Sabres sign Goalie James Reimer

Brawndo

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Idk, this seems like an out of character signing, especially since both Lindy and Adams were recently talking up the UPL/Levi tandem. Maybe that’s still the plan. I hoping this isn’t a sign that UPL could be moved. But he could be a piece in getting a decent 2C/3C. 

I honestly thought it seemed odd too, after going so long without making this move, for better or worse. I even posted about how I wasn’t going to mention it anymore cause they were set with their tandem, regardless of my view

If I had a guess, it’s another sign of the GM being on the hot seat and wanting a failsafe 

Edited by Thorny

On 4/3/2024 at 3:55 PM, Thorny said:

But if they actually use training camp to get this team off and running as if their fans’ fandom depends on it (and it does), a nice healthy camp battle between Levi and a backup candidate better than, checks notes…Comrie is something I’d like to see 

Yes, it’s not going to happen. I understand we have anointed him a spot. 

On 4/3/2024 at 6:16 PM, dudacek said:

I’m not saying adding competition is bad. On the contrary, I’d like it.

I am saying it’s necessity at this position in my mind has greatly diminished.

@dudacek I share your surprise it happened at this point. We even had this convo a bit ago along the lines of how we both didn’t see it happening. Like I said, it’s still nice to see: if anything for the camp battle

it’s a good sign from KA

On 4/3/2024 at 6:18 PM, Thorny said:

I don’t mean to claim it’s not a justifiable risk: merely that’s it’s not such a sure thing, “only real option available, or worth considering” that if it doesn’t work, Adams isn’t amendable to result. It’s justifiable, but it’s also justifiable to want to bring in a more veteran back up so we have 2 kicks at the G2 can in training camp.

Going with UPL/Levi is defensible right now, in the moment, but that doesn’t stop it from being judged purely based on the results it yields. 

Exactly. Like I said, “no stone unturned”. Our only difference is what we’d pay to bring in that competition, I guarantee it  

Edited by Thorny

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

Idk, this seems like an out of character signing, especially since both Lindy and Adams were recently talking up the UPL/Levi tandem. Maybe that’s still the plan. I hoping this isn’t a sign that UPL could be moved. But he could be a piece in getting a decent 2C/3C. 

It would be insane to have UPL part of a package at this point for a 3C.

A 1C, maybe.  No F'n way on a 3C.

(And can't see him being part of a 1C trade.)

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Has a goalie ever been traded for a 1C? Or a 2C for that matter? I did find a reddit thread who did the work for me. They looked at goalie trades since 2010 and the best trades they reported were Semyon Varlamov for #11OA and a 2nd rounder. There’s also Cory Schneider for #9OA. Edit: another tidbit: Sergei Bobrovsky in 12-13 for a 2nd, and two 4th rounders  

Maybe UPL (who’s at his maximum value right now) could net a 3C and maybe we’d have to sweeten it for something better. For all we know, UPL is a flash in the pan. But I don’t think UPL + Levi is a long-term plan and everyone is screaming at Kevyn to be bold.

Edited by kas23
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

Has a goalie ever been traded for a 1C? Or a 2C for that matter? I did find a reddit thread who did the work for me. They looked at goalie trades since 2010 and the best trades they reported were Semyon Varlamov for #11OA and a 2nd rounder. There’s also Cory Schneider for #9OA.

Maybe UPL (who’s at his maximum value right now) could net a 3C and maybe we’d have to sweeten it for something better. For all we know, UPL is a flash in the pan. But I don’t think UPL + Levi is a long-term plan and everyone is screaming at Kevyn to be bold.

Don't expect it to be the LT plan, but for 3-4 years it is.