Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Something else that should not be discounted.

With Byram and McLeod they have two players well within the age range of the Sabres Core who have Stanley Cup Final experience. 

That should be beneficial to this team 

This is all a plus in my books. Their ages relate better to the core than EJ.
Hearing what making the playoffs is all about and the extra effort required for a deep run can’t be bad.

Aube-Kubel has a Cup and along with Zucker, Lafferty and Malenstyn they have combined for more than 150 games of playoff experience.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, French Collection said:

All good, glad to see you sporting the chicken hat again. Your days on the dark side are done, I hope.

I was in a dark place at the end of the season.

54 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Tom Webster reported the Jets rumored asking price was 14oa, two prospects and an unprotected 2025 1st. 

That’s way to high of a price 

Yeah, I don't think that Savoie, himself, would bring back a top six forward.  The return of a decent 3c is probably the right value for him.

That said, as much as I like McLeod, I still think Mittlestadt is a much better 3c (ducks). 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Yeah, I don't think that Savoie, himself, would bring back a top six forward.  The return of a decent 3c is probably the right value for him.

That said, as much as I like McLeod, I still think Mittlestadt is a much better 3c (ducks). 

Of course Mitts is better. He’s now a 2C on a SC contender. A problem would existed for us. We couldn’t pay him what he would’ve deserved, which was an identical contract to TNT/Cozens. He took less from Colorado because there wasn’t any precedent for paying out that much. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, kas23 said:

Of course Mitts is better. He’s now a 2C on a SC contender. A problem would existed for us. We couldn’t pay him what he would’ve deserved, which was an identical contract to TNT/Cozens. He took less from Colorado because there wasn’t any precedent for paying out that much. 

So he would have demanded more to play 3c for Buffalo than what he actually accepted to play 2c for Colorado?

Doesn't seem right, especially since Mittlestadt was one of the original 'wants to be here' guys.  We'll never know, though, because Casey claims that Adams never approached him about contract terms.

Anyway, can't wait to see what they are going to pay to re-sign Bryam, our left shot, puck-moving, PP1 defensemen when his deal is due.  Probably the same as the other two left shot, puck-moving, PP1 defenseman they already have on the roster.

11 minutes ago, Skibum said:

Savoie will now proceed to win multiple Cups with the Oil. 

I’d be surprised if the Oilers got back to the cup final anytime soon with how their roster is constructed. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I read (looked at) at what I considered to be an adventure book. It had a lot of naked pictures with busty girls demonstrating their flexibility. I was told that I was a naughty boy. I ended up being severely disciplined. It was well worth the punishment. 😀

Theres a benefit to having that in the spank bank.

• Haha (+1) 4

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I think people have skewed view on how many points most 3Cs actually produce around the league. 30 points is on the low end but it is in the window.

If we're actually getting 97th percentile defensive metrics I've seen he produces, along with 30 (maybe he can get to 40 with slightly elevated minutes sans McDri) that sounds pretty damn good for our 3C.  Way better production than last season.  Fact he's 24 and has cost control for a couple more years and I like the trade.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

My guess is the conversations were recent. Once Edm signed Henrique and went over the cap, Kevyn called Edm and asked for McLeod.  He probably offered Rosen.  Edm said no and asked for Savoie.  Kevyn said ok, but I need something else.  If he had slated Savoie to start in Rochester, getting a young player with decent AHL results but young enough to potentially have upside makes sense.

I don’t think this is an overpay. We saw how few centers changed teams this off-season by trade. There is value in youth, with experience, and cost control, especially when the player has some very marketable skills like speed and PK ability.  

Not to mention that everyone in the league knew the Oilers had to adjust for the cap so the Sabres weren't dealing with EDM in a bubble.  Their offer was going to have to be better than the next team.

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, jad1 said:

True.  But I'm very hopeful of Byram.  I mean, how do you fall completely off a cliff a year or two after being so dominant on a stanley cup run?  He's young and D seem to take longer to hit their peak.  It's July after a decent trade so my hopium is high but I can see him being a legit top 4 D which this team needs.  He's the perfect age with an awesome pedigree.  I know Mitts has turned into a nice player.  Lots of potential in Byram tho.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Derrico said:

True.  But I'm very hopeful of Byram.  I mean, how do you fall completely off a cliff a year or two after being so dominant on a stanley cup run?  He's young and D seem to take longer to hit their peak.  It's July after a decent trade so my hopium is high but I can see him being a legit top 4 D which this team needs.  He's the perfect age with an awesome pedigree.  I know Mitts has turned into a nice player.  Lots of potential in Byram tho.

