OT: Things (mostly sports related) that you think are overrated

mjd1001

Not sure if anyone wants to add anything, but this started last night with a conversation with my wife. Talking about the Sabres.  Best players of all time on the team and Hasek was brought up. She was not traditionally a hockey fan and grew up in NY city so she doesn't know much about him.  So, I was showing her some old videos and highlights and it let me thinking to things that we might think are overrated in general, or in sports.  Quick spoiler, I do NOT think Hasek was overrated, just the opposite.

Overrated things in sports:

-Canada's opinion of itself in particular with hockey.  After our discussion I read some posts online (some new, some from a decade ago), watched some videos, read some articles..etc. When asked who is the greatest goalie of all time, or at least 'modern' history, the consensus around the world seems to be Hasek, with the EXCEPTION of writers/people out of Canada.  Anecdotally through my hour+ stint last night I'd say that 70% of articles/opinions I read from anywhere but Canada said Hasek #1.  Out of Canada though (articles, posts, etc), 80+ percent had him 3rd behind Roy and Brodeur.  Mind you, I wasn't looking for who was the 'most accomplished' goalie, simply the best. Canada seems to really not be able to separate their opinion of themselves and everything hockey that comes out of there from the opinions of everyone else.

Canada, you love hockey and you have lots of great players, but you overrate yourselves a tad bit sometime.

-Lewis Hamilton. For those who follow F1 racing. I think he is a great driver, he is certainly the most SUCCESSFUL driver, but fans of his (especially out of Great Britain, where he is from) will seemingly throw down with you if you even hint at the slightest that any other driver is even in the same zip code as him in terms of ability. Prost? Senna, Schumacher? Verstappen? Vettel? Alonso?  To most Hamilton (British) fans, COMBINE the ability of those guys and it still doesn't equa Hamilton.  They don't seem to be able to separate 'most wins' (due to best car on the grid, as is true with many of the greats) from best driver.

Lewis Hamilton fans, he is a great driver, but in your eyes overrated for sure.

-Miami. This isn't sports related, but I just got back from Florida again and I just don't get Miami. I've visited the city many times. I lived in Florida. I worked a bit in south Florida. We still own a house in Florida we rent out to a family member (despite me wanting to sell it) so I'm certainly very used to the area.  I just don't see the appeal. New England has some nicer beaches.  As much as I don't like Vegas, the nightlifte in Vegas (and the volume of it) blows south beach away to me. The city is kinda dirty. Museums are WAY down the list of quality compared to other cities.  At one point last week, I had a guy walk up to me downtown and start rapping in front of, then he put a paper cup in my face filled with coins and shook it...and the EXACT same thing happened 10 minutes later a few blocks away.  Oh, and we heard what seemed like Gunshots at 2pm in the afternoon not too far from downtown. We also travel to Charlotte, Columbus, and Boston a lot and we don't get any of that (not even close to it) in any of those places.

So Miami, you are VERY overrated.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The trend in farmers markets I'm seeing is fewer and fewer real farmers and more and more overpriced niche food vendors. Think organic omega-3 granola or all natural kombucha. 

I agree with that for sure.

On one hand it make it less of a 'farmers market'. On the other hand, it is more to look at and try....to me there are only so many people you can by a pint of tomatoes from.

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The trend in farmers markets I'm seeing is fewer and fewer real farmers and more and more overpriced niche food vendors. Think organic omega-3 granola or all natural kombucha. 

We don’t even bother selling at farmer markets anymore. Booth prices are too high for low margin items. The math only works if you’re doing a value add (i.e. making hot sauce instead of selling peppers, etc). 

1 minute ago, Jorcus said:

The summer olympics, 

100% agree. There seems to be more hype around it than the winter games.  I personally enjoy many of the sports in the winter games, but I can't even really think of one event in the Summer games I watch.  As a kid I used to like track and field events..but now...ehh.

49 minutes ago, Jorcus said:

The summer olympics, 

I barely watch them. There is usually more going on in the summer but there is also no major sport/event to pull me in.

The Winter Olympics appeal to me because I can relate to most of the sports. I also like that Canada has a higher medal count.

-French Canadians' opinion of themselves in relation to the rest of the world and especially the rest of Canada. Like seriously...maple syrup is great and all, but it's not that special and neither are you. WNY and places like the Adirondack region and Vermont have plenty of local Maple Syrup producers as well and nobody around here is walking around like they are Gods gift to the universe. Put your noses back down.

