Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

I recall McLeod’s name mentioned a few times in the playoffs and that’s all I know. 

He was listed as 71st in Lady Byng voting on hockey reference so he’s likely not a dominant physical player. But his face off wins could be big (though some don’t think that’s a thing). 

Disappointed to lose Savoie but who knows what he’d have become. I will defer to others on this trade. Look forward to hearing what Baker has to say. 

It’s very possible Adams felt his job was on the line if he didn’t make the playoffs this year, so there’s that. But making the playoffs and playing well could draw a few better free agents. 

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

I don’t trust a single word uttered IN winnipeg 

Typed either. I haven’t believed a single word you’ve written in years.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

And you want us to believe you?

lol

Beat me to it.😂

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

An interesting piece in this regard is Greenway. Not fast. Presumably acquired purely for Granato 

This is the FUNNIEST post about the trade dude lol. He’s literally explaining the mechanics of how all trades work

First, we had to determine what the *hole* is. Then, they had to *identify players who filled that hole.*

now, this bit is tricky. You can’t select the guys who DON’T address the holes. You have to keep your eyes on the prize 

3000 likes 

I have no idea who Matt Kopnak is, but it seems if it comes from a Twitter link, this opinion is somehow better, or more informed, than the takes on here. But, I’m guilty of it. Sometimes I will scroll down to what Twitter is saying because somehow they have been better vetted, but this isn’t the case a lot of the times. 

13 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I know many disagree with me, but I think Greenway may be the odd man out.  They obviously want guys who are fast, VERY fast on those bottom 2 lines (all are except for Zucker and Zucker is "OK").  Greenway doesn't fit.  Also, I know its not the main reason Skinner is gone, but he was one of the slower forwards on the team (Skinner) and he's gone. 

There is just a chance Adams/Ruff for some reason want to put together one of the fastest skating teams in the league, at least the bottom 2 lines, and Greenway doesn't fit.. Plus he was brought in as one of 'Granato's guys'.

Again, he has a role and he has some good qualities, and I know a lot of people here like him....just to me it wouldn't be surprising if he isn't on the 3rd line, or even a regular on the 4th once the regular season starts.  I think he is going to have to have one of the best training camps ever to convince Ruff to be a regular in the lineup.

I’m gonna disagree.  I think Greenway is very effective defensively, and on the PK.  He has a physical side to his game.  His playing speed is fast enough and it may be complimentary to the others.  I want to keep him and see.  

• Like (+1) 3

I wonder if some of the sourness to Savoie was caused by the rumored night out he had with Krebs before his 1st NHL game. Not that it made him expendable but may have hurt his stock with the team seeing as Benson just blew past him when they likely expected the opposite.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I’m gonna disagree.  I think Greenway is very effective defensively, and on the PK.  He has a physical side to his game.  His playing speed is fast enough and it may be complimentary to the others.  I want to keep him and see.  

You disagree that he SHOULD be gone? or that he MIGHT be gone?  I didn't intend my post to say he SHOULD be gone, I'm at the very least for an open position in camp....my post was intended to say regardless of whether, myself, you, the fanbase wants him here, he might be the odd man out.  

I know nothing of this guy, but I like him.  

He has no upper teeth and plays without fakes in there.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Allen said:

So we shopped him?  

Maybe not.  It just means that was the prospect the Sabres were willing to part with, so they put it forward to prevent Edmonton from asking for Benson.

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I know nothing of this guy, but I like him.  

He has no upper teeth and plays without fakes in there.

Maybe not.  It just means that was the prospect the Sabres were willing to part with, so they put it forward to prevent Edmonton from asking for Benson.

Edmonton wouldn’t be asking for Benson for McLeod, Benson matched his career best in points as an 18 year old rookie. If they were asking for Benson, it means McLeod wasn’t really for sale.

• Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

You disagree that he SHOULD be gone? or that he MIGHT be gone?  I didn't intend my post to say he SHOULD be gone, I'm at the very least for an open position in camp....my post was intended to say regardless of whether, myself, you, the fanbase wants him here, he might be the odd man out.  

Should.  

He might be gone, sure. But I think he stays and fits the plan forward for now. 

Combing the internet, it’s pretty clear McLeod was a bit of a whipping boy for the Oilers fan base.

Looks like he hit a trifecta of criteria most should recognize from our own fan base:

• Flashed enough early to get people excited, stuck around long enough without breaking through
  • Showed up on the screen on replays of the other team scoring goals
  • Passed up opportunities to hit people

Some people might be expecting a shutdown guy, but it sounds like strength of his game is less own-zone coverage and more neutral zone transition: backcheck, entries and exits.

My favourite quote as a Sabres homer came from Athletic hockey analyst Thomas Drance.

• Thanks (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

My favourite quote as a Sabres homer came from Athletic hockey analyst Thomas Drance.

Thanks for that work.

I appreciate the comfort from Drance. But puzzling for the Oilers? I dunno. It’s a trade that seems to make sense for both teams — with both teams parting with “things” that they’d rather retain, but, on balance, felt they must in order to move forward as best they can.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Who cares?  Get the best assets you can.  They become trade capital.  Why all the hand wringing?

I think a lot of fans are too plugged into the NFL draft.  The NFL drafts mature prospects that are ready or nearly ready for NFL play.  The NHL drafts true prospects before a lot of them even need to shave and have to develop them into NHLers.  Not everyone an NHL team drafts is ever going to play on the team that drafted them.  They become assets that may play for the team, may be moved to another team to get a needed asset, or may not even pan out. 

Savoie is a good prospect but he still hasn't played more than handful of games in the AHL and in big tournaments has been overshadowed by allegedly lesser players.

LOL, right? It is similar to baseball. I recently went through all my sports cards from the early 90's - there were probably 300+ "top prospect" or "first round draft" cards between baseball and hockey and maybe ... 10 (?) made any sort of impact. The difference is both MLB and the NHL have very deep and established minor leagues so there is very little pressure when taking a first rounder. NBA allows drafting of teenagers, but the team had better be darned tootin' sure the kid can handle it because the set back for whiffing on a high 1st round pick is way worse. 

*on the prospect card note - I mean R2D2, Murray, and Rousek got "top guns" cards FFS.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Combing the internet, it’s pretty clear McLeod was a bit of a whipping boy for the Oilers fan base.

Looks like he hit a trifecta of criteria most should recognize from our own fan base:

• Flashed enough early to get people excited, stuck around long enough without breaking through
  • Showed up on the screen on replays of the other team scoring goals
  • Passed up opportunities to hit people

Some people might be expecting a shutdown guy, but it sounds like strength of his game is less own-zone coverage and more neutral zone transition: backcheck, entries and exits.

He was a positive +\- player who played with bad linemates and tried to shutdown things away from all the talent on his team.  He didn’t allow a goal against on the PK the entire playoffs

Oilers fans are just looking for outs 

Edited by triumph_communes