The Sabres Prospect Pool 2024 Edition

LGR4GM

I was on an Oilers board and it looks Ike the bloom may be off the rose a bit with Savoie. They started their prospects tournament and apparently Oilers brass is saying he is not physical enough. He has played on the wing the first 2 games and fans are saying it is destroying his confidence and the development coach needs to be fired.

The “How could the Sabres make such a dumb trade” narrative might be dissipating.😁

I liked Savoie but we have enough Savoies. McLeod’s speed and size will fit nicely as a 3C with what Lindy wants to do. And I think people will be pleasantly surprised with Tullio in the AHL this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Without Lamoureux, Komarov stepped up, registering 50 points in just 38 games with the Voltigeurs to lead all QMJHL defensemen in points with 69 in 60 games.

At season’s end, he was named the QMJHL’s defenseman of the year. Still without Lamoureux, he then led the Voltigeurs to a QMJHL championship, winning his second consecutive title and, this time, QMJHL playoffs MVP with another 15 points in 19 games. Though he wasn’t able to also win back-to-back Memorial Cups, he’d finish his third and final year of junior with 86 points in 82 games split between the regular season, the playoffs and the Memorial Cup.

“(Remparts coaches) Patrick (Roy) and Benoit Desrosiers had done a really good job with him in Quebec and his progression there. And then when we got him, he just kind of took off,” Favreau said. “And he’s such a unique player as far as his hard skills away from the puck and then his soft skills with the puck and being able to make plays, and his vision. So when you combine all of that together, it made for an extremely great hockey player.”

In the end, Favreau thought Komarov was probably the team’s most valuable player and Lemay called him the biggest reason they won a QMJHL title.

“When we lost Lamoureux, it’s a good thing that by chance we went to get Komarov,” Lemay said. “With the loss of Lamoureux, we told all the D it was an opportunity to have a bigger role and he really did that.”

• Like (+1) 1

The player Lemay had scouted with the Jets had “really improved, slowly and surely.”

“You could see right from the start that the hockey sense was there, the compete was there, and the poise. He just needed to get stronger and get his legs under him, move quicker. And he had the size as well,” Lemay said of the Komarov he’d watched in his draft year. “So it was just a matter of time for him I think to mature physically and get more powerful and that’s what he did the last two years.”

Once they had him, they also learned he was more than just one of the best players in the league. Favreau was struck by his great English, positive mood and contagious spirit. Lemay was struck by his passion, his work ethic and the way his competitiveness spilled into practice.

“Firstly, he’s a great individual,” added Lemay. “He’s a very good kid. And on the ice, he’s a workhorse who can log a lot of minutes. And what I like at our level, and I’m pretty sure he’s going to do the same thing in the near future at the next level, is he really improved his offense. It was already starting to improve last year but it really took the next step here in terms of offense. But what people really underestimate is how good he is defensively and how hard it is to play against him. Like he can block shots, he’s got a very good stick, good gap, and he can finish his check as well. He can do it all.”

When they parted ways after the season, Favreau and Lemay both knew the Sabres had a good one.

Favreau describes his game as “so stable” and “so reliable” but “yet very skilled.”

“I think he’s an NHL player,” Favreau simply said. “At the NHL level he’s going to be classified as a two-way defenseman but somebody who can escape out of trouble, make a first pass, bring a little bit of offense, and probably one of the best sticks that I’ve seen in my eight years in the Q, and I’ve seen a lot of really good defensemen.”

• Like (+1) 1

Nathan Paetsch is getting a front-row seat to Komarov’s rise. He was a player development coach with the Sabres when they drafted Komarov and has since moved up to coach the defensemen in Rochester where Komarov is expected to play this season. Because Komarov came to North America when he was 17 years old, the player development process was smoother than it is for other Russian players. Paetsch needed Zoom calls and a translator to have conversations with Nikita Novikov, Buffalo’s sixth-round pick in 2021. But he was able to drive up to Quebec to see Komarov’s games and take him out to dinner. Komarov’s English improved quickly as he was surrounded by people who spoke the language, too.

Paetsch noticed something special about Komarov as a person, describing him as someone who has the “it factor.” When Paetsch drove up to watch Komarov’s games in Quebec, he would often call Sabres assistant general manager Jerry Forton to tell him he thought Komarov was the best player on the ice.

