Sabres sign Goalie James Reimer

Brawndo

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It is a good move and, like the Skinner buyout, it's the move of a team that is serious about trying to be good next season.

They just need to bring in a real 3C and then we can disperse the line of Sabrespacers who are waiting their turn to jump off the cliff.

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic, but I think this is a great move. He’s fine as a backup if Levi falters. If he falters, Levi can play up. In the worst case scenario, we have a $1m goalie in Rochester. Considering we should be good to run UPL/Levi, I think adding a $1m insurance policy is a smart move. 

20 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I can’t tell if you’re being sarcastic, but I think this is a great move. He’s fine as a backup if Levi falters. If he falters, Levi can play up. In the worst case scenario, we have a $1m goalie in Rochester. Considering we should be good to run UPL/Levi, I think adding a $1m insurance policy is a smart move. 

Not sarcastic at all -- Reimer is a credible veteran goalie, and signing him IMHO takes the pressure off of Levi and frees him up to continue developing in the AHL if that's what's best for him.

• Like (+1) 3

49 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m more shocked than common sense says I should be.

It's just Adams has been so stubborn in net, you’d think he’s just continue to double down. It’s who he is, and the two kids are finally at a point where it can be justified.

And given those factors, I wasn’t sure they’d even be able to find a goalie who fit the bill.

Craig Anderson played well when he wasn’t overused, but let’s face it: he was basically retired when we brought him in.

Sad to say, but this is the most established outside goalie this team has acquired since…Neuvirth/Halak?

I mean Comrie, Tokarski, Hutton, Nilsson, Johnson…it’s been a real scrap heap of veteran pickups since Miller got traded.

Perhaps Reimer is there for the kids to lean on for advice and experience purposes, more like a mentor that can step in when needed. Smart people learn from other people's mistakes rather than their own.

Edited by matter2003

I think this kind brings us back to what they did the 2nd half of last year:  UPL the starter. If there are a stretch of games where Levi CAN play a couple times with the big club over a couple weeks, then he is in Buffalo and plays some games.  However, log road trips out west, or stretches where UPL would be playing most games, Levi is in Rochester.  

It appears Ruff does like UPL a lot though. UPL played in 54 games last year, starting 51 of them. I think Ruff uses him a bit more and he starts close to 60, barring injury.

Edited by mjd1001

I'm encouraged because many posters here whose opinions I respect are encouraged.

That said, I can't help but reflect on how this move tends to suggest that Adams was a teenager fumbling for his d1ck (stick tap @SDS) when he force fed Levi minutes as a rookie. What a debacle. A season laid to waste, right out of the gate.

41 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

It is a good move and, like the Skinner buyout, it's the move of a team that is serious about trying to be good next season.

They just need to bring in a real 3C and then we can disperse the line of Sabrespacers who are waiting their turn to jump off the cliff.

I first read this as "dispense" and was like damn.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm encouraged because many posters here whose opinions I respect are encouraged.

That said, I can't help but reflect on how this move tends to suggest that Adams was a teenager fumbling for his d1ck (stick tap @SDS) when he force fed Levi minutes as a rookie. What a debacle. A season laid to waste, right out of the gate.

I first read this as "dispense" and was like damn.

Oh for sure.  These are the moves Adams should have been making last summer.  Oh well, atleast we’re getting some of it now. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Little by little this is starting to look like an NHL franchise again. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterExpat said:

Helpful if players get hurt too.  

41 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I think this kind brings us back to what they did the 2nd half of last year:  UPL the starter. If there are a stretch of games where Levi CAN play a couple times with the big club over a couple weeks, then he is in Buffalo and plays some games.  However, log road trips out west, or stretches where UPL would be playing most games, Levi is in Rochester.  

It appears Ruff does like UPL a lot though. UPL played in 54 games last year, starting 51 of them. I think Ruff uses him a bit more and he starts close to 60, barring injury.

0 goalies started 60 games last season fwiw.  UPL was one of 5 to start 50.  

I like reimer as a backup plan, but the plan should still be to get levi a good chunk of starts.  

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

This is a good move. Levi needs to be in Rochester. Hopefully we can get .900+ out of our backup. 

According to Lance, Levi will be in Buffalo. 🙄

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Little by little this is starting to look like an NHL franchise again. 

Just now, inkman said:

According to Lance, Levi will be in Buffalo. 🙄

You sure about that? 

• Haha (+1) 1