OT: Happy Independence Day!!

Wyldnwoody44

Gearing up for Saturday, today may be the day, but work Friday for many had me push my annual Up Yours King George Day Celebration to Saturday.

Every year is an enlarged theme for the event. This year, I am making the Assembly Room, Independence Hall. 13 tables, situated historically as the room was on July 2nd, 1776. 13 Emerald green table cloths, 13 1776 dual quill inkwells (the ones currently in Assembly Room are the French ones for the Constitution), 13 candle holders and sticks, 13 regulation size copies of the Declaration of Independence.

Later in the day, I will dress in my George Washington costume, 2 of my party attendees will dress as continental soldiers, I will be holding the Bettsy Ross flag as we row across the lake delivering much needed Patron and Bourbon Supplies to are brethren neighbors guarding the other bank of the lake.

Then, as dusk settles, I will bring out the speakers, as the entire lake residents grow hush as they are now accustomed to my routine, and I play Max McLean's reading of the Declaration of Independence. Immediately at the end of his reading, a will fire a volley of eight 6" mortars and will continue the bombardment for near 2 hours!!!!

20240704_070043.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Gearing up for Saturday, today may be the day, but work Friday for many had me push my annual Up Yours King George Day Celebration to Saturday.

Every year is an enlarged theme for the event. This year, I am making the Assembly Room, Independence Hall. 13 tables, situated historically as the room was on July 2nd, 1776. 13 Emerald green table cloths, 13 1776 dual quill inkwells (the ones currently in Assembly Room are the French ones for the Constitution), 13 candle holders and sticks, 13 regulation size copies of the Declaration of Independence.

Later in the day, I will dress in my George Washington costume, 2 of my party attendees will dress as continental soldiers, I will be holding the Bettsy Ross flag as we row across the lake delivering much needed Patron and Bourbon Supplies to are brethren neighbors guarding the other bank of the lake.

Then, as dusk settles, I will bring out the speakers, as the entire lake residents grow hush as they are now accustomed to my routine, and I play Max McLean's reading of the Declaration of Independence. Immediately at the end of his reading, a will fire a volley of eight 6" mortars and will continue the bombardment for near 2 hours!!!!

20240704_070043.jpg

God Bless the USA!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Well it was one hell of a show. There were some changes. The wind prevented my plans to recreate the assembly room, but as with every day on the pond, it died down around 8pm as the earth cooled a little in our neck of the colonies.

I did dawn my George Washington costume and got 1 party attendee to be my boat rowing continental soldier. We set off across the lake and proceeded to hand supplies of patron to the parties on the opposite bank. We had tons of people out watching, laughing, smiling and of course, videoing the entire episode. The Ole costume doesn't fit quite the way it used to, but we made do. And it was fun for all, that's what it's all about, having the balls to put yourself out there and give others something to rally around, just like those in July of 1776 did 👍 

And the mortar barrage was.......simply put, a vast success.  I do love this country so much. Not because I'm a veteran, not because of a few drinks on a day in July, but because I am fully aware of the trials, tribulations and sacrifices of generations past, both the good, and not so good, to get us to join together.

So thank you Adams, Franklin, Jefferson, Hancock, Sherman, Dickinson and the rest........we are them that stand on your shoulders.

E Plurabus Unum 

Happy Independence Day!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1