Will Adams acquire a legit top 6 forward or 2/3 center before next season? Who do think is still available to acquire?

Will Adams Improve the Forwards before next season?  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Will Adams add a top 6 forward before next season?

• yes
    • no
  2. 2. Will Adams add a 2/3 Center before next season?

• yes
    • no

48 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I’ve said for a couple years that he wasn’t considered a top prospect and that he wasn’t held in high regard within the Sabres organization let alone the league. That doesn’t mean he can’t prove everyone wrong but Buffalo is definitely not counting on him to be a difference maker.

2 more years in Jr impo stunted his development. He needs the AHL challenge. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2024 at 2:51 PM, LGR4GM said:

2 more years in Jr impo stunted his development. He needs the AHL challenge. 

I agree.  The CHL rules really hurt Savoie.  If he had been 1 day older, he'd have played all season in the A and likely be viewed as a excellent prospect after averaging a pt a game as 19 year old.

His height is also an issue right now in the NHL.  All through the draft coverage the analysts talked about the draftees being 6'2 or taller.  They also talked about how big the Panthers were (only 2 regulars were under 6', Erod and Cousins - both listed 5-11).  

This is not a bar to Savoie succeeding in the NHL, but if teams are now valuing bigger players it will drive down the value of smaller guys even ones as skilled as Savoie if the skill set isn't viewed as "elite."

Personally, I think he is going to prove them all wrong.  I see Adams' failure to secure real forward help as a huge opportunity for Savoie, Kulich and Rosen and I believe Savoie is the best of the bunch.  The kid centered Benson in Wpg and I can see him beating out Krebs to play between Zucker and Greenway.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I agree.  The CHL rules really hurt Savoie.  If he had been 1 day older, he'd have played all season in the A and likely be viewed as a excellent prospect after averaging a pt a game as 19 year old.

His height is also an issue right now in the NHL.  All through the draft coverage the analysts talked about the draftees being 6'2 or taller.  They also talked about how big the Panthers were (only 2 regulars, Erod and Cousins - both listed 5-11).  

This is not a bar to Savoie succeeding in the NHL, but if teams are now valuing bigger players it will drive down the value of smaller guys even ones as skilled as Savoie if the skill set isn't viewed as "elite."

Personally, I think he is going to prove them all wrong.  I see Adams' failure to secure real forward help as a huge opportunity for Savoie, Kulich and Rosen and I believe Savoie is the best of the bunch.  The kid centered Benson in Wpg and I can see him beating out Krebs to play between Zucker and Greenway.  

You would put Savoie ahead of Kulich as a prospect? I'm not saying you are wrong, just surprised at your ranking. 

As you point out, sometimes what seems like a vulnerability can in the end turn out to be a fortuitous opportunity. If any three of the prospects you mentioned become this year's version of a Benson, then the angst is reduced. 

Carolina is very interesting. 

They have 21 signed players on their roster right and have 4 RFA with 11.8 million in cap space.

Those four RFAs are Seth Jarvis, Martin Necas, Jack Drury and Dylan Coughlan. 

Including those 4 players they have 7 players who can play Center. 

Jack Drury would be a trade target for 3C 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You would put Savoie ahead of Kulich as a prospect? I'm not saying you are wrong, just surprised at your ranking. 

Yes,  I think his game is more complete and I think he is a better all-around O player.  I see Kulich as JJP lite.  Good goal scorer who long-term should be a good 2-way NHL forward. Someone like Jason Zucker.  By the way Zucker didn't establish himself in the NHL until 22.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Quinn can play centre, right? So I guess the 3C vacancy is potentially covered even if it’s a top 6 winger we add. So that should help with options 

Zucker - Quinn - Greenway, could be fun 

Edited by Thorny

22 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’ve said for a couple years that he wasn’t considered a top prospect and that he wasn’t held in high regard within the Sabres organization let alone the league. That doesn’t mean he can’t prove everyone wrong but Buffalo is definitely not counting on him to be a difference maker.

He looked very tentative in his very limited NHL minutes.  Hopefully he just needs to calm down and let it flow.  

3 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

NHL TRADE RUMORS: JETS EHLERS LINKED TO SABRES FOR KULICH AND ÖSTLUND

By

Bill Scott

-

July 5, 2024

Ehlers may be our best chance at this point for a top 6 talent upgrade. However, he has a m-NTC (10 teams), thus he has some say where he goes, if he goes. 

I do wonder if Eden’s Iafallo might be a cheaper and more logically target.  He has a bit of an off season last year, but is normally a 35-40 pt player with good energy.  He has no trade protection, and is on the last year of his contract ($4 mill).  I can see Adams getting him for a 3rd or 4th rd pick and holding onto our prospects until the deadline if we are in contention.  By then he’ll know if Krebs, Savoie or Kulich are ready to be 3C’s in the NHL.

Someone brought up moving Quinn to center.  I’m not sure he ever player center in Jrs.  I do think JJP could make the switch.  Not sure if he has played center either. Eliteprospects.com lists JJP as a W/C, but Quinn as just a winger.  I’m kind of grasping at straws here to find away using our signed players to somehow force Krebs to earn the 3C job.  

