to get people excited, stuck around long enough without breaking through
  • Showed up on the screen on replays of the other team scoring goals
  • Passed up opportunities to hit people

Some people might be expecting a shutdown guy, but it sounds like strength of his game is less own-zone coverage and more neutral zone transition: backcheck, entries and exits.

Well, I'm not expecting much in the way of punishing physical play in the d-zone, but I am expecting McLeod to use that speed in a 200-foot game to be in the right place on the backcheck and disrupt the opposing offense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I'm not expecting much in the way of punishing physical play in the d-zone, but I am expecting McLeod to use that speed in a 200-foot game to be in the right place on the backcheck and disrupt the opposing offense.

We can use a lot more of that...when the Sabres actually played that way the other team could barely get shots on net against them.

There were a few games against good teams where they used their speed to back check and teams had single digit shot totals well into the 3rd period. The game in Winnipeg was one I distinctly remember and there was another I think maybe against Dallas?

• Like (+1) 2

Some re-draft thoughts re: McLeod and Savoie. 

McLeod went 40th in 2018. He is 17th in games played and points from that class.  If 2018 was redrafted he is most definitely a 1st rd pick, maybe top 25. 

Savoie went 9th. I think his injury history and his failure to rise to the occasion on the biggest stages since (underwhelming performances in the World Juniors and Mem Cup) have lowered his stock. He’s still a first rounder on redraft, but might go late teens or maybe low 20’s  

I’ve seen some twitter stuff about the Oilers getting a 9th oa for a 40th oa. This is quite misleading, though Savoie still has the much higher ceiling if he hits. 

Also, a player who is linked to this trade by the impact it has on his roster position is Krebs.  He was 17th in the 2019 draft  he is 6th in GP and 16th in points in the class. Way too soon to call him a bust, though perhaps not too soon to say he isn’t likely to hit as high as what we hoped when considering he was a centre-piece of the Eichel trade. 

• Like (+1) 4

13 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I’m gonna disagree.  I think Greenway is very effective defensively, and on the PK.  He has a physical side to his game.  His playing speed is fast enough and it may be complimentary to the others.  I want to keep him and see.  

Also has a very long reach with that stick and can be sneaky effective offensively although it seems to come in spurts where he will score a few goals in a game and then nothing for 15 games.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

Some re-draft thoughts re: McLeod and Savoie. 

McLeod went 40th in 2018. He is 17th in games played and points from that class.  If 2018 was redrafted he is most definitely a 1st rd pick, maybe top 25. 

Savoie went 9th. I think his injury history and his failure to rise to the occasion on the biggest stages since (underwhelming performances in the World Juniors and Mem Cup) have lowered his stock. He’s still a first rounder on redraft, but might go late teens or maybe low 20’s  

I’ve seen some twitter stuff about the Oilers getting a 9th oa for a 40th oa. This is quite misleading, though Savoie still has the much higher ceiling if he hits. 

Also, a player who is linked to this trade by the impact it has on his roster position is Krebs.  He was 17th in the 2019 draft  he is 6th in GP and 16th in points in the class. Way too soon to call him a bust, though perhaps not too soon to say he isn’t likely to hit as high as what we hoped when considering he was a centre-piece of the Eichel trade. 

Krebs was a part of a weak draft though

8 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Krebs was a part of a weak draft though

I’m not sure. I think 2018 and 2019 are considered average draft classes. Krebs with 66 points is 16th in scoring in the 2019 class. McLeod with 75 points is 17th from the year earlier. That’s not a scientific evaluation, but if I would bet Krebs will have more than 75 points when this year is over. 

• Like (+1) 1

Interesting how the Eulers seem to have come to the conclusion the reason they couldn't get that 1 extra win was not enough firepower (at least based on their Sabre related moves).  Foegele out as a FA; Skinner in.  McLeod out; Savoie in.

Really not the conclusion most outsiders would've come to IMHO.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Oilers fans are just looking for outs 

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

I don’t think so. I think he’s just one of those guys where the public focus turned more to his flaws than his strengths.

With the Oilers and the focus on McDavid and scoring, I can see what the fan base would be sour on a guy that doesn't score that much and not look for his other talents.

3 minutes ago, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

pay Skinner a boatload of cash.

Incorrect.  They're only paying him $3 million.

The Sabres bought him out; he'll be on the Sabres' books for some time.

