Zemgus to Tampa 3 years, 850k AAV

Brawndo

8 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

We paid him 2.5M AAV, yikes!

He takes a little less because of Florida tax reasons and the term they gave him. Otherwise the 1 million (a little more for some a little less for others) is your proper 4th line number. I suspect the only reason he signed here for the previous contract was the huge overpay for a 4th liner. This time we likely only offered him a year at less than that 2.5 . He made the smart choice. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Locomotive has left the station.

41 minutes ago, Alaska John said:

If you put together a roster of former Sabres still active in the league you certainly have a better team than what they've got now.  I think ZG makes that castoffs roster a little better.

He'll be a solid add to the Lightning who are desperately trying to win one more before their core ages out.

An ex-Sabres team would bludgeon a current-Sabres team in a playoff series (unless Ullmark got injured, because your ex-backups are Comrie and Johansson).

However, Zemgus might not even dress for that ex-Sabres squad...

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Brawndo said:

The offer was probably higher. I think he realized moving on was the best option at this point 

This is the dangerous part of the cycle for Adam’s. He’s been around long enough that the “nobody wants to come/be here” is not an inherited problem. 

When mediocre players start taking way less money to leave during your 5th off-season you’ve gotten too close to entering the death spiral that’s plagued this franchise the last 13 years. 

(When it comes to Girgs, I think he’s a “fine” bottom 6 player. Like Eichel, and ROR, and Reinhardt, and Mitts, and Skinner we are so starved for a real hockey team that we judge some of these guys against a role they aren’t cut out to play. All of these guys are fine hockey players when asked to ply within their skill set and value. In properly constructed and coached NHL org they’re good enough players.)

1 hour ago, Mango said:

This is the dangerous part of the cycle for Adam’s. He’s been around long enough that the “nobody wants to come/be here” is not an inherited problem. 

When mediocre players start taking way less money to leave during your 5th off-season you’ve gotten too close to entering the death spiral that’s plagued this franchise the last 13 years. 

(When it comes to Girgs, I think he’s a “fine” bottom 6 player. Like Eichel, and ROR, and Reinhardt, and Mitts, and Skinner we are so starved for a real hockey team that we judge some of these guys against a role they aren’t cut out to play. All of these guys are fine hockey players when asked to ply within their skill set and value. In properly constructed and coached NHL org they’re good enough players.)

One thing to keep in mind on the Girgensons deal is it MIGHT just be a 1 or 2 year deal where he gets his full $s this year and maybe next & them he gets 2/3 of what's left the last year (or 2).  Which makes the deal $1.1MM/yr x2 or ~$2MM x1 yr.  (That's what  they were reportedly trying to do w/ Stamkos - low $/yr x 8 years w/ a buyout after 2 or 3 years.)

• Like (+1) 1