Kevyn Adams: likes where his group's at

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

Getting a late 20’s player on an expiring contract is different than getting an overdone Eric Staal or even a Taylor Hall with a full NTC.

This player should be motivated to have a good year and to showcase his skills in order to get one more big deal. Whether he re-signs with Buffalo, leaves at season’s end or is traded at the deadline will be determined over the course of the year. Relationships can be cultivated, team success can change perspectives or another failure can bring prospects.

As discussed once or twice, KA has tons of picks and prospects to get a top seven player, who is preferably a C.

How many teams are willing to move a center - with no trade protection - for futures? 

Most contenders aren't moving a player for picks/prospects unless they are against the cap.  And even then, they might be looking for a player more than prospects.

Most bad teams are basically trying to do the exact same thing as buffalo.  

https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/active/2025/caphit/all/center?stats-season=2024

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Good stuff @tom webster.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to criticize KA for not being able to convince Ehlers or Necas to sign extensions, if that's what some posters here are inclined to do.  Those guys are 1 year from UFA -- they aren't going to give that up to sign extensions in NHL Siberia.

Then the question becomes how much are you prepared to give up for 1-year rentals who mentally have one foot out the door upon arrival and are likely to play that way all year.  I'm not inclined to give up that much for that kind of player, but YMMV.

I agree. Winnipeg supoposedly wanted Krebs, #14 plus two top prospects or one and an unprotected #1 next year, that is an awful  lot for one year of Ehlers even if they threw in Iafollo.

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I agree. Winnipeg supoposedly wanted Krebs, #14 plus two top prospects or one and an unprotected #1 next year, that is an awful  lot for one year of Ehlers even if they threw in Iafollo.

This fanbase has become a powder keg.  It’s going to blow.  Kevyn keeps shortening the fuse with his “build a team” philosophy.  If the Sabres don’t get off to a good start, the arena will be 2/3 empty by Christmas.  I don’t think any fan would have objected to the trade proposal you stated.  The goal isn’t to win every trade, it’s to win hockey games.  Eee-Sock Rosen and Peyton Krebs and whoever was selected with those pics don’t matter.  He needs to maximize the talent on the NHL roster today. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I agree with you and @tom websterthat the price for rental players such as Ehlers and Naces is too high. That's why in hindsight, the trading of Mitts for Byram appears to be a misjudgment. Wouldn't it been better to sign Mitts to a deal and then pursue a lesser talent than Byram but a more available physical defenseman?

I have said it before that the trading of Mitts for Byram was a fair deal for us assuming that there would be a credible 2/3 C replacement for Mitts. This is still an open issue that can be reasonably resolved. 

On 7/1/2024 at 4:34 PM, LGR4GM said:

Adams complacency is scuttling the franchise.  He really has faith that Tage Thompson and Dylan Cozens are going to lead the Sabres to the promise land?  I don’t.  Honestly, there are less than 5 players on this roster that have any business being on a contender.  The team will be garbage again because they are relying on completely unreliable assets.  

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

Adams complacency is scuttling the franchise.  He really has faith that Tage Thompson and Dylan Cozens are going to lead the Sabres to the promise land?  I don’t.  Honestly, there are less than 5 players on this roster that have any business being on a contender.  The team will be garbage again because they are relying on completely unreliable assets.  

While I agree on Adams, most of the players on this team would help contenders if slotted correctly.  If we learned anything for this past season with the Flordia Ex-Sabres winning the Cup, Mitts becoming the 2nd line C for Colorado and all of our castoffs signing with contenders, it’s the management of the team that's the problem.  

• Agree 1

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

most of the players on this team would help contenders if slotted correctly.  If we learned anything for this past season with the Flordia Ex-Sabres winning the Cup, Mitts becoming the 2nd line C for Colorado and all of our castoffs signing with contenders, it’s the management of the team that's the problem.  

fair point.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

While I agree on Adams, most of the players on this team would help contenders if slotted correctly.  If we learned anything for this past season with the Flordia Ex-Sabres winning the Cup, Mitts becoming the 2nd line C for Colorado and all of our castoffs signing with contenders, it’s the management of the team that's the problem.  