Still wouldn't be surprised to see 1 more move later this summer, but if this is the roster, as others had mentioned that Krebs was being discussed as a winger & with how compared to the rest of the bottom 6 Greenway skates like his blades are rusted; starting to wonder too if it isn't Greenway as the 13th F and Krebs clinging to that 3W spot.

It does give Ruff some flexibility as they are very different players.

(And again, still believe Adams is trying to work 1 more deal that'd put Benson onto the 3rd line & both Krebs & Greenway into the pressbox or out the door.)

Edited by Taro T
Fixed typo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I’m gonna disagree.  I think Greenway is very effective defensively, and on the PK.  He has a physical side to his game.  His playing speed is fast enough and it may be complimentary to the others.  I want to keep him and see.  

He's a good 3rd line player.  I agree, I think he remains there to start the season as 3rd line LW 

40 minutes ago, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

In this offseason summary, the Oilers get Jeff Skinner and Matt Savoie from the Sabres and Buffalo gets Ryan McLeod and a bag of pucks and still has to pay Skinner a boatload of cash. Kevyn Adams worked his magic! 

I would have take less than a bag of picks to get rid of Skinner and saving $7.4 million on the cap 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Greenway skates like his blades are rusted; starting to wonder too if it isn't Greenway as the 13th F

I was reflexively defending Greenway until today. Because it occurred to me: Greenway was brought in as a Granato guy. Ruff may not have much use for him?

Otoh, Greenway’s PK numbers were quite good, were they not?

49 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I was reflexively defending Greenway until today. Because it occurred to me: Greenway was brought in as a Granato guy. Ruff may not have much use for him?

Could see him being played against certain opponents & somebody else (Krebs) getting different ones.

Ruff used to rotate the bottom the lineup guys in & out depending on the opponent.  Don't see a reason for that to not happen again.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=pk&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&team=BUF&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

Sabres PK stats above from Natural Stat Trick.  Greenway had the best GA/60 rate than any Sabre with significant minutes.  I expect McLeod and Beck to take the lion share of minutes but the question is who are the forwards slotted for 3 & 4.  Last year it was Cozens and Tuch.  If Greenway is not part of a trade than I would presume he gets third TOI leaving the 4 spot open.  I am more concerned about the deployment of Defensemen.  With Mules injury, Power took an excessive number of minutes and wasn’t very good.  No new faces, so what’s the plan there?  Clifton and Mule?  Dahlin and Power.  Hope Samuelsson stays healthy? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Interesting how the Eulers seem to have come to the conclusion the reason they couldn't get that 1 extra win was not enough firepower (at least based on their Sabre related moves).  Foegele out as a FA; Skinner in.  McLeod out; Savoie in.

Really not the conclusion most outsiders would've come to IMHO.

You make a keen observation about an organization objectively evaluating their team and season. The penetrating questions were asked: What happened and what do we have to do differently to get across the finish line. Edmonton recognized that scoring had to be spread out more widely beyond the big two. They took decisive actions to make the corrections. That's good management. 

45 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/playerteams.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=2&sit=pk&score=all&stdoi=oi&rate=n&team=BUF&pos=S&loc=B&toi=0&gpfilt=none&fd=&td=&tgp=410&lines=single&draftteam=ALL

Sabres PK stats above from Natural Stat Trick.  Greenway had the best GA/60 rate than any Sabre with significant minutes.  I expect McLeod and Beck to take the lion share of minutes but the question is who are the forwards slotted for 3 & 4.  Last year it was Cozens and Tuch.  If Greenway is not part of a trade than I would presume he gets third TOI leaving the 4 spot open.  I am more concerned about the deployment of Defensemen.  With Mules injury, Power took an excessive number of minutes and wasn’t very good.  No new faces, so what’s the plan there?  Clifton and Mule?  Dahlin and Power.  Hope Samuelsson stays healthy? 

Yeah, what Lindy does with both special teams really fascinates me.

I liked Greenway and Cozens in that role last year, and I like Tuch there as well.

But the Sabres added a ton of guys who have done that job elsewhere and done it well.

Samuelsson will be the key guy on the back end. I disagree a bit on Power. I thought he grew into the role as they fed him more minutes as the season progressed.

He has the length and hockey IQ to excel in the role as he gains experience.

Clifton would be the 3rd and I'd go with Dahlin as #4. Donnie prefered to save him for more 5-on5 minutes, but I think Byram's presence should ease that need somewhat.

Lindy has a history of balanced deployment in terms of minutes, so it will be interesting to see where that goes.

• Like (+1) 1