“It was consistent,” Paetsch said. “There were first- and second-rounders on the ice, and I thought he was the best player. By the second half of that first post-draft year, I could really see him flourishing.”

Paetsch knows if the draft were held today, Komarov wouldn’t go in the fifth round and thinks the fact Komarov was dealing with the transition from Russia to North America during his 17-year-old season might have caused him to slip in the draft. But Komarov quickly adjusted to life on the other side of the world, which started with immersing himself in the lives of his billets. Paetsch recalled one visit when Komarov’s billet mom pulled him aside to tell him Komarov had snuck off to buy Christmas gifts for her kids. He’d routinely play pond hockey with them, too.

“They helped me a lot,” Komarov said with a smile after a recent Sabres rookie camp practice. “I came and didn’t know any English. I was just trying to learn simple words like ‘hi’ and ‘thank you.’ It was so fun. I was with them for like two and a half years. We still talk. They were so helpful.”

The only issues for both big Russian D is their skating.  There were similar discussions with Samuelsson, but he seems to get around ok.  I hope both guys prove that it's not an issue and can make the jump to the NHL.  We certainly could use both guys sooner than later.  

After this season, the Sabres only have 4 D under contract (Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson and Clifton)

D - RFAs - Byram & Ryan Johnson; UFAs - Jokiharju, Bryson, Gilbert, and Clague. 

It would surprise me at all that we could have Russian 3rd pairing starting in 2026-27 once Clifton is gone as well.    

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I was on an Oilers board and it looks Ike the bloom may be off the rose a bit with Savoie. They started their prospects tournament and apparently Oilers brass is saying he is not physical enough. He has played on the wing the first 2 games and fans are saying it is destroying his confidence and the development coach needs to be fired.

The “How could the Sabres make such a dumb trade” narrative might be dissipating.😁

I liked Savoie but we have enough Savoies. McLeod’s speed and size will fit nicely as a 3C with what Lindy wants to do. And I think people will be pleasantly surprised with Tullio in the AHL this season.

The fact that Eric Tulsky, who is considered one of the best minds in hockey, refused to trade Jack Drury for Savoie tells me the Sabres did well.

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/6/2024 at 5:59 AM, LGR4GM said:

This will be fun for me. Zach Benson is going to be far better than Pronman and others think. Many are blinded by his draft position when he was a top 5 player in that class. 

I sure hope you are right. I am sure those who disagree would also hope you are right! We all want the team to win …

I don’t see the physicality yet, nor the shooting ability, to put him anywhere near the Marchand type category. All the other intangibles are there. I think he needs a good 10-15 lbs of muscle over this and next year or two. Hopefully he added some this offseason. And work on his overall speed and shooting.  

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Gotta hope this guy makes the team and plays well. Last year he seemed to get off to a good start and then faded late. Hes got serious talent. But he has to come through. 

Better yet, hope he doesn’t because there’s still 12 NHLers of a higher quality ahead of him. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Better yet, hope he doesn’t because there’s still 12 NHLers of a higher quality ahead of him. 

But if he has taken the next step, wouldn't his value (Quality) go up? He is the only one i can see with a shot to make the team this year. The rest need to AHL simmer another year.

• Like (+1) 1

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5731519/2024/09/17/nhl-rookie-tournaments-top-prospects/

“But Kulich, despite being the second-youngest of those five first-rounders, looked a clear cut above — like he was ready to play for and win an NHL job with the Sabres. He scored in all three games, scored twice in two of them, pounded his one-timer on the power play and, more importantly, was around and winning pucks, looking really strong.”

I would love to see this kid force the Sabres to take him to Europe and give him a chance to play in Prague.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5731519/2024/09/17/nhl-rookie-tournaments-top-prospects/

“But Kulich, despite being the second-youngest of those five first-rounders, looked a clear cut above — like he was ready to play for and win an NHL job with the Sabres. He scored in all three games, scored twice in two of them, pounded his one-timer on the power play and, more importantly, was around and winning pucks, looking really strong.”

I would love to see this kid force the Sabres to take him to Europe and give him a chance to play in Prague.  

I think everybody knows the Sabres 13/8/3 right now. The 14th forward spot is Lukas Rousek’s to lose.

That leaves 2 spots for the Prague 27. Id be shocked if they aren’t Kulich and Rosen.