Bryam has a lot of potential.  Problem is that he has the same skillset as Dahlin and Power.  To be successful on the Sabres he has to alter his play style to be complimentary to those guys.

From a roster-building perspective, Dahlin, Power, and Byram should be paired with a right-handed, stay-at-home defenseman.  Dahlin's play took a jump when he was paired with Samuelsson, not so much because Samuelsson was highly skilled, he just played his role well.

We'll see what Ruff can do to coach these three to play a complimentary style, but Byram isn't a great fit on the Sabres roster.  He's still maturing, but his ceiling is a #1 defenseman.  He won't hit that ceiling on the same roster as Dahlin and Power.

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Savoie was a castoff. He was being included in every trade proposal this summer. It’s obvious he didn’t fit Lindy’s profile even if he turns out as an NHLer. 

We have an identity now.  Fast. Krebs is a goner. 

An interesting piece in this regard is Greenway. Not fast. Presumably acquired purely for Granato 

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I like this perspective. The last two sentences hit the mark

This is the FUNNIEST post about the trade dude lol. He’s literally explaining the mechanics of how all trades work

First, we had to determine what the *hole* is. Then, they had to *identify players who filled that hole.*

now, this bit is tricky. You can’t select the guys who DON’T address the holes. You have to keep your eyes on the prize 

3000 likes 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I know many disagree with me, but I think Greenway may be the odd man out.  They obviously want guys who are fast, VERY fast on those bottom 2 lines (all are except for Zucker and Zucker is "OK").  Greenway doesn't fit.  Also, I know its not the main reason Skinner is gone, but he was one of the slower forwards on the team (Skinner) and he's gone. 

There is just a chance Adams/Ruff for some reason want to put together one of the fastest skating teams in the league, at least the bottom 2 lines, and Greenway doesn't fit.. Plus he was brought in as one of 'Granato's guys'.

Again, he has a role and he has some good qualities, and I know a lot of people here like him....just to me it wouldn't be surprising if he isn't on the 3rd line, or even a regular on the 4th once the regular season starts.  I think he is going to have to have one of the best training camps ever to convince Ruff to be a regular in the lineup.

Yes I mentioned Greenway in a post just now but you got there first. I see what you are saying 

7 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Now they just gotta work on @PASabreFan. Truly, the final boss.

If we trade Dahlin…

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Tom Webster reported the Jets rumored asking price was 14oa, two prospects and an unprotected 2025 1st. 

That’s way to high of a price 

After last offseason, I don’t trust a single word said about Winnipeg. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

The Sabres could have paid him if they wanted to.  They clearly did not want to.  I am not sure how anyone could have watched this team last year up to and beyond the trade deadline and say that bringing the band back together was going to be the right course of action.  Casey had value and so was traded.  I am not saying he was necessarily part of the problem, but clearly not part of the solution in their mind or they would have at least made an effort to discuss extension before trading him.  As for what he is worth, like all things, he is worth what someone is willing to pay him.  We will see whether last year was an aberration and high point  for him or his trend.  

8 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I know many disagree with me, but I think Greenway may be the odd man out.  They obviously want guys who are fast, VERY fast on those bottom 2 lines (all are except for Zucker and Zucker is "OK").  Greenway doesn't fit.  Also, I know its not the main reason Skinner is gone, but he was one of the slower forwards on the team (Skinner) and he's gone. 

There is just a chance Adams/Ruff for some reason want to put together one of the fastest skating teams in the league, at least the bottom 2 lines, and Greenway doesn't fit.. Plus he was brought in as one of 'Granato's guys'.

Again, he has a role and he has some good qualities, and I know a lot of people here like him....just to me it wouldn't be surprising if he isn't on the 3rd line, or even a regular on the 4th once the regular season starts.  I think he is going to have to have one of the best training camps ever to convince Ruff to be a regular in the lineup.

I'm 1 of those that disagree, although he doesn't fit the speed criteria I think his hitting game will pick up and should put up better numbers with better players around him imo. 28 points , +11  and has the physical presence when he wants to. I think the rest of these guys will bring the dog out of Greenway.

• Like (+1) 4