It shouldn't be a surprise that a player joining a more talented team is going to do well with the more robust team after leaving the lesser team. One doesn't have to be a hockey insider to recognize that the Sabres not only lacked talent but that the talent deficit was more exposed because of the coaching and roster construction.  The Mitts departure is magnified because (so far) there a credible replacement hasn't been found. It just seems that we are spinning our wheels. We fill a hole and then create another hole. You can't catch up to the big boys when you keep spinning your wheels. When will this carcass be resuscitated? It gets so tiresome to see the same futile behavior repeat itself. We're buying the same ticket to nowhere. 

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

I read this in one of the threads and liked the sound of it. I am tired of just saying 3C, wanted to change it up.

Derek Roy is a good comparable to what I am looking for.

If the guy is good enough to make Cozens 3C or move him to the wing, even better. A player that is closer to 4C will be useless filling in for TNT or Cozens in the case of injuries.

Right now it seems like KA is penciling Krebs as 3C and most of us agree that is a big risk. Lafferty can play 4C but Krebs could learn even more from the new guys than he did from KO and Girgs. Lafferty, Aube-Kubel and Malenstyn never came into the league expected to score and be the new shiny toys. They embrace the opportunity to play on the 4th line and muck it up. Krebs can play bigger with guys like this.

Marco Rossi might be your Derek Roy.

Savoie might be your Derek Roy.

Rossi is ready now. Savoie could be ready.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you and @tom websterthat the price for rental players such as Ehlers and Naces is too high. That's why in hindsight, the trading of Mitts for Byram appears to be a misjudgment. Wouldn't it been better to sign Mitts to a deal and then pursue a lesser talent than Byram but a more available physical defenseman?

I have said it before that the trading of Mitts for Byram was a fair deal for us assuming that there would be a credible 2/3 C replacement for Mitts. This is still an open issue that can be reasonably resolved. 

I think he was painted into a corner with the Cozens contract since Mitts outplayed him last year. 

• Agree 1

I've thought about this phrase and remembered how he's used it many times over the years and I think it's his way of saying "all our trades fell through" or "I'm not making any more trades for now". Those sentences piss off fans and make people think there will be no additions. Instead he just says "I like where we are at" to give it a positive more hopeful spin. 

But really, it means Krebs is your 3C. 

9 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Really?   Using buffalohockeybeat?   

Benson and Savoie played WHL Juniors together, that is not in the minors, not ever.  Benson is still 19 and is not eligible for minors (pro).  Learn what these terms mean.  

If Savoie is ready to be the 3C in the NHL right now I will be happy.   Based on his limited action last season it is a stretch to think that.  But maybe we can count on good luck.  Most people see him as a winger.  

9 Zach Benson – 93 Matt Savoie – 49 Filip Cederqvist

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-prospects-notebook-zach-benson-matt-savoie-showcasing-chemistry

Matt Savoie showed why he could be a prime candidate for a Sabres roster spot this season after tallying a pair of highlight-reel worthy goals in a 6-3 win over the Montreal Canadiens in the Sabres’ first Prospects Challenge game Friday evening at LECOM Harborcenter.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/buffalo-sabres-prospects-challenge-win-over-montreal-matt-savoie

The Sabres top pick in 2022 had an advantage over most of the players on both clubs, playing all night with junior linemate Zach Benson. The chemistry and familiarity between the two was apparent on most shifts.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nhl/articles/savoie_among_three_stars_for_sabres_at_prospect_challenge/s1_17253_39264780

If there’s a positive sign toward the future of the Sabres, Savoie’s 71 points in 34 WHL games this past season are a good hint that he may be ready to jump right to the NHL.

https://buffalohockeynow.com/2024/05/08/sabres-grades-prospects-and-depth/

• Thanks (+1) 1

I just don’t want to be rooting for one of our rookies to beat the odds and slot immediately into 3C. That’s what needs to end.  Even if we have a few guys who might just pull it off. 

one positive note is most guys we acquired are 27yo. prime time

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Good stuff @tom webster.

