Trade: C Ryan McLeod - Oilers for Matt Savoie

2 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

McCleod only played 9 minutes in game 7 and was a minus 2. 

Let’s be serious here. Your team is down by 1 in the 2nd period of game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Series is tied 3-3. Are you going to put in the best player on the planet or his not insignificant side kick, or are you going to put in McLeod. These numbers are meaningless. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think the issue for some is, Savoie was ranked as our number 1 prospect, but this trade is a bit of a shock if it was so.  

It think it should serve as notice that while the Sabres have a lot of good prospects, they may not have any great ones.

The great prospects - Power, Quinn, Peterka, Benson, Levi - are already on the team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TRIP65 said:

Krebs would definitely need to be removed from Roster. The only other way is trade a player off Top 6 for another. Move Krebs and Greenway get a Top 6 guy.

How do you get Benson in otherwise. Zucker is definitely playing as is Lafferty and Malenstyn. These are your grit guys and Zucker can backup anyone on the Top 6 for a short period.

Roster is Full. May only be room for a Amerk on Bottom Line like Kulich over Aube-Kubel playing every game.

Aube-Kubel is the one of the best if not the best  defensive forward on the team. 

You want him playing every game 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

This team is a top 6 winger away from MAYBE being a competitive club if Ruff helps certain players take a step

At first I felt whatever toward this trade, but after researching it more and putting my ignorance aside this is a solid deal

props to Adams for doing it.   McLeod is an elite skater and very good PKer

The bottom 2 lines got a lot faster this off-season and better defensively 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

I was looking at an Oilers site and while here people are happy, there they are mostly saying how sorry they feel for Buffalo fans and how their temporary GM is killing it. I don't know why as I don't know McLeod all that well but go figure. 

They are under the assumption that Savoie will become a good top 6 forward....which is extremely unknown at this point.

I saw Oiler fans elsewhere saying we will love McLeod for his skating, work ethic and PK 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

@thorny

Yes, his brother along with Carter Hart and 3 others are part of the Canadian Jr sexual assault scandal.  His brother used to play for Lindy in NJ.  I raised Michael's name on another thread having forgotten that he was part of the scandal and has now been charged with sexual assault.

9 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Krebs would definitely need to be removed from Roster. The only other way is trade a player off Top 6 for another. Move Krebs and Greenway get a Top 6 guy.

How do you get Benson in otherwise. Zucker is definitely playing as is Lafferty and Malenstyn. These are your grit guys and Zucker can backup anyone on the Top 6 for a short period.

Roster is Full. May only be room for a Amerk on Bottom Line like Kulich over Aube-Kubel playing every game.

I know 100% Appert don't feel that way

Krebs does not definitively need to be removed.  Teams carry 13 or 14 forwards.   Now if he is package in trade fine, but it’s not a must to remove him.  Having some depth is ok too, injuries happen a lot.  He doesn’t cost anything and he is developing.  The competition might make him better.  

Why move Greenway?  He is an excellent defensive forward, is big and strong, good on the PK.  

• Agree 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

Krebs does not definitively need to be removed.  Teams carry 13 or 14 forwards.   Now if he is package in trade fine, but it’s not a must to remove him.  Having some depth is ok too, injuries happen a lot.  He doesn’t cost anything and he is developing.  The competition might make him better.  

Why move Greenway?  He is an excellent defensive forward, is big and strong, good on the PK.  

I don't understand the dislike for Greenway.  He has shown he can be a force. Do not want to move him 

• Agree 4

45 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Joki is making the same as Ceci so I don’t see anything there 

Ryan Johnson for Ceci, we need a true RH Defensman

We have other Defense Prospects for next year and after if needed.

Dahlin   Power

Bo Bynam  Cody Ceci

Samuelsson  Joki

Bryson  Clifton

Just now, Pimlach said:

I'd move Krebs and Greenway if it somehow was important to getting a Top 6 guy but otherwise Greenway is slow but still solid.

Just now, TRIP65 said:

Ryan Johnson for Ceci, we need a true RH Defensman

We have other Defense Prospects for next year and after if needed.

Dahlin   Power

Bo Bynam  Cody Ceci

Samuelsson  Joki

Bryson  Clifton

Ceci is terrible and I would offer a 7th for him

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

If you don't move either, where do you put your new Trade?

Just now, thewookie1 said:

I'd move Krebs and Greenway if it somehow was important to getting a Top 6 guy but otherwise Greenway is slow but still solid.

Edmonton went to the Cup and they quite like him. Need to move 3.5 million. I have read a bit about him and he wasn't good with only one of the pairings.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/3331580/2022/05/24/edmonton-oilers-cody-ceci-nhl-playoffs/

4 hours ago, Peter said:

This board is schizophrenic.

So many people were clamoring for a trade even if we had to overpay.

Now people are complaining that we overpaid.

I suppose the reactions here were to be expected.

Not really. One group was clamoring for a trade and they made their voices heard in the past.  

Another group was quiet then, they were happy because there was no over pay.

Now the group that wanted the trade is quiet (they got what they want) but the group that doesn't like overpaying is sounding off.

Schizophrenice not really....just different people speaking up when they do/don't get what 'their side' wants.

3 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Edmonton went to the Cup and they quite like him. Need to move 3.5 million. I have read a bit about him and he wasn't good with only one of the pairings.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/3331580/2022/05/24/edmonton-oilers-cody-ceci-nhl-playoffs/

He's the team whipping boy for Oilers fans and was the same in Toronto and Ottawa as well. Jokiharju is honestly better 

2 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

If you don't move either, where do you put your new Trade?

Depends on who you trade for doesn’t it?  Right now there is no new trade.  If Krebs is the person you want to trade you’re not getting much.   We don’t need a draft pick.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I don't want Greenway moved but right not Krebs isn't a guy playing, just backup. Greenway is a guy that could allow for a Top 6 pickup and Benson stays.

Adams is NOT keeping his pickups this year with Ruffs approval off Roster except maybe Aube-Kubel situationally.

Right now either Benson or Zucker are on second line. Greenway 3rd. so lets say Zucker is on third line. Greenway  McLeod  Benson

Bottom 3 are set.

Where does the new guy go?

Sabres opening Day line up 2023

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch

Peterka-Cozens-Olofsson

Greenway-Mittelstadt-Benson

Girgensons-Krebs-Okposo

Dahlin-Samuelsson

Power-Jokiharju

Clifton-E. Johnson

Could be as many as 6 new faces in the forward ranks. Maybe two on D.  That’s meaningful turnover.  Skinner and Mitts look better than their replacements, on paper. Maybe another move with Joki or another Defenseman.  

curiosity GIF

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Depends on who you trade for doesn’t it?  Right now there is no new trade.  If Krebs is the person you want to trade you’re not getting much.   We don’t need a draft pick.   

Your not getting it. I know Krebs isn't getting you anything but a spot to move another play off gametime Roster.

Our Roster is full, we have extra Defenseman right now and maybe a 3rd Goalie again., LOL!

2nd line right now has Zucker or Benson. Other goes to 3rd line with Greenway McLeod

4th line is set with  Malenstyn  Lafferty Aube-Kubel/Krebs

None of the Top 9 are going to 4th line unless you want Greenway there and that is Krebs gone then. That puts Benson on 3rd line.

Someone has to go. No way a Amerk doesn't make team either. Must to keep things moving.

Running out of Roster unless an Injury bug happens

4 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Don’t like giving up on Savoie before we even got to see him play in the pros. Would have rather given up Krebs and a prospect like Ostland.

I'd rather keep Ostland.

• Agree 1