If you trade for Ehlers or Iafallo, that might give Lindy the bodies he needs to experiment with someone like JJP & Quinn at center and force Krebs to actually earn the opportunity.

4 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

NHL TRADE RUMORS: JETS EHLERS LINKED TO SABRES FOR KULICH AND ÖSTLUND

By

Bill Scott

-

July 5, 2024

I hate myself for googling this guy and checking this website.  This is a clear indicator that I, too, am desperate for KA to bring in a good forward.

Having said that, the question of 2 plum assets for an Ehlers rental is certainly more interesting than a price of 4 plum assets as previously rumored.

At that price, @Thorny might be able to talk me into it.

Ducks Rumors: 8 Teams Interested in Trevor Zegras

"According to The Fourth Period, the Montreal Canadiens, Philadelphia Flyers, Nashville Predators, Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Calgary Flames, and Buffalo Sabres are currently in the mix for Zegras."

So half the league? 😂

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/07/ducks-rumors-8-teams-interested-in.html

image.png.1153ccf5a7ae6961cac6c35275d827d8.png

Kings Rumors: 5 Teams Connected to Arthur Kaliyev

"According to The Fourth Period, the Dallas Stars, Montreal Canadiens, San Jose Sharks, Buffalo Sabres, and Ottawa Senators are all connected to Kaliyev at this juncture."

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2024/07/kings-rumors-5-teams-connected-to.html

image.png.f6d694dcc2b17eda3337feaf8a051414.png

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Picking up Zegras or Kaliyev given the “Ruff overhaul” of team identity over the past week would be…interesting?

Given our need for playmakers I’d be interested in Zegras.  The deal would be half of what it would have been a year ago.  His playmaking skills would elevate Quinn and Cozens.  

I guess the questions are cost and how improved is his 2-way game.  

Greenway and/or Krebs would have to be part of the deal.  A lottery protected 1st plus Kulich and Greenway for Zegras and a 3rd?

JJP TNT Tuch

Zegras Cozens Quinn

Benson McLeod Zucker

That’s a pretty good top 9

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Given our need for playmakers I’d be interested in Zegras.  The deal would be half of what it would have been a year ago.  His playmaking skills would elevate Quinn and Cozens.  

I guess the questions are cost and how improved is his 2-way game.  

Greenway and/or Krebs would have to be part of the deal.  A lottery protected 1st plus Kulich and Greenway for Zegras and a 3rd?

JJP TNT Tuch

Zegras Cozens Quinn

Benson McLeod Zucker

That’s a pretty good top 9

Personally I have no interest in Zegras; I just don't trust him to work hard.

Just now, thewookie1 said:

Personally I have no interest in Zegras; I just don't trust him to work hard.

It's probably always come easy for him.  Maybe this last dreadful season showed him that you have to work to make it in the NHL where even the "worst" players are among the best in the world.  

Ruff would certainly be a good mentor for someone like Zegras.  Ruff has always worked for everything and he'll hold players who aren't working accountable.  KA likely won't acquire him without a consult with Lindy.

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Well the “No’s” were wrong about the 3C.  Is it to far fetched to think the “No’s” could be wrong about a top 6 forward?  I voted No by the way. 

If the initial intent of the questions were not to be specific about a top 6 forward or a 2/3C, but rather to just ask "will Adams do anything else?", then I guess the no's were wrong. 

But, looking at the actual question ("Will Adams add a 2/3C...?"), I would say that the "no's" were correct.  Adams did not add a 2/3C, he added a 3/4C. Also, a lot of (most of?) McLeod's offensive production last year came when he was playing wing on a line with Draisatl.  Barring a quite significant and unexpected surge offensively, McLeod is closer to a 4C or bottom-6 winger, who can play-up if needed, than he is to a 2C.  My opinion, on reflection, is that depending on who thrives in camp and how the season goes, we could see our current bottom-6 level centres (McLeod, Krebs and Lafferty), move up and down the line-up and from centre to wing based on need.  That is a bit of an obvious statement.  But it wouldn't surprise me if McLeod was targeted as much with that in mind (roster flexibility), as it was with the idea of him being cemented as our 3C. 

On the topic of whether we will add a top 6 forward, my answer on this is still "no".   I acknowledge that I could be completely off-base, but until proven otherwise I think the evidence supports we are operating under an internal cap of around 90% of the cap ceiling. We were one of the lowest spending teams each of the last 3 seasons and coming out of the biggest spending period of the off-season we are still one of the lowest spending teams. Based on UPL opting for arbitration, I think it is clear that the Sabres are not offering anything like a 5x5, which is not an unreasonable position for them to take, but I think shows we are not throwing around money.  I suspect our 3 RFA's will come in under $7 million total and that will take us to around $80 million.  I maintain that Zucker was a Canada Day pivot when it became clear an Ehlers deal was not going to get done; had we made the Ehlers deal we would not have signed Zucker. Of course, I could be very wrong.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.