I don't think it's necessarily fair to criticize KA for not being able to convince Ehlers or Necas to sign extensions, if that's what some posters here are inclined to do.  Those guys are 1 year from UFA -- they aren't going to give that up to sign extensions in NHL Siberia.

Then the question becomes how much are you prepared to give up for 1-year rentals who mentally have one foot out the door upon arrival and are likely to play that way all year.  I'm not inclined to give up that much for that kind of player, but YMMV.

This is fair.  He could do worse damage by giving up too much for one year of a good player.  Like he already did in the Mitts deal, Byram has one year, then what?   

So, target players with more term.  

Edited by Pimlach

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This is fair.  He could do worse damage by giving up too much for one year of a good player.  Like he already did in the Mitts deal, Byram has one year, then what?   

So, target players with more term.  

At some point people will realize we keep declining trades to protect a future that doesn’t arrive specifically because we are implementing that process. How is that not a fruitless pursuit? The scenario we fear where we overpay and it screws us and we are left with an anchor and our team is absolutely terrible is *not worse* than what we’ve already seen lol. Where we already are. We ensure there is no future by refusing to pay what’s necessary to compete in the now.

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

At some point people will realize we keep declining trades to protect a future that doesn’t arrive specifically because we are implementing that process. How is that not a fruitless pursuit? The scenario we fear where we overpay and it screws us and we are left with an anchor and our team is absolutely terrible is *not worse* than what we’ve already seen lol. Where we already are. We ensure there is no future by refusing to pay what’s necessary to compete in the now.

Yes,  but this example gets into a specific case of a potentially costly acquisition of players with one year left, and who will not renegotiate because they are facing UFA status and want to hit their payday.  What are Buffalo’s chances ?  So my solution would be to approach other GMs about players with term and if you overpay a bit to compete in the now then you must do it.  

20 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Why?   So he pays Mitts more than his current 3.5M that the Avs are giving.  He had the cap room, especially with Skinner bought out.  

It’s not about cap space; it’s about “culture”.  Doubtful KA wants to tell Mitts he’s offering half of what he gave Cozens.  I don’t care how much they get along, that would sting. 

1 hour ago, Mr Peabody said:

I think he was painted into a corner with the Cozens contract since Mitts outplayed him last year. 

The contract that Mitts signed with Colorada was a very reasonable/manageable contract with respect to term and AAV. Mitts was a 2/3 C who could move up to the top line when needed and keep it functioning as a top line. He was also versatile enough to play the wing. My issue with the Mitts trade is that there didn't seem to be a backup plan to replace him. 

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The contract that Mitts signed with Colorada was a very reasonable/manageable contract with respect to term and AAV. Mitts was a 2/3 C who could move up to the top line when needed and keep it functioning as a top line. He was also versatile enough to play the wing. My issue with the Mitts trade is that there didn't seem to be a backup plan to replace him. 

Welcome to KA clown world

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

I It's inarguable that Skinner isn't well rounded enough for this staff, but when placed in the right situation he is an accomplished goal scorer. Why not keep him for another year?

Ruff trying to establish a culture ? Skinner was doing nothing for long stretches. 

Yes, they do need more. Hoping. 

2 hours ago, Night Train said:

Ruff trying to establish a culture ? Skinner was doing nothing for long stretches. 

Yes, they do need more. Hoping. 

I have no problem with moving on from Skinner. That's not the issue. Who is replacing him or Mitts? If you don't have a plan to fill the void, you are creating more deficits. Subtracting talent is easy to do. Adding talent to surpass the talent you dispatched is what a GM is supposed to do. As things stand right now, he hasn't done  what he gets paid to do.