Season "Memberships" on sale now?

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

WTF....is this some new fancy term they are trying out...Season "Memberships"?  Whoever came up with that one should be getting canned...

It’s likely the beginning of some marketing ploy to soften criticisms. 

instead of paying to watch an entertaining and successful product they’re likely trying to make people in the arena part of the team. People are quicker to go “that team stinks” than they are to say “we/I stink”.

It is stupid. Sell the team Terry!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

I think there is a growing trend among the 4 major leagues in NA to replace season ticket holder with season ticket member. 

Don’t know why…nor care why. 

Its a matter of ownership

Season Ticket Holder connotates that you "hold" the tickets for the season and that they are yours to do with as you wish.

Season Ticket Member connotates that you are a subscriber or follower of a certain product or service. It's mostly semantics but is certainly something that isn't special to the Sabres. 

The overall change is that, its the same with the Bills and NFL, they want as little secondary sales as possible of seasons. Effectively if you buy Sabres season tickets and were to break even on re-sale (I know its hopeful nigh insane notion) then although the team gains a small cut of the resale if done through an official ticket resale site; it's far harder to gain reliability and long term stability if your season ticket holders aren't actually at the games to be "wined and dined" Big companies are always the preferred customer as they aren't fickle like individuals and rarely, if ever, sell their tickets. Plus they can be highly counted on for future sales over the long term. Good or bad, high or low spending, the team itself doesn't matter as much as the "idea."    

51 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Season Ticket Holder connotates that you "hold" the tickets for the season and that they are yours to do with as you wish.

Season Ticket Member connotates that you are a subscriber or follower of a certain product or service. It's mostly semantics but is certainly something that isn't special to the Sabres. 

The overall change is that, its the same with the Bills and NFL, they want as little secondary sales as possible of seasons. Effectively if you buy Sabres season tickets and were to break even on re-sale (I know its hopeful nigh insane notion) then although the team gains a small cut of the resale if done through an official ticket resale site; it's far harder to gain reliability and long term stability if your season ticket holders aren't actually at the games to be "wined and dined" Big companies are always the preferred customer as they aren't fickle like individuals and rarely, if ever, sell their tickets. Plus they can be highly counted on for future sales over the long term. Good or bad, high or low spending, the team itself doesn't matter as much as the "idea."    

To your 1st point.  Well, sure, they try to say they're OUR Buffalo Sabres; but they can't lay that #### at OUR feet.  They're the Pegula's Sabres.  WE didn't hire Housley nor Krueger.  Ain't taking no responsibility for the debacle that has ensued.  😉 

To your 2nd.  Actually expect that they sell a lot more merchandise to the folks that AREN'T in the building every night.  If you only go to 2 games a year, you're probably in the Sabres Store at least 1 of those 2 times you show up and possibly both.  STHers don't go there more than a handful of times the whole year.

The IDEAL model is having a large STH base that is willing to have their own money tied up for months who then are willing to resell a significant (how significant, no data) portion of their games to other SABRE FANS.  Then they get a sold out building plus have a large portion of the crowd feeling they're doing something special and have the adrenaline rush and excitement/enthusiam that comes with that and which ideally has that enthusiam become contagious for the whole building.  And THAT transfers to the players (though they shouldn't need it) and eventually you have a positive feedback loop working.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Probably someone that get paid way too much money for what they do thought it was a great idea...just like Budweiser thought it was a great idea to run ads promoting their brand to transgenders which then alienated 95% of their drinkers to the point they boycotted it and cost them billions and they still haven't fully recovered from that blunder. Revenues still down 9% in the first quarter of this year which is a marked improvement of the 17% they were down in Q4 of 2023.

Obviously not many people are going to care about someone changing a name from Season Ticket Holder to Season Membership, but it's along the same vein.

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Probably someone that get paid way too much money for what they do thought it was a great idea...just like Budweiser thought it was a great idea to run ads promoting their brand to transgenders which then alienated 95% of their drinkers to the point they boycotted it and cost them billions and they still haven't fully recovered from that blunder. Revenues still down 9% in the first quarter of this year which is a marked improvement of the 17% they were down in Q4 of 2023.

Obviously not many people are going to care about someone changing a name from Season Ticket Holder to Season Membership, but it's along the same vein.

If you are hinting at catering advertising to the wrong demographic; I guess.

I was more so trying to state that it has more to due with the idea of stripping people of "ownership" into more of a subscription model.

6 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

Funny here in Vegas they are always pushing season tickets but you think Buffalo is bad, Vegas treats their season ticket holders like their players. Trust me as a former ticket holder and I have tons of hockey buddies that have given them up as well. They do one season ticket member event during the season to meet the players, usually you only get to meet a few players to get autographs and they give you a season ticket member box which includes a scarf, a pin or a fake ticket. They sometimes give us an adidas jersey but they did it by you getting 1 jersey per every two seats on the account. My buddy had 4 seats and got 2 jerseys. To me season tickets just aren’t worth it as they try to say your saving money but what I found, if you wanna see certain games most of the time you can get tickets cheaper even with the fees then what the season ticket holders are paying if you wait the day before or the day of the game to get them. Usually season ticket holders are selling their tickets cheaper than what they paid since they couldn’t go to that game. Yes, certain teams that doesn’t always work for but the majority of the time it does. Season tickets are a commitment with very little benefit to the holder!

That sounds much better than the ‘gifts’ and ‘exclusive events’ here.  Jersey?  We got a small puzzle.  Meet the player events?  We got to hear Adams and Meatballs from afar.  Pizza logs weren’t bad tho.  Good thing we’re here for the exciting brand of hockey anyways. 

50 minutes ago, Derrico said:

That sounds much better than the ‘gifts’ and ‘exclusive events’ here.  Jersey?  We got a small puzzle.  Meet the player events?  We got to hear Adams and Meatballs from afar.  Pizza logs weren’t bad tho.  Good thing we’re here for the exciting brand of hockey anyways. 

Wow, they do less there? These teams need to take care of your season ticket holders. A lot of friends of mine gave up their season tickets here in Vegas, because we all felt it simply isn’t worth it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.