-Pizza in most other places outside of WNY. When I say other places have very low standards, I'm not joking. Most places "best" pizza spot wouldn't even crack the top 20 in WNY. Have lived in numerous other parts of the country and sampled pizza in many places we have visited and it's sad when people form those areas consider Domino's one of the best pizzas.

Now obviously I am not talking like places like NYC that have plenty of great locations or other such places. Seems to be more of a Midwest and South thing.

Part of a group called Pizzaholics on FB and there are some truly frightening looking creations that are being raved about that make school cafeteria pizza from the 80s look appealing. And lots of places serve "large" pizzas that are like our small pizzas here but cost more. Used to wonder why so many Buffalo pizza places ship pies around the country...now I know. Pretty much anyone who is from Buffalo/WNY and lives elsewhere now on there talks about how pizza is trash where they are at and how they are still looking for anything even close to what we have here.

IMO, it may be an unpopular opinion but our pizza might actually be better than our wings in WNY

-MLB...does anyone even go to games anymore or watch them on TV? Can't remember the last time I watched a few innings let alone an entire game. Perhaps if I need a good afternoon snooze I can put one on someday. Not surprising it's dropped to #3 in the US behind the NFL which is miles ahead of the NBA in 2nd which just passed baseball. I'd even be willing to bet College Football draws more interest.

Edited by Big Guava

6 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Farmers Markets. Always seems like a good idea on a Saturday morning.

Some of them are cool when they have other vendors and food places and it's more of an event...

The ones with just a few places selling overpriced local produce I could by in the stores coming from the same places for half price, I agree with.

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

Popcorn. The smell from the popcorn machines turns my stomach. 🤮 

Oh man...some of those flavored popcorns are amazingly good.

1 hour ago, Big Guava said:

-MLB...does anyone even go to games anymore or watch them on TV? Can't remember the last time I watched a few innings let alone an entire game. Perhaps if I need a good afternoon snooze I can put one on someday. Not surprising it's dropped to #3 in the US behind the NFL which is miles ahead of the NBA in 2nd which just passed baseball. I'd even be willing to bet College Football draws more interest.

As a kid, I snuck a small radio into my room at night so I could listen to Baseball games that started at 10 or 10:30 pm when my parents didn't want me to.  In my teens and 20's, I watched baseball almost every night.  In my early 30's, I may have been so busy that I couldn't watch every game with full attention, but it was on the TV, at least as background noise, 140-150 nights per year.

I'm in my later 40's now, and just in the last 5-7 years, I have totally, 100% stopped.  I like sports and watch sports, but all of a sudden have have zero interest in it. If I even see a game on TV, I might (once or twice a month) try to watch it and I can't even last 2-3 minutes and I think it is so awful and boring.

I have some theories, but I don't know why 100%. I was a huge baseball fan, I collected baseball cards, sticker books, played strat-o-matic baseball with anyone who would play as a kid, did all the video games....now...nothing. 

11 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

As a kid, I snuck a small radio into my room at night so I could listen to Baseball games that started at 10 or 10:30 pm when my parents didn't want me to.  In my teens and 20's, I watched baseball almost every night.  In my early 30's, I may have been so busy that I couldn't watch every game with full attention, but it was on the TV, at least as background noise, 140-150 nights per year.

I'm in my later 40's now, and just in the last 5-7 years, I have totally, 100% stopped.  I like sports and watch sports, but all of a sudden have have zero interest in it. If I even see a game on TV, I might (once or twice a month) try to watch it and I can't even last 2-3 minutes and I think it is so awful and boring.

I have some theories, but I don't know why 100%. I was a huge baseball fan, I collected baseball cards, sticker books, played strat-o-matic baseball with anyone who would play as a kid, did all the video games....now...nothing. 

Same with me...loved it as a kid, played it all the time, used to play 9 inning games with my friend where it was basically like home run derby, played video game baseball, Microleague baseball on the PC, NES Baseball Stars, Tommy Lasorda Baseball, etc...

Was a huge Mets fan(like my Mom) growing up and woke the house up screaming and yelling when they came back to win Game 6 in the 1986 World Series(Bill Buckner Game) even tho I should have been in bed hours before it ended.

Now, could care less other than just randomly checking the standings every month or so.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Don't say that...we are going to Paris(among other places) next month after the Olympics are over. 🤔

A lot of people like Paris. I guess it depends on what you're after. 

I just was not impressed. 

Go to Northern France, drive between Brittany and Normandy. St Malo, Mt St Michele, Giverny, etc. That's the jam. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1